Toilet Etiquette, no tirar papeles en... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Toilet Etiquette, no tirar papeles en el inodoro « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So much that the tourist and living guides don't clearly clarify

In some countries the toilet pipes are unable to handle paper, so it is prohibited to flush toilet paper down the toilet. Of course, paper towels/napkins are prohibited from flushing down the toilet in every country.

So, two questions:
1: In Buenos Aires, all toilets are next to a bidet - so does this mean that they don't stock up on toilet paper? Toilet paper is sold in stores, so not sure what the "accepted", or "customary" practice is with regards to toilet paper - is it always available, or may not be available, etc?

2: In a small restaurant bathroom, I saw a sign "no tirar papeles en el inodoro". Now this place had both the papel higienico (toilet paper) as well as paper napkins. So presumably the sign was referring to paper napkins - those are not be flushed, and not to the toilet paper - which is ok to flush. Correct???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Toilet paper is always available and is always flushed down through it. The bidet is one example of european habits we inherited. Once you try it you will never go back. It is used as a complement of the paper although its uses are varied, for example, many people clean their feet inside. The bidet is particularly useful for women as it also has a shower that works in reverse. I have known a lot of americans that have used it here and fell for it and I know of one case of a woman who imported from Europe and mistakenly placed it in her living room.

Many doctors will recommend using the bidet as a complement of toilet paper to prevent rectal problems. Really, it is a useful feature and I can't comprehend why it still hasn't been adopted by people in the US or why 5 stars hotels do not yet have it.

Your #2 inquiry is essentialy correct. The paper referred to in the sign was the *thicker* one, not the toilet paper.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration