Getting a Residency Visa in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Getting a Residency Visa in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Parkinson
Username: Codepress

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there,

I have just found these forums and they look like exactly what I need.

I am a UK citizen.

My business partner and I are planning to emigrate to Argentina in just over one month's time.

We are going to start a business out there, but when I start researching about visas, and then company incorporation, office rentals without guarantea's - I get overwhelmed by all the information.

I have decided to concentrate first on applying for my residency visa. (I am going to incorporate and start the business once I am in Argentina).

Does anyone know any really good resources to help with the process of obtaining a visa?

I have contacted ARCA (http://www.argentinaresidency.com) and although they seem good, they are trying to charge us $7000 US Dollars for 2 Visas - this does seem a little high.

Does anyone know what the quickest and most cost effective way of obtaining a visa is?

Any help given by those who know would be gratefully received.

Best Wishes,
Phil

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My best friend used AFN Visas Intl last year and they charged U$ 1200 for residency visa and U$ 200 for DNI, total U$ 1400....price is probably 30% higher now because of inflation, but still must less than the U$ 3500 per person you described. They are professional, courteous, effective, and fast.
Good luck! http://www.afnvisas.com

Living in Patagonia
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I strongly suggest not using AFN Visas. We were extremely misguided by them. I won't bore anyone with the details, but I do think it is important for others to know about our experience, they did not look out for our best interest.
On the other hand, Lorena at http://argentinaresidency.com/ is very pleasant and professional.
Just remember you get what you pay for!

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Phil, I used AFN Visas. I am very pleased with them, though as you see others are not. But you will find that some have also posted about good experience with AFN.

Maybe it depends on the type of visa. I suggest finding out from the naysayers what the problems were. For example, my visa is jubilado, meaning retiree. I think that Apartments BA may have posted that he was unhappy with AFN and obviously Soulskier was not. Perhaps Apts and Soulskier applied for business visas. It could be that AFN is not so good with other types of visas.

I admit I paid less with AFN but no one could have done a better job for any price.

I hope you will let us know what you decide and how it works out, either way, for the benefit of those who may come after you.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We also worked with AFN and were very happy with their services. It has always seemed to me that ARCA is overpriced and although I have heard some good things I have also heard a lot of complaints about their fees. In the past I was contacted several times by Lorena to advertise their services on my site but I just wasn't comfortable with their high fees and all the comments I had received. While it is definitely possible to get screwed if you try to go the super cheap route, it's not necessary to spend thousands of dollars either.

Arial has talked very positively through out her experience about AFN in old posts and I think that speaks volumes right there.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Living in Patagonia

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At least ARCA offers a money back guarantee. When AFN hosed us, we were still out lots of cash.

Mark
Username: Lostintheandes

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe I am naive but my wife and I got our residency visa ourselves. We also have done all the DNI paperwork and are awaiting it. Yes it was a lot of research and work and tears(tramitus and my wife don't mix). Start with the Argentinian embassy in your own country is my best advice. It took us about 3 weeks and was painful,(not 3500$ worth of pain).

Living in Patagonia

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ours was and is way more complicated because we used our property for an investment visa.
You people with cash flow each month, aka rentista, have it much easier.

Mark
Username: Lostintheandes

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I misspoke...it was 3 months, not three weeks

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Easy mistake. 3 weeks in ARG is like 3 months in the States.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You could always do it the easy way and marry an Argentine woman. That is what I did. We have a son who was born in the US and we just found out we can register him as an Argentine citizen quite easily. It is called "citizenship by descent". We present his birth certificate, my wife's, our marriage certificate and fill out a form and we are good to go. No fees. We have to go to the consulate in New York (we live in Connecticut) when everything is done to sign the certificate. He can then apply for a DNI and Passport on the spot. He is 19 months old so we apply obviously. For me it takes some more copies of certificates, forms and background checks and 400 US dollars or so in fees and I get a perment visa based on marriage. I plan to move to Argentina in about 3 years or so when I retire (depending on the economy in the US and Argentina). Seriously I wish you luck in your business and your quest for the proper visa. Argentina can be very slow and old fashioned in the processing of legal documents.

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another way is have a child born in ARG, then both parents get full residency.

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just want to note that while we have heard criticism of AFN, we have heard none of ARCA. That is interesting. I hope that if anyone who now comes on this forum has problems with AFN you will post it at the time of the problem. They know that I recommend them and if anyone had a current problem I would go and say what is going on!? These people are not happy!

Not that that would make a difference--but it might. And also it could make a difference with me!

Living in Patagonia
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For the record, we had a long discussion with Fabio, the owner of AFN.

I really like him, and quite frankly I believe many of the mistakes made were as a result of his employees, not him.

Nevertheless, from our experience, I would not recommend AFN to others.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration