To buy a car! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » To buy a car! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Swede
Username: Swede

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, now when i live here in Buenos aires for at least a year, i really need a car, but so far what iīve heard its necessary to have your DNI, which i dont have. Is there some other alternative except for renting a car? Or some recomendations of cheap longterm renting firms?

thank you!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wait, do they ask for a DNI when buying a car? And for driver's license can't you use your foreign one? I can't see the DNI being an obstacle. Please detail.

lara martin
Username: Noelle1024

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you dont need your dni when you purchase the car but when they register the car thats when you need your dni. we registered our car under my father-in-law's name and used his dni.

do you know anyone you trust that can register teh car for you?

Swede

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes Roberto, its needed to have your dni when you register the car, but u can drive with your foreign license, but just for a year.

@Lara yes, thats an alternative, maybe i got a friend that can accept that, thanks!

Swede

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi guys, couldnīt solve that way, i mean that a Argentine friend can own it. So i got the recomendation to go to Uruguay to buy the, you can buy just passport. Do you think there will be any problems bringing the car into Argentina?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't know, but a general piece of advise... you will be dealing with customs on your return and that more often than not means headaches. Research this thoroughly. I am adding, there are a lot of restrictions when it comes to import/exports. You will very likely be charged some kind of import duties/tariffs which may bring the cost of the car up substantially. All countries in south america have signed all kind of different foreign exchange treaties and most merchandise is subject to some kind of regulation.

For your guidance, the savvy traders who do things like this usually know the customs code inside out and bring in items under specific categories to avoid ridiculous costs or other problems. Best advise, find a "despachante de aduana" that may clear this up for you.

(Message edited by admin on August 08, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration