Buying a Mattress Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Buying a Mattress « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Emily McDonald
Username: Emily_anne

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

I really like my apartment, but need a new mattress! The one that came with the place is all hard foam, and with my back pain I need something with springs and good support. Any suggestions for where to shop - especially for good deals? A friend suggested Mercado Libre, but I don't have much experience with that either.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

Emily

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Emily,

I would avoid Mercado Libre unless you are used to buying from Ebay in the USA and even then..here there is a clear hisotry of more scams goin on in Mercado Libre - buyer beware bigtime there..although I know there have been many sucessfull transactions also.

We bought a King Cobra matress and love it. Your best bet is to go into a matress store and spend as much time as you need to test each one by lying down on it, twisting and turning, etc.

We bought ours in Mendoza and I am sure they have many store in BA also - I just can{t find a web site right off - it seemed to be the next best quality to Simmons...good luck

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 48

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

King Koil (Cobra) mattresses are expensive but the quality is excellent. Mine is the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

There's a shop in BA on the corner of Callao and Cordoba that sells them.

If you want a cheaper mattress then there are several places on Santa Fe near Plaza Italia, or dotted along Av Belgrano. In this kind of place you get what you pay for.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks you Simon - lol - I meant King Koil

Here is their website:

http://www.colchoneskingkoil.com.ar/

Keith Mangan
Username: Kreation

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Emily

There are two bedding shops on the corner of arraoz and Corrientes.We picked up some great deals there; we had time to look around and found they had some of the best prices..
Araoz is one block from the intersection of Scalabrini Ortiz and Corrientes.Between the two shops they have every style and type of mattress possible.I cant remember the name of the shops but if you look for the Banco Santander/Rio signs you'll find them
Good luck and good Rest.

Keith

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Emily, one way you could find a mattress is through the expat groups. We bought a great little mattress from someone who was leaving and it was 150 pesos and was awesome. We also bought a brand new set from La Cardeuse... this is from my blog and should give you some more ideas. Also you could try a feria (Argentine garage sale) just check in the newspapers.
We received our new colchone y sommiers today from La Cardeuse. It came just in time since Charlie arrives tonight and we would have had to fight over who got to sleep on the one mattress that we had.

We've been looking at colchones and sommiers for the last three weeks while trying to decide which brand to buy. The problem was that with my back problems and the possibility that I could be embarazada later this year, I had to have good mattress and was willing to spend more money on that little cosita than on muebles.

The search took us to many stores and brands, some of which were familiar to me, and others that weren't. The variety of brands is pretty good and many companies maintain their own stores that sell their brand exclusively, others sell several brands under one roof.

One place we never got to, but which had a variety of brands and pretty decent prices was Dormicentro Sonemos. I planned on getting there but since it was downtown we just didn't get around to it.
So we ended up looking at the Simmons store in the Unicenter Mall, La Cardeuse in Martinez just near Unicenter, King Koil in Once, and finally ended up at a La Cardeuse store on Avenida Belgrano, where we finally purchased our new resortes style colchone and two sommiers.

I actually never knew about La Cardeuse since they're a French brand and I've never seen them in the States, but my husband knew them well. They have stores all over Buenos Aires so they're easy to find. And, most importantly, the people in both stores were exceedingly patient with my Spanish, and extremely friendly and helpful. I think it's one of the things that sold us, besides the quality, and of course the fact that the equivalent by Simmons was about 700 pesos more and only had one boxspring instead of two sommiers. The original price of the La Cardeuse set was 3010.70 pesos which with descuentos and a bit more negotiation ended up at 2192.00 pesos, a very nice deal for an excellent mattress.

The length of the mattresses tend to be a bit shorter here, although it is possible to get a longer one but the price will jump up as well. We ended up with something pretty close to a standard American queen, just a bit shorter, at 160cm x 190cm, but that size works well for us since we're not tall people.

We also went for two sommiers instead of one boxspring because it gets tricky to get a box spring up old narrow staircases. As a matter of fact, it's usually a hot seller here because they're also easier to get into apartment buildings. When the guys came for the entrega de domicilo today, they still had to pass the mattress up and over the balcony and then in the balcony door. Once they finished with setting everything up, I asked them if they minded doing the same with a full sized boxspring that had become like a piece of furniture in our downstairs hallway (because it wouldn't go up the staircase) for almost three weeks. They said yes, they did, and then they got a very nice tip. We were happy, they were happy, hey everybody was happy.

Incidentally, all of our negotiating for the bed was done in Spanish - yayyyyy, since it's improving rapidly here. I think that because I had some ability to express myself in Spanish, plus the fact as I've said before, cash is king and we said we would pay in efectivo. We actually paid for most of it in U.S. dollars at an exchange rate of 3.05, and then the balance we paid upon delivery. Delivery by the way was within four days and was sin cargo.

I'll let you all know how the bed works out and if you're interested in a bed, I could send u to our salesman, but he only speaks Spanish y el habla espanol muy rapidamente and even when we were there I often had to remind him to habla mas despacio por favor.

chau

Useful Vocabulary

*colchone y sommier - mattress and boxspring
*entrega de domicilio - delivery to your home
*efectivo - cash
*sin cargo - without charge

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration