Contract work in Argentina - impossible? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Contract work in Argentina - impossible? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi to everyone!

I am running a small business, and it's possible we may have a project for a client that would need me to have 4 or 5 additional employees...

however the project would take 6/7 months, and then I may have no work for these extra staff.

In the UK, we would simply take people on a 6 month contract, with an agreed start and end date. At the end, we would part ways, everyone happy, or possibly extend etc.

My accountant says this isn't an option in Arg/BA! You have to take people on full time, and if you need to get rid of them, pay compensation ie. SAC, holiday and a months pay...

This seems ridiculous to me - surely this hinders entrepreneurs aand businesses in this country - can anyone confirm or suggest options available?

Gracias a todo!

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps if you used expatriate English or American citizens living in Argentina and pay them under the table (or in the black as the Argentines say). There are 10's of thousands of ex-pats in Buenos Aires and many of them post here and elsewhere trying to come up with a way to make some money. They find it difficult or impossible to find a real job because of visa restrictions. Many resort to English language tutoring but they are a dime a dozen. You could advertise in the BA Herald. That might skirt the laws and you could have an understanding with your people that the job is temporary and when it is over...it is over. A thought anyway.

Adam Walker

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Bill, but while I have thought about "Black", I need to do this "above the table"...

I'd have thought I could get them to sign a disclaimer stating they will not be able to claim any compensation when I terminate the relationship...

Any ideas anyone?!

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 268

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is an easy way:
If your "contract workers" have their own CUIT numbers and are Monotributos, they can bill you for services, weekly , monthly etc...based on whatever terms you put together in a contract. I am surpised your accountant didn't mention this. Please run it by him/her.

Adam Walker

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

good idea as usual WTMendoza... I am surprised as well - my accountant is normally very knowledgeabl, but pretty cheap, so he will miss htings now and again

There are agencies here (Adecco etc) offering contract work in their windows - how is it they can set up contractors?!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Non-argentines or freelancers as Bill and Sean have mentioned is the way to go. Make sure you understand all the implications as if they spend time in your office using your equipment and such, a witness could argue "dependencia". Labor laws can be a pain.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration