Banking my US checks Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Banking my US checks « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

al leong
Username: Wayfarer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys,

I'm a foreigner non american , like to know if I'm going to stay in argentina say for a few months, how can I bank in my US checks for cash without any hassles?
The company I deal with do not do a direct bank deposit to my banks in my home country. Any suggestions will be appreciated..

WelcomeToMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Al,

There are always a few exchange houses in the bigger cities in Argentina that should work with you on this. Introduce yourself to the manager/owner and express that you would like to cash your US checks there. Don't be surpised that if for the first few checks they won't give you the payout until after it has cleared your US bank, so 5 to 15 days, etc. Also, they will most likley charge you 2%. After some time of a growing relationship you should have no problem cashing your checks.
Also don't be surpised if they restrict the amounts of the checks to certain amounts, like under $1000 USD, etc., and the number of checks per month. good luck. This is a great backup to using your ATM card.

al leong

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I'm not sure how the exchange house works in Argentina,do you mean I give them the check under my name, and they give me cash?
How are they going to get my money if it's under my name and secondly if I cash in 2k usd, am I just going to get 1k back?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They operate like banks. If the check is in your name and you sign it in the back, you can cash it at a discount. You get 98% of its value, perhaps more. But you must develop a good working relationship for this. Trust is important, like WTM said.

The main problem you may have is having the checks arrive and be delivered safely. Best to fedex them.

al leong

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi robert.

Thanks for your reply,I'm doing some freelancing and like to know
is there a maximum amount I can cash in my US checks?
How can I restrict the amount of money the company from USA send me?Does not really make sense...

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Al, I don't know the specifics. Perhaps WTM can clarify. I think you should approach a rep at any of these places but in my view, there are no limits. It is all about trust. Nobody will cash you a large check if they have never heard about the bank or the company issuing it before, or if they just met you.

It does make sense what she said, that for the first few times the exchange house will wait for clearance. Both sides take risks here.

WelcomeToMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Al, I don't quite understand your situation to answer right, but as far as you cashing your own USA bank checks , ones that belong to your account, here in Argentina , Roberto is totaly corrrect - it's all about trust on both ends, but you should not have an issue with big exchange houses in main cities here.

al leong

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks guys for all the info appreciate it

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration