Requirements to enter a pet in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Requirements to enter a pet in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Username: Cakebread

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have 2 cats that i want to bring to Mendoza with me next year. Does anyone know the upto date information to do this?

My "Bigger" problem is that I also want to bring my two giant tortoise's as well. But I can't find any information on anything other than cats and dogs. Can anyone help?

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 70

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi cakebread, it is a fairly straigtforward procedure that should be listed on the website of the Argentine consulate closest to you. They should also advise on the turtles. But follow the ruls of that consulate regardless, for the best effect. If you need any more help on this matter, send me a private message - regards,

(Message edited by admin on March 03, 2008)

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

cakebread, my husband and I traveled to Argentina with our two big dogs and two cats and I have researched and talked to many many people over the last two years so I've got a pretty good idea of the idiosyncrocies that go with the pets.

The rules of bringing your cats are very simple and is mainly rabies, but make sure nothing has changed. However, there are some things you need to be aware of that won't be talked about in the consulate websites. You can take your cats IN THE CABIN of Delta if you are willing to fly through Atlanta. We found it to be a huge relief having them close to us although it was a nightmare with our baggage because they count as one of your carryons but it was a sacrifice we were willing to make for them. You must be careful of what time of year you fly if their flying in the baggage compartment because of heat/cold restrictions. you also need to make sure your you have your pet checked within ten days of actual travel and then the paperwork has to be certified. I talk about all the processes in my blog because it's waaaaay too long to rehash again here. If you have questions don't hesitate to email me.

also, about your tortoises, most likely you won't be able to bring them as usually birds, fish, reptiles are considered exotics but I would check with a pet transport company because they would be the one to know the absolute rules on what is and isn't allowed.

oh and be aware that only LA talks about getting your paperwork apostilled, no other one does INCLUDING the main Argentine website and we never got our papers apostilled. Actually it's nearly impossible timewise anyway within your ten day grace.

I hope this helps some, good luck with everything, it's a long trip but it is great to have your babies nearby.

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

WTMendoza.com

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

good stuff on the airlines - which is an absolute situation to be on top of also..but regarding the Apostille, if that is indeed a requirement by your local consulate or embassy , I would get it, no matter what, because although they may only check 1/2 or less the time at entry in Argentina, who wants to be caught in that trap to pay fines, etc. Apostilles in any state in the USA can be had well within the last 10 days..you may have t pay extra for overnight fees, etc..if you don't have the time to go the secretary of state itself in your state. If you are England, I would go to the embassy or consulate and get it in writing from them, and jot down names, etc...all stuff that will come in very useful you get in a jam at entry in Argentina. Good luck

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey wtm, I know we've been down this road before about two years ago :-) but I have to disagree with you because the ONLY consulate that says it's required is the LA one, every other consulate says you don't and the official website doesn't either and I had it in writing that it wasn't required. If in though cakebread, call the consulate and double check.

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

WTMendoza.com

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Laura I hear ya but why take the risk unless you have potential time and money to spend to get you pet out of quarantine or "pet jail" in the Argentine airport? . If your local Argentine consulte or embassy instructs you, whether through their website or in documentation handed over to you personally or faxed to you, to follow certain rules, what's the point in ignoring he rules and betting on the odds (admittingly good odds at that) that you won't have an issue at entry in Argentina? Whether it's residential visa issues, pet issues, or related issues, you have nobody to fall back on except the consulate that directed you in the first place anyway, so why disregard them on certain rules?
Not only that, consulates and embassies can change their rules in a heartbeat, so why not just go off their rules anyway - after all it's good practice for people for what they will encounter in Argentina anyway :-) (smiley) cheers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration