Babysitters in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Babysitters in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If anyone has had experience with this could you please share it? Referrals or agencies are welcome.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, I will be traveling to Argentina in July/August and with a one year old. A trustworthy babysitter would be valuable. I know the major hotel chains can provide babysitting service. Since they are liable they are very careful to screen the people involved. They also alert security so a special eye is kept on the room. Some hotels give you a cell phone for the evening if you don't have one in case of an emergency. You have to sign a release for treatment in case of medical necessity.

Outside of the major hotels you are on your own. I recall that people would once call nursing schools and hire a senior nursing student who needed the money and had the training. Not sure if that is an option in BA. Perhaps any University personnel department would be able to help. In the USA it is 10 USD an hour. 30 pesos an hour in Argentina would probably get you a nurse from a nursing agency. Again they would be pre-screened and insured. Hope that is helpful. Let me know how you make out.

W Piccione
Username: Mrspicci

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi. Our housekeeper, is very reliable and babysat for many of our friends while visiting here. In my experience, expect to pay around $10-$15 AR an hour. It is word of mouth that is the best referral service.

Ricardo
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
Just thought I would pass on some information relating to babysitters. We have been told by several different Argentine acquaintances that they never trust the care of their children with a babysitter...ever. Only the most trusted relative or friend would be asked to watch their children and that would only be for a short period. Other than that it is just not done. We pressed them for a reason why...to no avail. It has caused us to rethink leaving our child with anyone until we gain better insight. Any ideas, comments, insight would be appreciated.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe this to be true. As for reasons, I am more inclined to think it has to do with the idiosyncrasy itself than with some ulterior motive. Family is just a *big* word for us, argentines -if not everything-.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration