Internet and Telephone in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Internet and Telephone in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Riyada
Intermediate Member
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys .. I am back!!
I just couldnt resist, this is a fabulous forum!
Ok so here is my problem:
I would like to denounce an Internet Service Provider which is located in BA, and I am here in Mendoza. Consumer defense told me that they have to have a legal address in Mendoza to contact them.
So I am stuck. Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

Also is there only this HUGE USELESS telefonica in Argentina? I have heard of telecom. I have been trying to contact them, but they dont answer. Is it that easy to switch? Or is Telecom only for long distance service? I cant believe that so far there is no competition to Telefonica!
Cheers all
Riyad

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good to hear, Riyad...

In Argentina -in general- there is no competition anywhere.

In my time, Telefonica and Telecom splitted the country and the states (and neighborhoods) and shared the market so depending on where you lived you had to go with that one choice. But this was wayyyy back. Does anyone know if things have changed? As for your problem with the ISP and your desire for justice... don't hold your breath. A good course of action -if you can afford it- will be to publish a 'solicitada' in one of the big newspapers.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyad

I don't know if you have Cable TV services where you are in Mendoza, but these days the cable firms provide internet access. They may provide you with an alternative to the telecom companies.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto!
I also saw TELMEX vans running around, but I think they too only provide long distance. My hunch is that some politician/s are cashing in on this Telefonica monopoly.
Please expand on publishing a "Solicitada" means?
Just incase you're wondering what justice I am after, here is the story:
I have paid till end of this month, and I, as of 2 weeks ago, want to cancel service. But they tell me I have to wait till the end of the billing cycle which is end of March. Problem is that I cant have another ISP(Internet Service Provider) untill that service is released, or "Dado de Baja". So I am stuck with NO internet for another month, since the other ISP will take another 10-15 days from the end of March to have the new service running. It just doesnt enter my head WHY cannot they cancel the service whenever I WANT. P.S. On top of that, I expressly mentioned that they keep the money!!
Unreal!
This is an example of the many things in Arg that work the other way round.
Riyad

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Simon. Yes we do have Cable TV, problem is I already have a satellite dish on my roof.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A solicitada, in its simplest form, is a paid space in a newspaper where you can write about something. Many times companies use this to inform the public or at other times individuals use this method to express condolences or inform about someone who has disappeared. These are just examples. A newspaper should be able to give you prices, formats and sizes.

But given your problem this is a waste of money.

Check with iplan. If they are also wiring Mendoza you might be able to get internet through them, independently of your current IPS.

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for that Roberto..
I checked IPLAN and it is only Fiber Optics, and they dont operate in Mendoza..
Oh well keep on trying..

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Telecom operates in Mendoza along with Telefonica, but each have their own area of dominance.
My place is under the dominance of Telefonica!!!
I am a Telefonica guy.. i.e. a Telefoniquense!
Viva Telefonica!

Gregg
Username: Wordznpics

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You mentioned you have a satellite dish... have you checked out Internet via satellite? Granted, it's probably somewhat pricey, and probably on par with ADSL in the States; but it's possibly an option.

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg.
Thanks but not here. I can assure you I have checked everything here. Not doing. No satellite internet in Arg yet.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 344

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Argentina is basically a caveat emptor nation. Let the buyer beware.

There is no public service commission that I have seen or heard of so large mostly foreign corporations like Telephonica can pretty much thumb their nose at their customers and just say, pay your bill.

Do not expect to be able to return items you purchase and decide they are not what you want. Return polices are scarce.

Argentina is not paradise. But it really is a good place to visit and I think, live.

Gregg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

May be a dumb question, but with satellite, do you need an Argentinian (Argentine?) supplier?

Could you go with an international supplier?

http://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm

http://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm

http://www.bentley-walker.com/services_star-blazer .php

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg.. Thanks for that. I am looking into it.
The best thing I have done since I moved to Argentina is to get VONAGE VOIP(Voice Over IP). You get a USA number with an area code of your choosing. One good way to bugger telefonica up! It costs 15 $US a month(Basic, 500 Minutes) or unlimited calling (25 $US): Free calling to Italia, Canada and I think Spain. Vonage to Vonage is free. Check em out at www.vonage.com
You need wide band internet and a special vonage router with a phone jack outlet so you can hook up your phone .
And if you decide to sign up please include my e-mail address riyada@usa.net, so I get a free month!!

Riyad

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To all which talk on/over the computer....for business or personal.

There is a site called Skype...everyone probably knows by now but you can talk computer to computer anywhere in the world for free and calls from the computer to land lines for almost no cost. Also, there is a webcam option and chat messenger as well.

So there is no going to a friends house or paying for calling cards, that is if you have a computer with internet service.

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Gregg
Satellite Internet :
Cannot be done with the exisiting satellite dish from Direct TV which I have currently, since the dish can only do one way transmission.
They can provide me with a special dish : Cost 3300US$. And that has to be shipped over to me in Arg. and knowing the great customs people here : Impossible to bring in! Unless someone here knows of a REALLY good customs broker that can import the dish with no hassles.

Cheers

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom:
There is the "Consumer Defense" agency, at least here in Mendoza, and I tell you, they are TOPS!.. Forget about getting lawyers and law suits.. These guys make them tremble! I have solved 3 cases of no compliance in a snap!
So expats, take a note, if you run into any consumer related problems, be it with trying to return a faulty item, to a travel agency not wanting to refund the ticket price, to your pool leaking due to poor labour, you have the "Defensa del Consumidor" to the rescue! On top of that it is free!! Unless ofcourse it is related to an ISP located outside of your province.
Also there is CNC (Centro Nacional de Comunicaciones?) to get at telefonica. I havent tried them yet. But I know people that have and were successful in resolving issues such as no telephone line or overcharging.
Riyad

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 353

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good information, Thanks Riyada

farmersbase
Username: Farmersbase

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

very good information thanks too, farmersbase

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys.. Appreciate the kind words..
Thats what we are all here for afterall, to help each other out!
Cheers
Riyad

Gregg

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyada,

You wrote: "The best thing I have done since I moved to Argentina is to get VONAGE VOIP(Voice Over IP)."

Start looking around. Apparently Vonage is NOT in good shape, and just lost a dispute with Verizon over using patented technology in its service. The ship could be going down; but there are other companies that offer VOIP service.

Gregg

Kirk Afshar
Username: Love_argentina

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been posting this three times and no answer from any one !
I have a TV is a Canadian system like Chile.
does My TV works in Argentina and if not can be converted and how Much it cost
2- if I rent an apartment do I have to buy stove and friege or is self contain like US and Canada.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I answered your question here. Argentina uses the PAL system. Most apartments that you rent will probably have a refrigerator and a stove.

Pedro Cornejo
Username: Pedro_c

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your Canadian TV will work only in Black & White. I have a similar problem with a TV from the UK which is supposedly multisystem i.e. PAL & NTSC. However the system here in Argentina is PAL-N and not compatible. I was told by T.V. technician that it can be done but its very expensive. Apparently if you subscribe to Directv (satellite provider) you'll have no such problem, as they transmit their signal in NTSC as well as PAL-N.

Pedro

Riyada
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Talking about American politics:
Here is my comunication with my DSL (Datarmakets) company in Arg..
Complete #$%^@&'s.

Never get a DSL service here in Argentina!
My answer :

"RETARDADOS."

------ Original Message ------
Received: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 07:03:01 AM PDT
To: <riyada@xxx.net>
Subject: FW: Re: FW: Dar de Baja Servicio Internet CLIENTE # xxxxxx

Estimado Estimado Riyad da Silva:

Le informo que el medido de baja de parte de Datamarkes hacia la
compania telefonica se gestion el dia 29/03 ,de alli en mas los tiempos de la baja de la digitalizacion de la linea corresponden a la compania telefonica. Quedamos a su entera disposición y hacemos propicia la ocasión para saludarlo muy cordialmente.
Miguel Sinzano
Gerencia de Atención al Cliente - Datamarkets Network Services.

Username: Canuck

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I was visiting in November I remember seeing alot of ads from competing companies advertising inexpensive broadband service - $20 monthly for the initial 3 months if I recall. I don't know if they were cable or DSL. Are these companies any good?

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, those companies can operate good or bad. Its depends of their demand. Best advice is to rent the cheapest, because higher prices don�t gives you a a good service warranty.
Regards,

Darth
http://livepalermo.blogspot.com/

WelcomeToMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Telefonica has been on strike for close to two weeks now, also throwing chaos and mayhem into the lives of those of us that only can have them as a DSL service. I know several people who have lost their Internet and others, like me, that can only go to certain web sites after 4pm - it is crazy! The cable company here in Mendoza loves it - they are signing up new users right and left, where they can. The problem is that the cable company and the few other competitors only service a limited range of addresses. The only bright spot here is that every time this happens, Telefonica is just helping to enhance their Internet competitors to get ahead and create some real competition one day. Good luck!
Sean

John Rygh
Username: Zonda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi - I gather from the posts about internet service in Mendoza that its a questionable proposition. Im planning on coming down to Chile/Argentina for about 6 months and need to have a reliable DSL connection because I am going to homeschool my kids online. Im hoping to find a house to rent for a few months in Mendoza. One question is whether a gringo on a tourist visa can even get an account in Argentina in my own name (not possible in Chile). Another temporary measure that occurred to me is that if there are two ISPs in Mendoza, might it be possible to go to an internet caf that uses a different ISP when the other one is down? Id rather not go the caf/hotspot route, but given the reliability issues raised, maybe thats the best I can hope for. I really need to be online a few hours every day though. Any thoughts out there? Thanks. - John

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

John, welcome. If it is a few hours a day, then the cybercafe option is very valid. I have done this myself when my connection was down in BA and had to walk around the corner to use the cybercafe's different one. Usually, cybers will have good speed but older, uncomfortable computers.

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I take my laptop to Argentina and look for an internet facility that either has Wi-Fi or will allow me to hook up directly to their cable. With a little effort I usually can locate someone very accommodating and I go there every day to get my work done. I can also download many things and read later offline. Arial

WelcomeToMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you live downtown Mendoza where ther at least 3 different Internet companies to sign up with, there should be no problems.
And as for WIFI there are now dozens of wifi spots that are all free.
It's when you get out into the burbs where you are most of the time limited to Speedy/Telefonica, unless the Cable company will hookup Internet in your area. Satelie dish Internet (Primus) is available but last I checked will run over 400 pesos a month. I have had Speedy for almost 2 years now, and really the only problem I had is when they wen on strike - that was a 10 day down time, and it hurt - I got to know the wifi spots real well again:-)

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 103

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I use and love Skype. I signed up with Skype for a US telephone number and I give that number out without explanation. People think they are calling me in Central Florida but who knows where I will be when I answer?

I have set my computer to "ring" and if someone calls, even from a normal telephone, my computer "rings" like a phone, I answer, and they have no clue I am talking to them through a computer. Business calls, personal calls. Doesn't matter. If I am not available, they can leave a voice mail. There is a call forwarding capability as well though I don't use it. I have no telephone service at all. Only cable for my computer.

Computer to computer calls, where both people have Skype, are free. I paid an introductory annual $14.00 for Sky-out (ability to call a regular telephone from my computer) within the US and Canada. There is a very low rate for overseas calls to a regular telephone from my computer. I paid $30.00 annual charge for one year for Skype-in, my local US telephone number. You can look into it at www.skype.com. Arial

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration