Jewelry selling in the street - obser... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Jewelry selling in the street - observation « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

juju
Username: Juju

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I absolutly love Argentina.... it is so beautiful and diverse, but why are there so many young jewelry sellers on the street/ I saw them in Bariloche and all over BA? Don't they go to college? I guess it is a way to pay for college or something to make some money while waiting for another job. Some of the sellers make beautiful jewelry.

I travelled to many countries but Argentina has the most jewelery sellers. I am just curious.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Street vendors pay no taxes and can get away with doing business unlicensed, therefore, the cost of operating is radically low. Many small time merchandisers will try to make a quick buck this way, which may or may not be illegal. I seriously doubt they do this to pay for their college. More likely, to put some food on the table or acquire some beer money... It is also a more bohemian way of doing business, just like artists and performers can be seen at street lights. And this may be part of the appeal.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 98

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The more I read this forum the more I realize how little I understand about business in Argentina. On my first trip to South America I was so impressed by the many street vendors in Chile and Argentina who seemed to operate freely, unimpeded by bureaucracy. Citizens of some countries are so burdened with restrictions and regulations that business startups are difficult or impossible for anyone not already flush with money. So I was impressed by the apparent freedom of the small entrepreneurs.

I had the delightful experience of talking with the father of my son's Chilena girlfriend, who has been a street vendor most of his life. I took advantage of the chance to ask him about the tax situation. He said that he is sometimes approached by the tax man. He said, sometimes I tell him I don't have a permanent address, sometimes I give him the wrong name . . . and sometimes I RUN! :D

Arial

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration