Studying at la UBA Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Studying at la UBA « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexandra Harbert
Username: Allieneco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In 2005 I studied for a year as a Rotary Exchange Student in Necochea. I feel in love with my family, friends the country and mostly Buenos Aires.
After spending time considering my options I am almost sure that I want to study at The University in Buenos Aires ( la UBA) starting my CBC in March of 2009.
But as I am a foreigner I would like to know another Argentine ( outside of my host familiy's) opinion.
How easy would it be to transfer to an American university and continue with my masters after completing my 5 years?
I plan on studying Ciencias Politicas, focusing my last year on Relaciones Internacionales.
What are some of the tramites necessary for studying there?
What is some common knowledge about la UBA that I am probably out of the loop about?

Any advice or tips in my preperation?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alexandra, welcome!

How easy will it be to continue studying in the US after getting a degree from an argentine university it is probably a case by case situation. Add some personal luck too. When I moved from Argentina to the US I brought with me transcripts (certified and with apostille) of my *mba* -all credits from all years as a student- and wasn't too difficult to enroll in undergraduate school but they would not let me get on graduate. As I said, this should be discussed specifically with the appropriate department of the corresponding school you will be applying 5 years from now when you come back. They may give credits for all courses or just some, as they did with me. Generally speaking, I believe the US system is open and accepting of whatever you will be doing abroad but they will not exactly match credits to credits.

UBA will be much more politized than your experience in Necochea and this may be a positive or a negative. We just don't know.

Alexandra Harbert

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks!

First off, are you suggesting I contact the school that i plan to attend? Because I have no idea yet..
Do you think there are any ways of solidifying the possibilities of credit trasnfer ahead of time?
What do you mean by politized?

Thanks again

luciano pereira
Username: Luciano

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Roberto, more politized! in Political Ciences! seriously what to expect that Med School teach you creacionism too? (just a joke)

Talking seriously, is really a big difference studing Political Studies - i don't want to enter in an epistemologial discussion here - in UBA and other Universities, here you have the lion in the jungle not in a zoo, the social problems are so visible and new social players emerge in such way that you just need to do field studies because most analisys categories are 'imported' and don't apply for this situations. You have to think the ideas of different authors more than study authors. Obviously every course is different

Credits are another story but at least in Law i have students from this institutions:

* Stanford
* Columbia
* Indiana
* Yale
* Michigan State
* Texas A&M
* Cornell
* Rice

I think that you can handle it ask about it and the 'workarounds' change major and do somo more credits, etc

UBA is one of the biggest University in the world just in Law School we have 30.000 active students

Alexandra Harbert

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But I would be starting the University after high school, not after transfering from another university. Does that affect things greatly? Is there a forum you know about or a website I could look into?

luciano pereira

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.uba.ar/internacionales/index.php

Dirección de Cooperación Internacional
Viamonte 430 2º piso Of.28
(C1053ABJ) Ciudad de Buenos Aires - Argentina
(54-11) 4510-1259/1261
(54-11) 4510-1100 Int.: 1258/1260
(54-11) 4511-8155
www.uba.ar/internacionales/
relinter@rec.uba.ar

http://weblog.educ.ar/protagonistas/archives/00778 3.php

For USA: http://www.icana.org.ar/

For Spain: http://www.uba.ar/internacionales/al_extranjero/hc teee.php

For UK: http://www.britishcouncil.org

Certificate from Cancillería Argentina (around u$s10)
Arenales 819 - subsuelo 1º (1007) Buenos Aires
Tel 54 11 4819 7000
Fax 54 11 4819 7502

Regards

Alexandra Harbert

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Muchas Gracias se�or, se lo agradezco!

Saludos

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Alexandra, I teach Comparate Communications Laws at Ciencias de la Comunicaci�n, UBA, in the same college you�ll study.
I agree with Luciano about UBA as a politized university, and I think itcan be a very good experience, despite some things such as chaos in the registry process, among others.
In UBA, you have to be very carefully choosing the best options, trying to avoid difficult subjects in the begining. The CBC is a good option to met other students, who can help you in key moments (registries, subjects, etc).
Saludos,

Dar�o

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

@ Luciano,

> more politized!

I meant *student revolt* which I have experienced first-hand at CNBA (university dependant). Don't want to start any controversy but reading between lines may clue in people. Perhaps not as bad as my times (montoneros) when students could stop a class whenever it was desired :-( but for sure not the plain vanilla experience from Necochea. Or am I stuck in the past?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I found the right word: politicized

luciano pereira

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now i understand your point and certanly it is not plain vanilla it's a big experience in your life.

Things changed for sure and for good! we live nowadays in a democracy - sometimes far from perfect - but you have a very different respect to human been and civil rights (protest is one of those)

About 'your times' there are different points of view so instead of give an straight answer about your comments and having a young 'future student' let me instead give her some book titles

Title: La Voluntad
Autor: CAPARROS, MARTIN | ANGUITA, EDUARDO
ISBN:987-580-067-8

MONTONEROS, MITO DE SUS 12 FUNDADORES
Autor: LANUSSE, LUCAS
ISBN:950-15-2359-4

PD: Roberto i thank you about the 'politicized' remark. This forum is a great way to learn how to write a bit better in english! Sometimes my spelling or grammar sucks so don't be afraid to tell me about it.

robert lipmar
Username: Miami_bob

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. Pereira--
Your english is great!!!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haha... it was me who misspelled it. Yes, I also learn english (and other stuff) every day, here. And happy to have this link always on top of my bookmarks.

Thank you for the book recommendations.

Alexandra Harbert

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you everyone for your comments.
I am not afraid of living in Buenos Aires, nor am I afraid of the contrast to the "plain vanilla" life I led in necochea. I will be starting the same carerra with my host sister and close friend and we plan to shar an apartment together.
What I am most interested/worried about is the difficulty of applying my degree-to-be in the USA academic world.
When i finish my carerra in 5 or so years will I be able to go on and get my masters degree at say American University in Paris?
Bueno y les queria decir si algo les sale mejor en Espanol, a lo mejor lo podria entender.
Gracias por todo lo que han hecho hasta ahi,valoro mucho sus consejos.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife is a graduate of a college in Bahia Blanca. She received her bachelor's degree in teaching English as a foreign language. She was teaching in public and private schools for a year or two before we met. One thing led to another and we decided she would move to the USA. The easiest way was for her to get a student visa. She applied to a local university near me in the USA. They required that her Argentine academic record be evaluated by a company in the USA that specializes in that. It cost several hundred dollars. At the end of the evaluation you receive an English language transcript of your course work that is acceptable to US schools. They evaluate your courses and translate your numeric grade to a letter grade...GPA equivalent.

My wife completed her master's program in the US and became a certified teacher of English as a Second Language. We are now married and she teaches in a US public school.

In general, Argentine degrees appear to be rated highly. The amount of work required of Argentine students seems to be higher than equivalent US courses and the companies that do the evaluations recognize that. My wife did very well academically both in Argentina and in the USA earning a 4.0/A average for both degrees.

Good luck.

luciano pereira

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

GO TO ICANA -> There are informative meetings (march/december)

-> -> -> Please check my previous post and go here <- <- <-
-->-->-->-->-> http://icana.org.ar/posgrado.htm <-<--<--<--<--

================================================== ==============
It's all explained there. With all respect please don't be so lazy young lady and read previous posts and browse links Before asking again
================================================== ==============

I abandon this thread maybe someone with more patience can help you.

Alexandra Harbert

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry if I appear 'lazy' to you but I was posing my questions to the people that had recently entered this thread, not to your previous posts.
I read what you had posted about ICANA but was interested in further information as you merely provided links, many of which I was not even able to open.

Thank you Bill for that information.
Is there any way you would know the name of the buisness, or what these types of companies are called?
Thank you!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration