Mendoza real estate Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Mendoza real estate « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Discuss here, please. From fincas to rentals to anything related to properties.

Jim Peers
Username: Maskii

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wondering if these hailstorms would disuade one from buying property around the San Rafael area? Is there an area near either San Rafael or Mendoza City where this would be less of a problem? Or is it something a hobby/retiree finca owner would not find to much of a problem? Jim

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 130

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jim, San Rafael in general does get more hail than Mendoza city, northern and southern suburbs, and Uco Valley. Eastern suburbns like the eastern part of Maipu, San Martin, Rivadavia, and San Rafael tend to get hammered fairly frequently becuase when storm clouds come rolling over the mountains, they tend to need many many kilometers to form into solid storms. Since Mendoza city, north and south suburns, and Uco Valley basically are at the foothills, there tends to be minimal hail storms compared to more east. San Rafael had it's worse hail storm in 50 years last year. It is a great little town though, and if you are doing any kind of agriculture anywhere in Mendoza and look forward to even a small profit, , it is wise to put up hail netting. Good luck.

Jim Peers

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again. So what area would one look for a small finca property in your opinion? I have been looking mainly in the areas around San Rafael. Are the prices for some of these small fincas really 40 to 50k usd?

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I am personally inclined to buy some property in the area uco Valley, the place is awesome. But you should comment on that purpose want to buy property in Mendoza, maybe you care for recreation, for crop production, etc. Good luck
Leandro

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jim

With regards to hail, my girlfriend's uncle has lost majority of his crops over a 4 year period on his small finca in Santa Rosa, near San Carlos. Then you look at Luyan de Cuyo the winery Catena has never been affected by hail.

Does anyone know more about the costs of hail protection? I heard a figure the other day of 1 million USD per hectare!? This seems to be a touch on the high side!

I second Leandro's suggestion of Valle de Uco by the way. It has a lovely feel to it.

Arial, do the rules regarding "foreign" purchases extend to El Bolson as well? It struck me as the place where there would be many organic type options.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 132

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you look at the historical hail maps that the government maintains, it is the case the the Southern part of Valle de Uco (San Carlos, La Consulta, etc) , gets more hail than the rest.

Hail netting has been runnning about 20,000 to 25,000 pesos per hectare.

I agree that Valle de Uc is not only a great investment, but it is stunning.

Jim yes there are properties like that in San Rafael, but just like many fincas for sale in Argentina, they have a lot of work to do to get them back up to snuff, not to mention if there is a structure on it, most likley the plumbing and electrical need updating also. How is your Spanish?

I have not heard of unliited kilometer car rentals in Argentina for many years - that are not priced through the roof, let me know if you find any good ones! Cheers

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 137

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Richard,

I wish I could tell you about El Bolson. We asked for a map several places that would show the zona seguridad and could not get a straight answer. Some told us there is no map, it is "personal knowledge." (Welcome to Argentina! )

My suggestion is to talk to some real estate agents in El Bolson. They should know.

Jim Peers

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the replies everyone. The Uco valley is kind of high end is it not or are their affordable properties as well? I am certainly not against having to do work around a place. Kind of nice to have something to do in semi-retirement. My Spanish is not good yet but plan on taking classes. Sure is nice already to find that the people living in Argentina seem so friendly and willing to help. Is this the case in most of the smaller towns as well?

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 137

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, any chance you can transfer all this Mendoza property stuff to an apporpiate thread name? thanks

Jim, Uco is more expensive than San Rafael as a whole, although the west side of San Rafael has gone up dramatically in asking prices.

Uco Valley tends to price, for raw land, from 4k usd to 12k a hectare spending on various factors and areas. In my opinion it is the best investment in "Upper Mendza", I predict it will increase in value 3 to 5 times in the next 5 to 10 years..whereas other parts of Upper Mendoza has gone up dramatically in the last 4 years.

Smaller towns have just as great people, but sveryone knows what everybody is doing, if you don't mind that. I think gossip is a national pastime LOL.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration