Crime? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Crime? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kenneth Kilpatrick
Username: Vanman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was reading a Chile forum yesterday and a Brit, maybe an American, not sure, living in Cordoba was asking about life in Chile. He was very concerned about finding a place where he wasn't getting robbed repeatedly. A couple of months ago I was reading a Uruguay forum where it appears most expats there had experienced a burglary. I've read many times that the southern cone is pretty safe from violent crime. It appears however that theft is a serious issue. Or am I wrong and it's overblown? Stay out of the biggest cities and it's a minor issue? Thanks!

Kenneth Kilpatrick

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let me add I'm not running Argentina down, just curious about what to expect. The Chile forum I referred to generally likes the Mendoza area, but overall they're very critical of Argentina. I chalk it up to rivalry,, maybe some envy. There are some very good reasons to like Argentina. I like the size of the country. The northwest reminds me of the American southwest. Every corner of the country has worldclass scenery. Argentines love camping, movie theaters, and reading. Buenos Aires has huge bookstores with from what I've read an excellent selection in English in some. I am curious about the theft issue, but no one has to sell me on the country. Just waiting to get there and want to be well informed when I do. Thanks.

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is petty theft, not violent crime in many parts of Argentina. My suggestion to any gringo is to minimize your exposure (don't leave you laptop in your truck for example), don't flaunt your money and possesions and you will be fine.

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all
I´m living in Mendoza and I see gringo in the street with their cameras, laptop and all technology. You know, is normal in other country, but in Argentina it is a problem.

Good luck

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is always a risk of petty crime in urban areas around the world and Buenos Aires is no exception. The crimes in BA are fortunately rarely violent. There is a lot of "snatch and grab" crime like purse snatching. Much of this is done by young people who are fast and know the city streets and can disappear in a moment. Slighty older youths can grab a bag and jump on the back of a waiting motorcyle with the licence plate covered and roar away with your belongings. Pick pockets are also widespread. Always be careful in crowds, on buses, trains and subways. If you use a backpack be careful what you pack. A zipper compartment can be opened skillfully and the contents empties. A small lock on it? A razor knife can open it up no problem. There is also the "bird poop" scam where someone squirts mustard on your shirt or dress when you are not looking and then points to the sky suggesting a bird just dumped on you. Then they and often an accomplice come over with hankerchiefs to clean you off and clean you out. They are pickpockets. I see this crime or attempted crime reported all the time in other Argentine forums. Taxi drivers in general are honest but there are others who will scam you in several ways. The easiest is to take a long indirect route to your destination. Others will play games with your money. Give them a 20 or 50 peso note and they will hand it back to you and say it is counterfeit. The bill you get back is indeed fake but it is not the bill you gave them. Even with small bills ... they will switch a bill and suggest you gave them less than the fair... you will be certain you gave them a 5 peso note but they hold up a 2 peso note and complain you didn't pay them the full fair (that one happened to me). Always carry small bills. I even carry 10 pesos in coins. That is one thing they can't scam you on. If you must pay with a large bill...hand it over to the driver and tell them the last 4 digits of the serial number are....9999..whatever they are. If they hand you back a bill with a different number they are trying to cheat you and ask to be taken to a police station. There are also problems with opportunistic crime in BA. Many decent people go to work, are good at home and otherwise are honest and good citizens. But if you were to leave your camera unattended, or your laptop, or do something stupid like that...some of them will think...if she is dumb enough to leave this out..I am smart enough to take it.

Rules. Never carry you passport. Scan it and print a few color copies. Carry a copy with you. Original in your hotel safe or room safe. Wear no jewelry or a fancy watch. Buy a small camera..pocket sized. As I said carry small bills and put them in both pockets. Be aware of your surroundings. If you see a group of kids coming towards you be a little more proactive. Have a plan for the day ...dont just wander aimlessly especially at night. Take a card from your hotel and carry it to show to a taxi when you want to be taken home. If you feel uncomfortable anywhere step into a shop or cafe and wait or ask someone there to call you a cab.

I love BA and I have never had a problem outside of a minor cab scam. My wife is Argentine so that helps. And I am 6'3 tall and 300 pounds...so that helps a bit too.

It is a great country and great city but like everywhere a little bit of caution is warranted. Most people visit Argentina and never have a bad experience but a few do..dont be one of them.

Kenneth Kilpatrick

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Couldn't ask for better info than that. Thanks!

Leandro

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think the problem is where and when you are walking with technology. For example in mendoza around quinta sección I think not is problem, but if you are walking in the night this is a problem.
The solution is: not walking is necessary running jajaja

Kenneth Kilpatrick

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Leandro, Luckily I'm a poor gringo, no fancy technology here! But I get your point. If I look like a rich tourist I'll become a target.

Leandro

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kenneth
You know, in general the argentinean people think if you are from other country you have money and think you have only dollars. I don´t know why they think that it.
Maybe is the answer why the people from other country, created the EXPAT GRUP. Because all are in the similar situation.
good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration