Social gathering - La Tranquera Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Social gathering - La Tranquera « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Walker
Username: Adam_walker

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thought I would start a new thread for this in case people had stopped reading the last.

It was suggested everyone arrange a gathering for people who read this forum, and from what other members say, the best dates to include Michael and GayleŽs trips would be on either 6th/7th, 13th/14th, 20th/21st of Oct... I guess seeing as youŽll only be in town for a couple of days, the 6th/7th maybe too early, but equally it maybe nice for you to go sooner in your visit so you can get advice on what to do here (should you need it).

La Tranquera (a traditional Asado) was suggested by Roberto, where silly amounts of meat can be consumed and he tends to be right, so weŽll go for this.

If youŽd like to go (completely open invite for anyone who wants to meet other people in Buenos Aires) either say so on this thread or email me separately on adams_email2006@yahoo.com with dates you can make, IŽll get it booked.

IŽll probably bring my better half, a porteńa... it sounds like Mike + partner, Gayle + partner, hopefully Tom still seeing as it was his idea... who else to join in the festivities!

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam,
I'm still surviving here, so I will make it out for the festival! Anyday is fine with me, I'm not doing much in the way of Oct., so just keep me informed on what date you have choosen! O' I will be plus one

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam,

Anyone of these days is fine with us. Since we arrive on the 5th perhaps the 7th would be better for us or anyone of the other Saturday/Sunday dates. What time were you planning on this "parrilla"?

I checked out the web site and this restaurant must have a good tourist business in that they have a "tourist menu". The place is a good size and the prices are reasonable. If you any other suggestions, please let us know seeing that you have been in the area for a few months.

I have been checking the Buenos Aires Herald in the Day to Day section where they have events/meetings listed for English-speaking residents/visitors.

Looks like there will be at least six of us....looking forward to it. :-)

Gayle

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Larry,

I see you are from Texas. We thought of moving to San Antonio a few years ago but my husband could not find any consulting work.

Looks like you have been in B.A. for a while and I am eager to find out how you have "settled in".

larry Rogers

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello to you Gayle....
I look forward to it; to see the least it's been difficult!

Talk to yall soon

Adam Walker

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thats great - so Larry+1, Gayle+1, I think Mike+1, Me+1 (although I eat like 2!)... so potentially 8. Where is Tom, the originator of this ideal! If anyone has a preferential place, just let me know, otherwise IŽll just jump in and book this place in a couple of weeks...

Larry - I headed to Gibraltor for the rugby, absolutely dead except for "Beaver" the bar man - at least ENG won!

Gayle, I was looking for work here recently, and all I could see on the job pages were openings for engineers (and unfortunately I am not an engineer!)... I reckon your other half wouldnŽt struggle finding something here - Adecco are the biggest recruitment agency global and have lots of BA offices, maybe he should send them an email?

And you sure you canŽt be tempted down Roberto?...

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to see this is moving along :-) Had to work hard this morning because of the polo person. I wonder if he realizes how much more business he may get if he could only be friendlier...

Anyway, not a chance. I have to solve some immigration stuff related to my step-daughter. As for TOM, I just checked his panel. He is still a member here and he should be receiving all these comments. Either he is away from his computer or his spam filter is now too high and stopped receiving alerts. Or he just gave up but I am hoping not.

I may ask my mother to come by once a day is set... She is the owner here. I am just a servant.

larry Rogers

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam,
Sorry to hear about it being dead, that was probably because Argentina wasn't playing! Anyway, maybe we can catch a beer in the next couple of days, shot me and email and we can get together! I have some other places to go and don't include a single tourist! Which, I'm not saying is bad, it's just that the prices alot cheaper and the people have a little (employees) more character....

Let me know, I would be interested in catching some more games!

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 433

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For those of you who saw the movie Poltergiest, the little girl looks at the tv and says "they're back"

For those who missed me. Thanks.

but beware.

He's back. :-)

Gayle

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Adam and Larry,

We are arriving in BA in approximately 2 1/2 weeks and are we going to set up a meeting for a weekend asado at La Tranquera? We plan to eat there whether or not we have a group get together, but it would be nice if we could all get to meet each other.

As I mentioned the only weekend date that is not good is Saturday October 6. What time would this be at since I know most Argentines tend to eat quite late in the evening?

I will have a laptop in BA so I will have access to this forum. Hope to hear from you.

larry Rogers

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gayle...
Not sure what date has been choosen for this event...I believe that Adam will be doing the reserving, but I would be interested in knowing also. In addition, when yall do get in and what to go for a drink or eat out anyhwere else I would be more than willing to show yall around!

@ Adam, did you figure a date that is most convenient for everyone involved for best turnout? Let us know!

Also, there is a place called World Sports Cafe, it's at 1745 Junin...in Recoleta! It's a pretty nice place and you can catch just about any game in the world, in addition, you can watch them on huge flat screens.

Gayle

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry,

Thank you for the kind offer to show us around. We would definitely like to get together either for a drink or to eat out anywhere else. My husband tells me the beef is the best in the world. He lived there for three years as a child and has gone back to visit several times but not since 1991! His parents were born in Argentina. I am lucky in that I don't speak Spanish (I can count to 10!).
:-)

Gayle

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry,

Forgot to ask...where is your home base in Argentina?

larry Rogers

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My home base is in Buenos Aires, I live on the corner of Pasco and Independencia....it's a pretty nice 6 bedroom home! You can check out some pics on a blog that I created.

tangoyamistad.blogspot.com

Great, I look foward to meeting yall and hope your arrival goes smooth!

Adam Walker

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey-ho all! We are certainly on for this, I just hope the rain stops - it's still going now, and it's been 5 days straight!

So, we are looking at Oct Sun 7th or Oct Sat 13th... I cant work out if Tom is literally "Back" (in BA) or just "back" (on the forum). Either way I will be booking Oct Sun 7th for 6-10 people (me, Larry, Gayle + partners... maybe Mike?? maybe Tom??? depends on if he is back - fingers crossed).

Everyone else welcome!

PS Larry - Moly Malones, definately the place for Rugby, last couple of games were awesome and very drunken!

larry Rogers

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam,
Thanks for the update and the work your putting in to get everyone together!

Do you have an address for that place " Moly Malones", o' wait....is that on Defensa; next to plaza de mayo?

Gayle

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry,

I went to your blog and the house looks lovely, You did a very nice job on the web page. When I read the "Larry" Profile is that you or Hugo since his name is throughout the blog? Did you have the terrible experience with the BOA ATM card? Scary!!!!!!

Sounds as though you have been in B.A. a year now...how long are you staying?

Gayle

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam,

Sunday, October 7th sounds great! Am looking forward to meeting people early in our arrival. I have marked this date but you didn't mention a time. Obviously in the PM. I know Argentines eat late.

Thanks for making the plans and reservations. You are quite organized.

:-)

Adam Walker

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was thinking a Sunday lunch Parrilla to be honest, around 1pm, but I am happy to do evening too, if thats what people prefer...

Roberto - would you advise a lunch there or a dinner?

Gayle

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A lunch parrilla is fine with us, but we are happy to do evening also. We are very flexible.

I wonder what Roberto would suggest? Do you have to let the restaurant know which menu we want beforehand?

larry Rogers

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Adam and the rest,
Just a side note....most Sundays include a nice asado during the day; around 2:30 or 3:00. It gives time to the families that need to work etc.. on Monday, to enjoy a little sun and funny!

I think that the afternoon is perfect and is a tradition time for an Asado! Just my opinion...

Gayle

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, Adam, etc.

2:30 - 3:00 sounds perfect!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry got it right... plus at night you will feel very heavy... This is a *lot* of meat you will be eating. During the day you can also enjoy the parks nearby which are beautiful.

Gayle

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

Thanks for your response. We are looking forward to our afternoon asado either 2:30 or 3:00. We definitely would appreciate seeing the beautiful parks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration