Argentinean TV in the US Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Argentinean TV in the US « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabriela
Username: Gabyrink

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know this is a forum for expats living in Argentina, and as an Argentinean living in the US, this question may seem backwards, but does anyone know how I can get Argentinean TV in the US? I do get TELEFE as part of my Cable package, but I'd like to be able to get other channels (like Channel 13 from Buenos Aires, etc.) I heard of a "slingbox" but I am not quite familiar with it, and don't know if it really works. Has anyone tried it? Is there any other way?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gabriela, here you can watch canal 7 live on internet. Where in the US do you live? I will try to find out from friends.

Gabriela

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
I live in New Jersey.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok. If I find any information I will post it here.

Linda Murray
Username: Linda57

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gabriela - I saw your post right before I opened the Sunday newspaper. In today's ad for Best Buy, there is a SlingBox advertised for $299.99 USD. They also list a SlingCatcher for the same price but there is no description. I am pretty sure if you go to a Best Buy store or their website you can find out more. Good luck!

Gabriela

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Linda
Do you know of anyone who has used the SlingBox successfully?

Linda Murray
Username: Linda57

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No - but I know there are many foreign families in my town, including some Argentines - I will try to see if anyone knows about it. We are the headquarters for Dow Chemical, so there are many South American and European families here. There must be someone that has tried it!

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife is Argentine and we watch Telefe via JumpTV. They used to broadcast Canal 9 but stopped recently for some reason. They still list is as coming soon. You can watch other stations on the web but they generally are not the best stations or of poor broadcast quality. I have a computer attached to my computer via a DVI to HDMI connection so the picture is as good as it gets.

Our cable station used to broadcast Utilisim on the spanish package (the only Argentine channel they offered) but that ended a couple of years ago. I miss Maestro the chef.

Some of the satellite companies Dish Netwrok and the other one..cant think of it..offer expanded Spanish channels including a few Argentine stations. Go to their website and check it out.

Slingbox will work if you have someone in Argentina who has a slingbox and will dedicate a cable tv hookup to your needs in the USA. I believe Slingbox allows you to access cable remotely. So somebody there has to hook it up. I will check and get back to you on the specifics. Not cheap either.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I should proof read. I have a large screen tv attached to my computer via a video card and a DVI to HDMI connection. I get a very good pictue from JumpTV...so so from the other stations that are free and broadcast over the web.

The other Satellite provider is DirectTV. Go check out their website and Dish...you will see many stations offered in Spanish...how many from Argentina I am not sure.

Also the station my cable company used to offer was Utilisima....very nice station if you like to cook and do stuff.

For slingbox it looks like what I said was true. You need someone in Argentina to hook it up to the cable TV and the internet. It turns the internet into a very long set of video and audio cables. I will look some more into the details but you do need 1. Someone in Argentina with the Slingbox. 2. A cable connection to sling box (not sure if it has to be dedicated or can be run off the line going into the house). 3. The slingbox must be connected to the internet. Probably via a cat5 line and router. 4. Software on the TV here in the USA that control the slingbox. 5. Both ends need to have very good broadband internet connections to work well I suspect. 6. Finally you will probably want to hook up a tv to your pc. \

Gabriela

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, the saga continues... I was given a Slingbox as a Christmas gift. My mom and my sister are in the US now for a visit but will return to BA with the Slingbox in a month. I read through the instructions, but I don't think my sister would be able to follow them. Has anyone installed a Slingbox there and has experience? I'll be willing to pay for the installation.
Thanks!

Gabriela

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration