The Dream and The Realtiy Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » The Dream and The Realtiy « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Erin Aguirre
Username: Ebbie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Please note: The Reality hasn't taken place. All of this is still in the inner trappings of my mind:-)

The Dream...
Husband and wife in their 30's move to BA with their 2 young children. Wife telecommutes making US$, husband finds work in BA. Children attend great schools and get international exposure, thus making them more well-rounded, worldly individuals.

Rent apartment in a nice, safe area. Live a comfortable life, not about living the high life. Fly back to the US once or twice a year to visit with family and friends. Ultimately, have the best of both worlds, a life in a foreign country, but still having the US aspect in reach.

The Reality...
Husband and wife in their 30's move to BA with their 2 young children. Wife telecommutes making US$, praying she never loses her job because they will be screwed. Husband has incredibly difficult time finding work in BA and when he does it's not the pay that is needed to help balance out potential financial burdens. Children attend great schools and get international exposure, thus making them more well-rounded, worldly individuals. However, parents have made irrational decisions and have to withdraw children from great school.

Rent apartment in a nice, safe area, but end up paying the same if not more than they did in the US. Live a comfortable life, not about living the high life. No worries about high life, just worried about day to day now. Fly back to the US once or twice a year to visit with family and friends, but can't afford the plane tickets. Ultimately, have the best of both worlds, a life in a foreign country, but still having the US aspect in reach. Not seeming so realistic from this perspective.

I am interested in hearing others personal journey's. What was your dream? What ended up being the reality?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a similar dream and I think it is doable (at present). Just visiting BA I was particularly attracted to Palermo Viejo and all its cozy pubs and restaurants. A comfortable life, perhaps. Although I can't speak from a personal experience, I tend to think that these days the "dream" part is a larger component in the equation and as years go by it will be a mixture of what you describe as "reality" and "dream".

A simple 'touch of reality' note. In this period of Argentina's development, workers and unions are being favored just like 'professionals' were the ones favored during the 90's and 'mom n pops' shops during the 80s -looks like we will all have our decade-. This sets the stage when it comes to where the money is going or how is being distributed (re-distributed) with the current government. I am sorry to have added this. I believe you actually wanted some of the expats members of this forum to share their experience.

Erin Aguirre
Username: Ebbie

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't be sorry! I love your input. What you said is valuable and true. The dream is required, but the reality is what you have to work with. The whole idea is very overwhelming. I can't imagine what happens with people who don't strategically plan for moving abroad. Usually I "go with the flow", but having children changes that. Taking risks now impacts people who depend on me to make wise decisions. I have not given up on the dream, but I have come to the realization that this must be carefully planned, anticipating any possibilities.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 185

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think a real reality is that you have to pad your living budgets here perhaps more than you thought- inflation is a historical demon in Argentina, and it is indeed rearing it's head over the last 2 years - especially the last one year, and it does not seem to be slowing although it hard to tell sometimes when you are living it. Otherwise, the rest of your concerns are natural and is real life - but at least you are planning. If you fail to plan you plan to fail - good luck and most importantly, have fun!

Gloria Melgar Estevez
Username: Glorita

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Erin,

I've have a similar dream that I have entertained many times. I think that many times in life there is a fuzzy line between a reality and a dream, due to changes brought about by life(the inflation Mendoza mentioned is an example). Adding kids into the equation surely changes things, I know as I have two myself. By the way how old are your kids?...Mine are ten, and four. I have not buried my dream, just tweeked it and I may continue to tweek it depending on what life brings my way. I share Mendoza's philosophy when he says, "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail". My dream is now to live in Argentina, at least on a part time basis when my children are older(perhaps when they are college bound).

I have many friends, that have come to the US from Argentina and then after a year or more have gone back to Argentina, later to return to the US. Just last year my closest friends after being in the US for six years and working very hard(two, to three jobs at a time), saved up money and bought land in Cordoba where they have small houses built for renting out. Then I have another friend who comes and works here six months(he stays with family here) out of the year and goes back to his family the other six(this works for him because his kids are now older and don't need the constant care and parental vigilance that younger kids require).

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 186

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The most important reason why me made the move almost 3 years ago from the USA , was because of our kids, two boys who are now turning 11 and 15. This was to show them life outside of the USA, in a Latina American country full of built in family values that for the most have not chnaged in the last 50 years...much like some other things here LOL. My wife is Argentine and probably went through the toughest culture shock returning to her country after 15 years in the USA. I am much more used to it things, having been dealing with Argentina since first living in Buenos Aires in 1982. Our 11 year old was the easiest to pull out of the USA, and our 15 year old was right at the cusp of major resist, but now he is tighly integrated into the scene, friends, etc.

In spite of some frustratuing things here, like the incredibly culturalistic desire to "dirigirse en persona para hablar el tema personalmente", we ..3 years later...can't be happier for our kids as we know that in the end parenting is the most important, the second most important influence is the kid's surroundings, social, and leearning network.

We ware talking about sending our oldest for a year in Australia, a year in the USA, or something like for high school, to keep the divisity going- we will see. They attend a pretty challenging school here also so we feel lucky in that regard also.

Gloria Melgar Estevez
Username: Glorita

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mendoza,

I do think that your idea of kids having exposure outside of the US is a good idea. I don't think however that exposure necessarily means living outside of the US permanently. When I was a teengager, my parents sent me to Argentina to stay with my grandparents during summer vacation. It was life changing to have this experience. I didn't attend school there, but I took private classes...music, art, etc. that got me more in touch with young people my age. I actually met my husband when I was there...he was a university student at the time who also had a printing business.

What it all comes down to, is doing what works for each person/family....tweeking things, as I stated. I'm already thinking that in a few years, I will be sending my daughter to Argentina to stay with my friends in Cordoba and family in Rosario....I can send her to you too Mendoza...LOL...I'm also going to send her to Germany where my sister-in-law and her family live.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 187

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gloria,

We could certainly explore more the options of kid-swapping for some short term stays - Flordia/Mendoza - let's keep in touch on email on this - we are always looking for quality places to send our kids - so far I have good friends and family in France, England, Australia, and USA , with a big gaping hole in the far east ...:=>

I don't consider anything permananet in this life - this is an ongoing life venture for us and our kids, we want ur kids to be mentally ready to live in mutiple countries in different stages of their life is that's what they want - and while this may mean they miss out on the memories of going to the same school and having/living amongst the same group of friends for years all through their schools, we think the life quality upside of diviersity is far greater than those memories and relationships that started in middle school and go all the way through high school in the same place and country. We think. What do you think?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration