Broadband Internet Access Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Broadband Internet Access « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hector Quintana
Username: Hgq2112

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My original research suggests that for a price, true broadband internet can be had, at least in parts of Buenos Aires. However, following the adage about not always believing everything I read...can anyone chime in on their own personal experiences with broadband internet access? What are the average downlaod and upload speeds that you are getting consistently? How frequent are system down times? Anything would be helpful. TIA.

Pacopancho
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's been almost a year since that post, and still no answer, so I imagine there won't be much of an answer to my post now, but just in case, how much does broadband internet cost in buenos aires? Even a rough figure would help as I am preparing a budget proposal. Thanks.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pacopancho

I use Fibertel - it costs me about 130 pesos a month, but it largely depends on how fast your connection is and whether they provide the modem etc.

You can find details of their pricing at www.fibertel.com.ar

With regard to system down times, I find that probably once every 2 or 3 months the system is down for an hour or two. I don't know how typical this is - I've heard stories from others about more frequent outages, although not recently.

I hope that helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 0557001927, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0557001927

Pacopancho
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Simon, for that info. It helps me prepare a budget to start with.

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Simon, glad to see you are still around. I am in Buenos Aires trying to get Internet. In the States when I order broadband I get . . . well . . . broadband. Here they want to know do I want 3 megs (promotion right now and good price) 5 megs, ten megs (about $500 plus a bit pesos a month which is pricey) or 15 megs (I didnt ask). I have no idea what I need. I use it for business (mostly writing but some graphics--just resizing and stuff like that) and calls on Skype.

I have called Fibertel and those are the prices I was given. They are going to get back to me, perhaps today. Sure appreciate any help.

Our building manager says he has had Telecom for 4 years with nary a problem--ever. He says it depends on where you are in the city how good it is. As always I sure appreciate any input.

Arial

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 82

Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Arial

Yes I'm still around, although I've been a bit quiet of late on here. I've got the 3 megas service. It's fine for what I do, I even watch video streaming over it without any problem (e.g. BBC News).

With Fibertel you can easily change your connection speed product online. I would suggest starting with a lower speed, then you can always bump it up if you find you haven't got enough bandwith.

Cheers

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 0557001927, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0557001927

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, that settles it. Many thanks. And glad you´re still here!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration