Ethnic Make Up Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Ethnic Make Up « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom
Username: Tsdon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hear Argentina, especially, BA is VERY european in ethnic makeup. Many italians, germans, spanish and a little french. How many black people and other colored types are there as a % of population?

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have read that Argentina is 50% Italian, 30 percent Spanish, 10 percent Indigenous and the rest is mixed, German, English, Welsh....that I think is pretty close. I will try and find the book and confrim.

farmersbase
Username: Farmersbase

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Argentina is very MAXIMA-dutch-netherlands

Tom
Username: Tsdon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

50% italian - wow that's amazing. I must some history as I curious as how the italian language didn't become predominant. thanks

Bill Howard

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Next to Spanish, Italian is probably spoken the most in Argentina. Go to a newstand and you will see several newspapers and magazines in Italian. Of course the main wave of Italians came from the late 1800s to before WWII and they were assimilated into Spanish speaking Argentine society. I am reading a book that compares and contrasts the immigration of Italians from Italy to America and Argentina. Just started it. Should be interesting.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are several reasons why the make up has become *europeanized*. The immigration waves are obvious but what is rarely mentioned is that the "campanas del desierto" that took place during 1879/1880 with Julio Argentino Roca in charge, had the purpose (in written statements) of decimating natives. Some official figures have the death count at 14,000 natives of the 15,000 that were supposed to be living in the southern borders of what was then Argentina. If I remember correctly part of the black population living at the time also became victims of the war (as soldiers, possibly). A direct consequence of the campaigns to the desert was changing forever the racial landscape at the time. Another goal was the appropriation of millions of hectares (really vast amounts of land) some of which were set aside for the creation of colonies of immigrants with an agricultural agenda in mind.

Bill Howard

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I read that as well Roberto. Between the war (Chaco war I believe) and a Typhus epidemic that ravished the black community in Buenos Aires around the same time virtually the entire black population was wiped out. In addition, unlike in Brazil where there was a plantation system in effect and the crops required lots of cheap labor, the agriculture in Argentina was centered on grain and beef. They did not require a lot of people and the people needed had to be somewhat skilled. So while Brazil was historically importing black labor by the tens of thousands Argentina was enticing white European farmers, vinters, horsemen, etc. It is an interesting history.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Bill... very interesting history.

And while Brazil had similar labor needs as the U.S. pre 1865 -as you stated- Argentina had its own form of cheap labor: gauchos. This is also rarely mentioned but most of the tasks you outlined were performed by these *outcasts*. The word "gaucho" became so derogatory that is was banned from speeches at the Congress. I believe in the opening ceremonies by Presidents. Can you believe that?

I should really support these statements with facts but I am having a hard time finding the links. However, I clearly remember a history-source book where I read a senator giving speech in Congress having to apologize for having included the word Gaucho. How things change...

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

farmersbase, what do you mean "Argentina is very MAXIMA-dutch-netherlands"

97% of all Argentines are of European decent, mostly Italian, Spanish, Russian, Greek, French, German, English, Polish etc.

"white (mostly Spanish and Italian) 97%, mestizo (mixed white and Amerindian ancestry), Amerindian, or other non-white groups 3%"
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world -factbook/geos/ar.html#People

Being a vast plain the defenses of the region called for calvary to battle the natives which were pretty much run off or otherwise eliminated/assimulated. No Indian reservations in the land of the Gaucho. Beef cattle and horses took precedence in grazing the rich grasses. Being less labor intensive than cotton, sugar cane, and other exportable crops there were enough gachos to provide the man power for the estancias owned mainly by land grand Spanish nobility. Immigrants from other nations who weren't as fortunate tended to live in the metropolitan areas.

For those with time to read take a look at Martin Fierro for a look at life on the frontier on the Pampas.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 429

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

correction

land grant, not "land grand"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration