MercadoLibre / MercadoPago / Ebay Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » MercadoLibre / MercadoPago / Ebay « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zander
Username: Xanpatagon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I buy stuff on Mercadolibre quite often cause I live where the shopping isn't that great. (Mercadolibre is EBAY in Argentina).

Then I use MercadoPago (which is "kind of" like Paypal...not quite) to pay with my US Visa card. The concept is good as you don't release the payment to the seller until you get the goods and can inspect them.

However, SOMETIMES MercadoPago drops the ball and never authorizes the payment with my US bank. Then the auction just sits there, there is no payment, and no shipment.

Has anyone else had this problem with Mercadopago? I complained to them and they said the problem was not in MercadoPago. When I called my bank (in the US) they assured me they process all authorizations within a minute. So, the problem must be with MercadoPago.

Ideas?

Gracias

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 77

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Zander - this is great info thanks...what is it you have had good experience buying on Mercado Libre? For payment we have been using Dineromail successfully but it is not cheap on the rececing end - we basically budget 5% in transaction costs after everybody takes their little chunk,

Zander
Username: Xanpatagon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've bought the following on MercadoLibre

Directional WIFI antennas
Epson V100 scanner
RJ45 tool (to make ethernet cables)
cartridges for my HP 1010 laserjet
Pilates Ball
Web Cam
Hammock

If the seller offers the MercadoPago option I always take that as then I can pay with my visa and don't have to go find a bank to make a payment/transfer. (I'll post another thread on that.) Also, the payment is held by MercadoPago until I receive the product and have a chance to inspect it. In that way Mercadopago acts as a kind of escrow. When I'm happy with the product I go online to my Mercadopago account and release the payment.

I live in Villa la Angostura. We only have 3 banks in town. Usually the seller uses a different bank, and I have been told that interbank transfers are a problem here. Payments get lost or they take forever.

If you live in a larger city, or near one, you may find all your stuff there and not need Mercadolibre. However, I live near Bariloche and you would not believe how hard it is to find simple things there, like household thermometers (to tell the room temperature), or a tool to make ethernet cables. I went to 5 stores to find this common tool and finally gave up and bought it on MercadoLibre. I finally found a house thermometer after going to 4 different stores. Finally, it was in a tourist store that I found one. (don't people want to know what the temperature is in their home so they don't overheat it, or underheat it??)

So, rather than spending two hours looking for something, it might be better just to order it on Mercadolibre and wait a week to receive it via bus or correo.

(By the way....when I was looking for my ethernet tool in Bariloche, I parked my car on a side street. In the back seat I had some very nice, expensive high tech rain gear on the floor. It wasn't flashy, being a dark blue and black. Not that observable. Usually I'm careful with leaving stuff in the car. I rationalized that it was OK. When I got back to the car the side windows was smashed and the two jackets and pants were gone. One more reason not to waste time looking for stuff where the shopping is frustrating. This gear will cost about $600 USD to replace. Where there is so muc poverty one has to be careful. My car insurance covered the window, but not the contents. The insurer told me that it is not possible to insure for the contents.)

I don't have mail service to my home and that is actually good because then they don't leave a package on my porch. I go to the post office to get it. And, if it comes buy bus I have to go to the bus warehouse pick it up also.

MercadoPago, unlike Paypal, takes a chunk from the buyer, not the seller.

At first I was hesitant to buy through MercadoLibre, you know the trust level here. But all purchases went well, and a couple of the MercadoPago transactions got stuck in their system, as mentioned in the first of this thread.

One thing for sure....I've been slowly cured of the instant gratification that we get used to in the USA. Sometimes I wait for months for a trip to the USA before I'm able to get something I want or need.

In the end....most of the time I can live without it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration