Prices in Buenos Aires - Feb. 2008 Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Prices in Buenos Aires - Feb. 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a quick rundown... All prices are in pesos.

Cabs start $3.10 and each banderita is $0.31
Tomatoes $2.50/kg
Apples $7/kg
Pears $6/kg
Peaches $3.99/kg
Carne de ternera $17/kg
Vacio $10.50/kg
Gas $2.40/$2.60 per liter
1 espresso/coffe $4.50

1 kg = 2.2 lbs (roughly)
1 liter = 0.264 gallon
1 peso = usd 0.32

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

New prices...

Yogurt (like Activia) $2.10 for 2 small containers
Whole wheat bread $5.90 - $7.00 the loaf

Prices get cheaper as you travel to other provinces. In Mendoza tomatoes were at $1.50/kg and potatoes a lot cheaper.

Another piece of information. There is an all-you-can-eat buffet (with meat too) in Recoleta called "Comer". We spent usd $14 per person last night and this included beverages and desserts. A good deal. So not as cheap as in 2002/2007 but food still very affordable. About the only thing I found expensive is clothing and in particular tennis shoes.

Another note, I have noticed a big jump in prices since my last trip on Feb 2007. That is only 1 year ago. Considering another year of strong commodities exports and firm international prices -in addition to salaries adjustments- all leading to inflation, I think foreigners living on hard currency will see yet further deterioration in purchasing power.

sean giovanni
Username: Giovanni

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been living in Buenos Aries for a little more than a year now. Things are much cheaper than in The States (certainly half of the cost of, but usually two thirds less). However, this year there has been a raise in many items. My health insurance jumped almost 4o%, the fair for the train rose 30% and even my favorite candy bar rose 25%. I donīt know how much this trend will continue, but that and the decline in the value of the dollar should be taken in consideration.

Giovanni

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This seems to be happening everywhere. I have read that it is the first time in history that no country is on the gold standard and all governments have complete freedom to create money at will, thus inflating their currency. I think Roberto is right. People on fixed incomes are really going to be hurting. I think it is something to think seriously about and plan for. We can`t fix it. It is the nature of governments to inflate once all impediments are removed, and the nature of people to clamor for "free" stuff. Maybe someday people in the US will wake up and demand that the constitutional limitations of the gold standard be honored once again in the US. THAT would fix it but probably there will have to be a lot of pain before that happens. I am not familiar enough with Argentina`s history to know if they ever had any such standard in the past.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There used to be a legal correlation between the currency and gold reserves. It was called 'patron oro' and was set at the turn of last century and later abandoned in the late 20's. The central bank has always had gold as part of its reserves like many central banks. I just heard last night that Argentina has become a very large gold producer and that there are projects with Chile to exploit one the largest mines in the world. Didn't know anything about it... But reserves aren't directly related to any 'gold standard', of course.

Rosemary Fry
Username: Rofry965

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be interesting to post prices for some of the things that were mentioned, just as reference. I'm in Northern Colorado about an hour north of Denver. I realize the economies are hugely different, but at times I just am astonished at the worlds of difference.

This morning I was again researching dentists in Mexico as we just cannot afford to continue our dental insurance which I'm sure is cheaper than most peoples (my husband is retired military) but at $105USD per month ($330 pesos) and then cost shares per procedures that only average coverage at 50% there is no way to afford all the care I myself need in U.S. So it's save up and head down to Mexico when we can and save the monthly $$ that we can't use anyway.

Thanks for this forum, we haven't made it to Argentina yet but have been researching places outside of the U.S. to eventually settle. Roberto thanks for the list of prices, it's always interesting to see the differences.

Cab Denver Airport to downtown Denver - about $50 USD with tip ($157 pesos)
Cab in Fort Collins, I had to take a cab, trip length about 7 miles (11km) and it cost me $15USD ($47 pesos) a little over $2.00USD per mile or by my rough math about $10 pesos per km.

Tomatoes - $1.77USD per lb, $12.25 pesos/kg
Potatoes - 5lb bag (appx 2.26kg) $2.50 per bag $7.87 (pesos)
Pears - $3.00 for 2lbs so around $9.00 pesos/kg
Peaches - $1.99USD per lb or $13.79/kg (not peach season here right now)
Beef - hamburger, not sure what the translation is $2.49USD per lb, roughly $17.24 pesos/kg
Beef - roast, rib or "eye of round" $3.49USD lb, $24.20 pesos/kg
Vacio - I believe this is what we call flank steak, in stores it usually runs around $5.99USD per lb, $41.51 pesos/kg
Yogurt (Yoplait 4 to 6oz size) on sale for .70 per container
Activia (think they are 4 or 6oz) 4 pack size on sale for $2.50USD $7.87 (pesos)
Espresso - roughly $2.50USD, $7.87 pesos
Gas - 87 octane or "regular unleaded" about the same $3.09 per gallon in Fort Collins roughly $2.57 pesos per litre
Diesel is running $3.59 per gallon

Rosemary

Gloria Melgar Estevez
Username: Glorita

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rosemary,

My husband had major dental work done in Argentina at a significant price difference. However, he did have to go two times to complete his dental work. For us it was an easy decision to make to go as we are both Argentinians and are fluent in Spanish and have family members over there. There are many places on this forum where you can find more information from others and their experiences on this topic. As with any medical procedure I think you need to be very careful and do your research. Good luck! Gloria

Rosemary Fry
Username: Rofry965

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gloria,

Oh yes I was reading many positive things about health/dental care in Argentina both here and just Googling the topic. Unfortunately airfare makes it pretty prohibitive vs flying to El Paso - probably $1000 per person vs $225 round trip.

I imagine it's going to be a few years before we can realize our dream of coming down to spend at least a few weeks in Argentina, then hopefully also Chile at some point.

The cost savings and different level of care (more time spent, must better manner) makes seeking health care outside the U.S. well worth the research.

Thanks again,
Rosemary

Gloria Melgar Estevez
Username: Glorita

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rosemary,

Yes, I can understand taking into consideration the travel expenses. I can't say I know anything about the dental care in Mexico, but I can say that in Argentina you can get excellent care. My husband was attended by a top dental surgeon who came recommended to us from family and friends in my native city of Rosario. I haven't been on this site too long, but from my short time here, I can say I'm impressed with the the vast/accurate information you can find here. I must say, that I was amazed to see how many Americans are now living in Argentina. Welcome to the forum, and keep up your research.
Sincerely, Gloria.

Stephanie Suzanne
Username: Ssuzanne08

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
I am a student going to do an internship in Buenos Aires from May to August. I have to ask for financial aid for living expenses and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of a per month budget, including cooking at home and going out at least a couple to three times a week. Thank you for any guidance!!
Stephanie

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 235

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto, how about you attach an online plug-in to this thread or a FOOD PRICE thread that allows members to update food prices perioically, in BA and other parts of the country , in a column type format, with dating, etc...that could really help us all as we try to keep up with pricing..I could for sure keep up with the price updates for Mendoza - thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Stephanie and welcome. Would rent need to be included in the financial aid package? If so, you should think on about u$d 1000/1100 per month roughly... as long as you are conservative with your money and you are by yourself this should suffice.

@ Sean, this is a great idea. Let me explore a wiki component that will allow anyone to modify/add information. If I can't make it work and my programmer can't write a small module I will see how to implement this somewhere in the forum. Specially useful at current inflation-times... Thank you!

Stephanie Suzanne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I would need to include rent, and have found places in Palermo, Barrio Norte, Recoleta, and am still looking in San Telmo.
I really want to include a couple to three trips, as this will be my only time in Argentina.
Thank you again for the estimate! This is a very helpful and considerate website, and I am very appreciative!
Stephanie

Francisco
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thank you everyone for the contributions. Just a couple of questions. What can you buy for one peso? And I noticed that some prices included cents. What can you buy for less than a peso?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A little, tiny chocolate and some candy may go for 50 cents.

Stephanie Suzanne

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello again,
I would love to know how much weekend trips might cost originating from Buenos Aires. I would be interested in going for a two night stay, and only hope for an estimate. If anyone has an idea, I would be grateful. I don't have any one place in mind, and am happy to explore!
Stephanie Suzanne

p.s. Roberto, I saw once that you recommended someone that helps to find housing. Would that person be willing to help find temporary housing? I would love the contact info, if you have it. Thank you!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stephanie, I need to do some research about this... If I mentioned Viviana I have to find out if she is still in business. As for the price of a short escapade try Colonia in Uruguay.

Francisco
Username: Pacopancho

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks, Roberto, for the information. It is helpful in that I can get a good idea of how people use their currency. Do people tend to carry a lot of coins with them, or is it just notes?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You are going to need coins for things like paying cabs and the like (they never have change). I always packed a bunch when going out. And always made sure to stack plenty at home. You will also need plenty of change... most stores will not be happy if you try to pay with a $100 bill (pesos)

muireann prendergast
Username: Mp1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Does anyone have experience of doing a PhD (in english rather than spanish) in a Buenos Aires university? I'd really like to study in BA but I'd like to hear some personal experiences first. Thanks and best regards.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Muireann, I do not know of a PhD. Some higher business courses (MBA) may have a few classes in english but probably not the entire thing. You may want to check with the Universidad de San Andres

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 472

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It makes me wonder often when I see the rate of exchange between the Argentine peso and the US dollar. Since I last looked, about 15 seconds ago, the dollar was worth 3.041 pesos. that is a little less than it has been over the last year or so but it is still a good rate compared to the Euro and British pound.

So I would say it is not necessarily the dollar losing it's value in Argentina but the cost of goods are going up. That is only natural with the price of fuel.

When W came to power I seem to recall complaining about gas costing around $1.35 a gallon. It has gone up since then.
An understatement if I ever heard one, to say the least.

hasta luego amigos and amigas

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration