Legal question regarding oaths Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Legal question regarding oaths « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Francisco
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi. i have a question regarding oaths (juramento). According to my own personal religion, i do not believe I can make an oath (ie. swear on the Bible). In countries like Australia and England, the law allows one to 'affirm' that something is true without having to 'swear'. Is there such an allowance in Argentina? I am asking because my wife is interested in becoming an Argentine citizen and I imagine she may be required to be 'sworn in' or something. Are people allowed to just 'affirm' instead of making an oath in Argentina?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fransisco, I believe you received a private message by Luciano. My own personal experience is that I once declared by oath over the constitution without having to involve God/religion. This was a military oath and I was given the chance (juro por la patria, etc...). You may want to find an expert as my answer may just be anecdotal.

luciano pereira
Username: Luciano

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Roberto I don't know why the message remain private instead of Public:

Original message
As long as I know -correct me someone if I wrong - there are 4 variants of oaths and affirmations (2 oaths and 2 affirmations to be more exactly). I don't really remeber exactly how they are but they go from swearing over the bible and the fatherland up to promess respect of the constitution and the democracy. In most of the time the 4 variants are enough broad. In this issue all the public acts are very respectful of this kind of differences including even the military ones. I hope this helps

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Luciano, I think you may have tried to publish it via email and at this time I haven't been able to make that functionality work... will try to fix this (when I have some spare time).

Francisco
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the information... by the way, i never did receive any "private message" from luciano. I can't even find the button for where to access the private messages.

As far as the oaths go, if anyone has any official information (e.g. an official website, etc) where the law is clearly written, that would be the most helpful.

Oaths regarding patria, etc. are still not acceptable for my faith. In England you can just say, "I affirm that such and such is true...". I am hoping that that option will be available in Argentina.

luciano pereira
Username: Luciano

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Short answer:

There are 3 oaths:

1. Juráis por Dios y estos Santos Evangelios respetar fielmente la Constitución Nacional y las instituciones de la República?
2. Juráis por Dios, respetar fielmente la Constitución Nacional y las instituciones de la República?
3. Juráis por la Patria y vuestro honor respetar fielmente la Constitución Nacional y las instituciones de la República?

But law 24.533, art. 2º says "No podrá negarse la ciudadanía por razones políticas. ideológicas, gremiales, religiosas o
raciales”. (Texto según Ley 24.533, art. 2º, B.O.: 14/9/95)"

When you can't take the oath for your belief the authorities can change it to be in relation with your believes most of the time is something like "promess respect and according to your believes respect to constitution and democratic institutions of Argentina"

This is kinda the fourth variant, always is better to tell this before the day of taking the oath to have things right, it is no trouble, if you need further help let me know

This is the Legal long answer:
The three "main oaths are from DECRETO 3213/84 Reglamentación de la Ley 346- (texto actualizado con las modificaciones introducidas por el decreto 1601/2004)
B.O: 19/10/84 –

art 7

1. ¿Juráis por Dios y estos Santos Evangelios respetar fielmente la Constitución Nacional y las instituciones de la República?
2. ¿Juráis por Dios, respetar fielmente la Constitución Nacional y las instituciones de la República?
3. ¿Juráis por la Patria y vuestro honor respetar fielmente la Constitución Nacional y las instituciones de la República?

But you have to understand all legal regulations I mean

Ley 23.059 que restableció la vigencia de la Ley 346 de 1869
Ley 346 Ciudadanía y Naturalización (con las modificaciones introducidas por las Leyes: 16.801 , 20.835, 24.533 y 24951)

• DECRETO 3213/84: Reglamentación de la Ley 346 con las modificaciones de los decretos 231/1995 y 1601/2004.
• LEY 23.059: Derogación de la ley de facto 21.795 y Restablecimiento de la ley 346.
• LEY 16.569: Nacionalidad argentina de los hijos de argentinos nacidos en el extranjero durante el exilio de sus padres.
• LEY 17.692: Nacionalidad argentina de los hijos de argentinos que prestan servicios en organizaciones internacionales
• LEY 23.732: Condecoraciones extranjeras - Autorización a los ciudadanos argentinos a aceptar y usar condecoraciones y honores otorgados por los estados con los que la República Argentina mantiene relaciones diplomáticas.
• Resolución 20/96 Registro Nacional de las Personas: Incorpora diversos elementos de seguridad en el diseño e impresión del modelo de Carta de Ciudadanía.

Nota a la ley 346:

Ley 346 y sus modificatorias 16.801 y 20.835: fueron restituidas en su plena vigencia por ley 23.059. B.O.: 10/4/84

Listado de normas modificatorias incorporadas al texto:

Ley 16.801, B.O.: 3/12/65
Ley 20.835, B.O.: 13/12/74.
Ley 24.533, B.O.: 14/9/95.
Ley 24.951, B.O.: 15/4/98

Specially: "No podrá negarse la ciudadanía por razones políticas. ideológicas, gremiales, religiosas o raciales”. (Texto según Ley 24.533, art. 2º, B.O.: 14/9/95)"

(Message edited by admin on May 07, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration