Young student in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Young student in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nordin Chena
Username: Nordino

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola!

I am a 18 year old boy from Norway who will study in Buenos Aires from August to June. I will study both the Norwegian language (through the internet) and Spanish at UBA (2x2 hours a week).

I fell in love with Argentina during last year's World Cup and since then I have read and learned very much about the country. It is no doubt that this is a country I will like.

However, I am young and I have never been on my own for more than two weeks. I am starting to get a little nervous as I will leave my family and all my frieds and don't know anyone in Argentina.

The Spanish course is only for students abroad, and I won't have the posibillity to get known with natives through my study.
I have never had any difficulties with getting known with other people, but please understand my concerns as I don't want to be sitting at home in front of my computer or TV all day long in that beautiful city either.

My two big passions are football and partying. As far as I understand, Buenos Aires will be an ultimate destination regarding this.

Any tips you have for a unexperienced traveller like me?

I also have some general questions:
- I am looking for flights from Europe to Argentina early August, but the cheapest I find costs about 800 USD one way. I have tried several travel searchers, but it seems impossible to find any reasonable prices.

- I want to fix my front teeths in Buenos Aires as its very expensive here in Norway. Will need a orthodontics (?). Any idea what that will cost compared to the US or Western Europe?

Thanks in advance for all advices!

Regards
Nordino

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nordino, welcome!

> My two big passions are football and partying...
Yep. You can have both. One is *soft* (partying) compared to places like say, Miami. The other one is *heavy* (soccer) and you may want to do some research before going to stadiums. Some games may not even be worth the risk. You will find out as you make new local friends.

Unless you have mileage or find a local agent who may offer a deal, most tickets are now expensive. Once there, contact my friend Leonardo Pelcman who will take care of you. You can call first to check on his prices

http://www.dentalesimplantes.com.ar/dentistry.htm

You will be fine :-)

Nordin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto, thanks for your reply.

I know about the football related problems in Argentina and I have already been warned by a few who have attended some matches down there. I will try to avoid dangerous matches like the Avellaneda derby etc.

My favorite team is Boca Juniors, and I would love to stand along with La 12 in every home game. I have seen documentaries about Rafa Di Zeo and the violence, but it doesn't seem like its so dangerous to stand among the passionate fans, at least not at La Bombonera? On YouTube films I've seen kids, young ladies, a father carrying his child and even tourist stand with La 12 without seeming to have any worries at all.

What is your comment about this?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soccer games are still a family/friends gettogether but it's a lottery. But I am really no expert.

Luciana Serrano
Username: Luserrano

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, my name is Luciana, I'm 18 years old. I live in Buenos Aires, and I'm an Argentinian as well. I'm currently studying at UBA for a degree in Philosophy, and also study French.
I used to live in USA, so I speak a fluent English. Football related, you should be cautionate, true, but tons of tourists go to the matches, nothing should happen to you. I went severall times, most of them to la Bombonera. And party related, you have a lot of options. You can go out dancing (here the bars and parties go on till six or seven am), or theatre (lots of options: www.alternativateatral.com.ar), cinema, live music and concerts, expositions (art, photo, ballet, etc), pubs...Well, you can't get bored in Buenos Aires and it would be a crime to stay in home watching tv.

Hope you have a great time!
Lu.

Nordin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to both of you.

I am really looking forward to this trip. The only thing that worries me is that I only find expensive flights. Air Europa from Madrid looks nice, but unfortunately their prices are high in August.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration