Options for doing laundry? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Options for doing laundry? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Living here for a few months, need to figure out how to do laundry! Last time I did it I ended up paying per unit of clothing, and that turns out pretty expensive.

Are there any better ways to have laundry places do a whole bagful? Travelling in the US there are places that charge per pound weight of clothes, is there something similar in Bs As? The words in the laundries I say seemed confusing, and pointers here appreciated. Near Plaza San Martin, if it matters.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paying per unit of clothing - that sounds like you're living in a hotel.

Downtown in the Cap Fed there are laundries on almost every block. Most charge by the bagful, my local one charges 9 pesos for washing, drying and folding, the one round the corner is similar. If you need your washing ironed look to pay about the same again.

Hope this helps

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

B Wooster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Simon - that helps a lot - what Spanish terms should I ask for, or look for on the pricelist to say "laundry by the bag"?

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laundries are called "lavanderias" (I hope I've spelt that right). I'm not sure that most of them actually display price lists (my local one doesn't), so just take your bag in and ask.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will give you an address later this afertnoon. There is one around the corner and I am two blocks away from Plaza San Martin.

B Wooster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found quite a few places on San Martin near MTdeA and Paraguay, now I just need to talk correctly! I did take a bagful of clothes last time - but they ended up doing ironing, etc which I did not need and that is probably why it cost much more than 9p or 12p per bag which seems to the going rate.

All I need is washing and folding - and these are all cottons. That is what I hope to learn in Spanish soon!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ask them how much for lavado y doblado ONLY. Tell them you want your clothes dobladas pero sin planchar. The one I know is on MT de Alvear between Suipacha and Esmeralda, about half block on the right side going west. I forgot to pass by today but will try again tomorrow... if I can remember.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BW, the name of the place is LAVADERO LAUNDRY and is located at MTdeA 861. They have a service called "valet" which is done for you: lavado, secado y doblado (washing, drying and folding but NO ironing) and it goes for $12 pesos per bin. I think a bin holds a substantial amount but they aren't huge.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration