Food costs Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Food costs « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dining out seems very reasonable if you have dollars. I was curious as to the cost of food in the markets as we will be staying for one month and might want to have some meals at our apartment.

Thank you.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So you'd like to know prices of groceries?

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

Exactly. I've been told most people do not have dishwashers because they either eat out, get take out, or have maids.

Is this typical?

Thanks.
Gayle

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Food is very inexpensive by US standards and the farther away from Buenos Aires you get the cheaper it gets. In Cordoba province and in Cordoba and the surrounding area food is especially cheaper because Cordoba is a huge agricultural center. Argetnina is large a food producing economy and it does it well. So food reflects that. A few things to note. The produce is delcious and fresh but it does not have the perfect appearance of fruits and vegetables in the US. Of course US fruit is the result of hybridization, chemical fertilizers and pesticides, and other techniques to create beautiful looking but often tasteless produce.

Argentines like to buy their food fresh. You will find much smaller fridges in Argentine homes. They dont buy the huge 1-2 week supplies of food like us. Frozen food is limited. And boxed and ready to eat "fake foods" are non-existent. In a small town where my wife is from it was common to stop at the butcher shop, the green grocer, the bakery and the wine shop on the way home. Everything was fresh and delicious.

People do eat out a lot in Argentina and take out is popular. But most meals are surely eaten at home. The economy has improved greatly over the past 2 years and many more people are eating out but by and large people still eat at home. Cooking at home is a nice idea if you want to save money during your visit and it is always nice to just stay at home and crash and eat lighter than you would when you go out.

Dishwashers? I have not see a single one in Argentina in my experience nor do I recall seeing one for sale though they must have them. Roll up your sleeves.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Following Bill's dishwashing remarks... this, as well as cooking at home, could be tied to one of the facts you were told: households employing what is called "servicio domestico" and in most cases if not all, the ladies also do the cooking/washing.

WelcomeToMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some additional notes on this:
Because of the lack of purchasing power here in Argentina (still aroubnd 40% or so are under the "poverty line" and many more are struggling anyway) ,often you will see what I beleive to be inferior quality processed and packaged foods in the markets. This is not to say the "good" stuff doesn't, but my point is that often times you have to really hunt for good quality super market foods, if you are a ingredient label reader.

Regarding the whole ritual of going to the butcher, vegatable stand, bread shop, etc - that is a lot of fun in my opinion - especiall on a Saturday or Sunday morning as you gear up for a bbq.

The big supermarkets do indeed now have a section of frozen tv dinner style foods - not even close to the range you will see in the USA, thank gosh, but it is there...and kinda pricey by Argentine standards.

The dishwashers I have seen for sale in RedMegatone, etc..are mostly smaller and quite expensive, very reflective indeed of this culture that rolls up the sleeves.

I do wonder though why garbage disposals are not more common.

I really miss good quality steaks that come from the BA province and nearby provinces. It's much like eting California beef compared to Iowa beef - just no match. Here in Mendoza, if you are picky about your beef, you try to always keep yur finger on the pulse of the meat imported from the east side of the country.

Here in Mendoza, good quality filets cost you currently about 7.80 pesos a pound, if that will you give you an idea of meat.
Add to that a great bottle of wine for 15 pesos or less, and a killer tiramsu for for 2+ people at 12 pesos, and you have got quite a dinner to have at home on the grill.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gayle, you should definitely go to the markets and make food in your apartment. You can go to the smaller mom and pop markets or big stores like Jumbo in Palermo. Choose from fresh pasta shops, cheese shops, meat shops etc. I would highly recommend wandering through Jumbo if you get a chance if not just to see their huge meat aisles (that is if you guys are meat eaters!) plus the wine depts are pretty good sized.

Have fun but stay away from expensive imports!

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration