Sin visa? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Sin visa? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

valeria
Username: Valley07

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ablando con mi novio que esta en Argentina, me conto que varias personas le han dicho que supuestamente los estados unidos y argentina han hecho un trato en qual los argentina van a poder entrar y salir a los estado unidos sin visas y que esta ley va a salir al fin del ano..alguien a escuchado algo mas concreto?

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 412

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

que?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, she is saying that there are some rumours about argentines not needing a visa to enter the US starting next year. Apparently, some bilateral treaty. I doubt about this given the current state of affairs regarding immigration.

Valeria, creo que por ahora siguen siendo rumores. Considerando los problemas actuales en USA respecto de terrorismo e inmigracion seria ilogico que otorguen este privilegio.

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 414

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

haven't heard anything about that

I see the pesos' stability might cause that and the 3 to 1 edge might encourage some immigration by the well educated Argentine population.

The US and Argentina have over the years been more or less on the same side with each other on a lot of things. I found it quite interesting that the only battleship ever built in the US specifically for a foreign government was for Argentina. In fact there were two Rivadavia cass battleships built for Argentina by the US, the ARA Rivadavia and the ARA Moreno, the only two dreadnaught-type battleships in the history of the ARA.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about ARA General Belgrano? Or was that an older Pearl Harbor ship later sold to the navy -sank during the Malvinas war-?

Regarding Valeria's inquiry, I think we should all pay close attention to the coming elections. Very important in my view, as they may crystallize a change of attitude towards the US distancing politics from Chavez et al. But getting a 'no visa required' priviledge seems like a stretch.

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 417

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good question, Roberto
The two battleships were ordered by Argentina and built to her specifications.

The Belgrano was a light cruiser, not one to take on a battleship but still a powerful ship, it was sold to Argentina after it survived Pearl Harbor, as you mention, and then served in World War II as the US Navy's USS Phoenix,
She was the sixth of the Brooklyn-class light cruisers, built in New Jersey by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation starting in 1935, and launched in March 1938. She was decommissioned from the US Navy in July 1946. USS Phoenix was sold, with another of her class (USS Boise renamed ARA Nueve de Julio), to Argentina in October 1951, for $7.8 million. She was renamed 17 de Octubre after an important date for the political party of the then president Juan Peron overthrown in 1955, and in 1956 the vessel was renamed General Belgrano (C-4) after General Manuel Belgrano.

This reinforces my earlier obersation concerning the cooperation of the US and Argentina over the years with two governments of Argentina, the Peronist and whoever was in power at the time the two battleships were built early in the century, purchasers of US made warships. The following photo is of the ship as it was in WWII in action during the war, not Pearl Harbor.

ARA GENERAL BELGRANO

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Too bad she couldn't survive the attack from the nuclear submarine...

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 418

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

true, In my humble opinion the Brits did a dasterdly deed. The ship was outside their own exclusion zone. They had the ship in sight and could have used their own air to ship missles to sink her if she entered the zone.
It was retaliation for the Argentine sinking of the British warships that were part of the attacking armada.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration