Freelance writing work for English sp... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Freelance writing work for English speaker in BA? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Corinne Reynolds
Username: Cormalee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am hoping to get advice/information about freelance writing opportunities for English speakers in Buenos Aires.

I am a U.S. citizen considering a short-term move to Buenos Aires (for 6 months to a year), beginning in Feb or March 2009. Here in the U.S. I make my living as a grant writer for a nonprofit organization, and I was previously a journalist. I would be coming to BA with some savings, but would be hoping to earn some money (perhaps $500 U.S. per month) while there.

I am wondering if there are many freelance writing opportunities for English-language publications in Buenos Aires? Are any of you doing this type of work? If so, how easy is it to find work, and what do you earn?

There's also the issue of a visa. I would most likely be coming over as a tourist, however, if I did do freelance writing work, would that mean I would need to apply for a work visa?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Corinne

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is fairly difficult to find paying jobs in Argentina that take advantage of your English speaking and writing abilities. Argentina has both tens of thousands of native english speakers either living permanently or temporarily in Argentina as well as hundreds of thousands of native Argentines who speak some level of English...some of them very well. Many english speakers go to Argentina with the hope of tutoring people in English but here are so many offering the service it is barely worth the effort. The main English language publication in Argenina is the Buenos Aires Herald. I am sure they get inundated with people seeking a position.

Two possibilities. You could try and secure a job with a US based publication before you leave. That is clearly your best option. Or continue to do work for a company in the USA but remotely. You could work a day or two each week and make that $500.00 per month.

Secondly, I notice that many Argentine websites offer an English language version and in many cases the English is barely comprehensible. Awful translation. I am not sure if you speak Spanish but I always thought there would be an opportunity for a native English speaker to work with Web development firms in Argentina to produce a better quality product.

When you get back you can write a novel. A few recent ones include Kiss & Tango and Well after Midnight at the Nino Bien.

Corinne Reynolds
Username: Cormalee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bill,
Thank you so much for providing all of this information. Its is very helpful!
Best,
Corinne

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Corinne, canīt you continue your freelance work from Argentina for your US clients? I do freelance writing but I have not changed a thing except that I write more travel stuff now. This is the wonderful thing about writing, since the advent of the Internet you can be completely "wired." And with a web cam you can talk face-to-face through Skype with your clients, editors, or whatever.

You might need to make a trip back to the U.S. now and then but you might want to do that anyway and it would probably be deductible. Otherwise I canīt see why much should change.

There is no requirement here if you do freelance work for a market in another country. In fact, there are tax issues if you live here and make money in the Argentina economy. You have tax responsibilities then to two countries. The US will tax you no matter where you go in the world, no matter where your money comes from or how long you live, for the rest of your life. There may be an exemption if you are working as an employee here. But I think it involves filing with two governments. It is important to be careful not to end up paying double taxes. Best to check with an international accountant.

You can have checks deposited directly to your US account. Of course you probably already know you are supposed to cross a border out of Argentina every 90 days. But if you are in Buenos Aires, Uruguay is nearby.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree that freelancing remotely from the U.S. is your best option. Remember that you will usually be paid in pesos if you do work in Argentina and that's if you are successful in finding work with all the competition for jobs.

Also, Arial mentioned about leaving every 90 days to renew your visa, I just wanted to add one correction to that...you can actually go to Migraciones every other time so you only need to leave the country every 180 days.

Good luck on your quest.

Laura
Moving to Argentina Ebook
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Arial
Advanced Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura is correct and I should have added that. I understand there is a fee to be paid also but I have forgotten what it is. Guess Iīm the cautious type. When I was living here on a tourist visa, I always thought what if I go to Migraciones this time and then something happens that I canīt cross a border next time. Then I would be here illegally. But I guess it just amounts to a small fine if that happens. But for me I always felt more comfortable playing it safe and just made the crossing every three months. But there are options, all of which have been covered in this forum--including penalties if you end up being here illegally. You can do a search (upper right on this page) and find those posts. And Laura, thanks for keeping the info accurate. We appreciate you!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration