Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Violence? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you were born or raised in a nation that has been traditionally stable, it is a good idea to open up your mind to a whole different experience and be on the alert for the unexpected... or may be not that unexpected.

I recently read that a group of students took on the central office that regulates public colleges in Argentina, the rectorado de la UBA. I had an instant flashback to the days when I was just becoming a teenager. At the time -around 1974/1975, another crisis was brewing and schools and colleges were the favored ponds where extremist organizations would fish for members. It was a time when everything was very politicized and it wasn't uncommon for us to come to school -I was 13 years of age approx.- just to find out that specific student groups (left) had taken over our classes and teachers had been dismissed. There was chaos around and a peronist President at the helm. The number of classes missed were count in months, not weeks, not days, not hours. And students, back then just like now, could overpower educational boards with an ease that would defy the senses.

While I was reading this article I couldn't help but to feel very sad. It reminded me of a time when students would disappear from the streets and school. In my own school, there had been 17 students (of about 17 years of age) that had been tagged as "missing" (their bodies never found) and not too long after these events, I witnessed the last military coup.

On the tail of this piece of news I came across this other article by newsweek which alerts of a potential violent outcome stemming from the farmers conflict... This is what I would like to highlight today: our society -the argentine one-, has for good or for bad, been too used to solving problems in a violent fashion. Contrary to other societies where the population as a whole would think twice before altering the statu quo, it has become just to easy for us to think in terms of decimation only to start afresh. If history rhymes, I am only hoping that this time the correspondance in sound is as bad as it could possibly be.

(Message edited by admin on May 31, 2008)

Ricardo
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wanted to let every one know of a recent scam experienced by friends. They received a phone call at their apt. at about 9pm saying that an unidentified female was in an accident involving a taxi. She gave their information for them to come to help her. The taxi company was sending a taxi to pick them up so that they could come assist this woman.Fortunately, they called an Argentine friend who advised them to ignore it as they knew no such female.

Ricardo
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was wondering if anyone knows where in BsAs to view this important film by Warren Buffett, Pete Peterson and Dave Walker which is beign released today. thank you, Ricardo

Don’t Miss the One-Night-Only Event Featuring I.O.U.S.A. , Followed By a LIVE Panel Discussion...

with Warren Buffett, Pete Peterson and Dave Walker

Aug. 21, 2008 in Select Movie Theatres Nationwide

The premiere of I.O.U.S.A. is just two days away and the excitement continues to build. Movie theatres are already selling out for this one-night event, so we urge you to click here to buy your tickets now.

As I’ve explained before, the live event on Aug. 21 is our one chance to fill up theatres and have the critical message of the film heard. To help put “butts in seats,” the discussion following the film will be broadcast by satellite to a theatre near you. It will feature Warren Buffett, Pete Peterson and Dave Walker. Also on the panel will be William Niskanen, chairman of the Cato Institute, and Bill Novelli, CEO of AARP. It will be moderated by CNBC’s Becky Quick. It promises to be an exceptional and lively event.

If we’re successful on Thursday night, the film that will be showing in 400 U.S. cities will have a much greater chance of rolling out to theatres across the country. That’s why we need you, along with your friends and colleagues, to come out and see the film.

I’ve included the link to the trailer for you to watch and pass on to your friends.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration