Hard to get coins? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Hard to get coins? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So I thought I could stock up on 50 to 100 1p coins from the bank at the airport, but the teller did not cooperate! She said can't give so many coins, ended up giving me only 14 coins.

1p coins go very fast - bus, train, newspaper, etc - and in stores, cashiers tend to try to avoid giving coins, asking for 1p, 2p to round off.

So how do people get coins? I'm considering going to banks every week, to exchange US$20, and get as many coins as they will give me. Anyone have other ideas?

Christopher Henson
Username: Sandiegochris

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My answer when asked by a cashier if I have coins (monedas) or small bills to round up is always and emphatically NO!! Then you get some change. It is like playing a game of chicken, the first person to flinch in the battle for change looses. It is the cashiers job not to give change, but if they want to sell something bad enough they will FIND change. I have never been to the bank to ask for rolls of coins, but imagine they will sell them if you ask for only a roll at a time....not absolutely sure though. I have a HUGE bucket of change here because of my tactics. Good luck in the Argentine Olympic sport of getting change.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 155

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have my own strategy to keep a pockt full of coins, which works well, but if I had to take the bus and subte everyday I'm sure I would be in a world of hurt also.

On the other hand, so the banks (not exchange houses) have been on notice that the fine is now 10,000 pesos when they don't hand out coins to ANYONE that asks...according to this article:

http://www.losandes.com.ar/nota.asp?nrc=422120

Has anyone tested this?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was a recent issuance of coins by the Central Bank (I think) but noone knows where they went, as noone has seen them. This has been a constant and permanent malady since the beginning of time, possibly since Colombus ships landed on America's shores. Don't asky why.

When I first went to my local grocery in Miami beach and got two rolls of quarters I thought I was dreaming. I literally kept them as a treasure not to be spent.

Anyway, when i need a little change i walk to the closest Kiosco and buy a chocolate coin and pay with a $5 note and look the other way as I know they Kiosco dude will hate it. Since there are 3 Kioscos per block in 100 meters I can hoard quite a few, haha. Seriously guys, everytime you are on the streets make it a routine to get some.

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I heard a story on the news recently, the mafia are behind it!

I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but I heard they stock up all the coins, and literally sell them back into the economy for double their worth... something about the metal being worth more than their real value

Taxistas always have a good supply of coins, so it maybe worth asking one of those next time u r in the taxi, how he gets his wads (probably from the mafia they control a lot of taxis out here at major stations/air ports etc etc).

As the guys have said above, I tend to always have a big pocket of change, just because I refuse to gve shops any when ask... it's not too difficult to get a couple of pesos a day in change that way. Equally, I dont get the subte/bus anywhere, so I'd probably would find myself changeless if I did this 5 times a week!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration