Buying books - returnable? Taxes? Tax... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Buying books - returnable? Taxes? Tax Refundable? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are books taxed in Buenos Aires? Books seem quite expensive, at least some that I checked.

I could not communicate (still learning!) with the seller, so wondering if anyone here has any input on these questions:

1) a book shows up as AR$79 on the Cuspide book store computer. Is that price before tax? How much is the tax ?

2) Is there any return policy for books? Or for generally anything bought in Buenos Aires, like clothes? Or are things never returnable?

3) For travelers - I presume only places that refund taxes are those with the Tax Refund sign in the shop? So places that don't have those signs, anything purchased there, is not eligible for tax refund if that person departs from the airport to other countries?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most prices will have the taxes already priced in, otherwise the sales rep. (or the text in the web page) would say AR$79 + IVA. Argentina has no sales tax, but taxes to "added value". Which economic agents are responsible for "adding value" along the commercial chain will depend on how each one has set up their tax structure at the time of registering their business with AFIP -our local IRS-. But I should have saved you from this introduction as books fall within the exceptions for this tax, therefore they are exempt.

You can exchange books just like in the US as far as I could check (Ateneo)... Returns and refunds are possible but you should study the policies for each bookstore. Ateneo will accept books within a 5 day period and only if it hasn't been opened (sorry, this is for CDs).

Not sure about #3.

(Message edited by admin on March 15, 2008)

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks - I found out a bit more.

Basically, books have no tax, so there is no tax refund possible.

Also: even for things that are taxed, unless the shop is part of the Tax Refund program, taxes will not be refunded. So, if you pay taxes in a shop without the blue colored Tax Refund sign, then those taxes are non-refundable.
There are other rules about tax refunds, but that info is available elsewhere with a web search - for example, there is a minimum purchase amount, and correct forms have to obtained and filled in at the time of the purchase, etc. Just ask the vendor at a shop with the Tax Refund shop.
So, in all, the Tax Refund is not as widespread or easy as in Europe.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration