Shipping my furniture here? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Shipping my furniture here? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

laura breckham
Username: Turning_porteno

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hello
Does anyone have experience or advice regarding international shipping/crating? What is it like trying to bring your things into the country? Is there a big lag at the border?
I am considering bringing furnishings here to buenos aires because i understand that buying it locally can be tough, as you must order it from the showroom and wait for up to 2 months. Of course i can't wait 2 months for a bed and couch,ect.
Is it possible that if i decide to ship my things from home it could be held up at customs/border for months anyway?
thanks

Riyad Anabtawi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Laura .. I am very interested/intrigued/astounded at the fact that here, one has to wait up to 2 months for a bed???? Who is that very misinformed source of yours?
Customs people here are sharks FYI

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura what type of visa are you here on? that will determine already what you can ship. Also, unless you have specific things that you absolutely can't live without, it's usually easier to just buy your things here and bring in the smaller things that are of poor quality here. We even managed to bring in a 26" LCD TV in our suitcase when we moved here.

Laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

laura breckham
Username: Turning_porteno

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the advice.
i have read and heard that getting furniture that you want is tough, i heard showrooms will have a piece and that you would need to wait to have one made once you pay for it. they don't just have them in stock, like a north american furniture store would. i would love to know that this is hear say and that i will be able to furnish a place easily.
we are here on a tourist visa currently, what would the restrictions be at customs for bringing goods into the country?
laura

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In one of my trips I needed a new, bigger mattress. I didn't want to settle for less so I looked for the expensive type and visited at least 5 different stores -all upscale and nice- which could deliver the piece in not less than 2 or more weeks. Some stores said the mattress had to be finished. Not surprising as noone wants to stock material goods because of past demand being unstable -btw, this is also the reason companies rarely invest and go on with 20 year old machinery-. Since I couldn't wait I opened up to a broader vision and visited stores in many other neighborhoods to finally find something close to what I wanted near Constitucion. The moral is... true, if you want specific furniture but you may also consider expanding the area you are exploring. You may be surprised to find some places that do have furniture available on the spot. BA is big.

Customs is a lottery. I personally would not want to deal with them even if a tourist visa allows me to bring such and such. Not speaking about bribery. Just simply bureaucracy.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would say unless you have furniture that is special to you or antiques, the cost of shipping would far outweigh the costs of buying it in Argentina.

In my exerience it is true that most stores that sell quality furniture simply act as a showroom and carry no stock. Once you place an order it is sent to a factory and the items are physically made to your order. Typically this takes 2-3 weeks, but can be longer. Sometimes, particularly for a cash sale, stores can be "persuaded" to sell their display items. There's no harm in asking.

As Roberto said, some stores do carry a few items in stock so it's worth shopping around.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there are many "budget" stores that carry furniture in stock, as does the Easy DIY chain. However, be aware that this is mostly poor-quality mass-produced stuff usually impoted from China. As well as looking cheap and nasty, it won't last and is a waste of money. However, it is cheap. For a lot less than a few hundred dollars you can buy the simple basics as a temporary measure which will make your home livable in until your proper furniture arrives after a few weeks. This is what I did with my first apartment.

I hope this is helpful.

Simon

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In reality you're not supposed to be bringing in your personal goods on a tourist visa. A tourist visa is just that meant for short term stays. It's the same reason why technically you're supposed to only rent furnished apartments for no more than 6 months (the length of two terms on your tourist visa). Of course we all know that it's a farce at this time because there are so many people living here on tourist visas. But bringing in your things...no no, and even if you did it will be customs hell.

Incidentally, the things you buy here while on a tourist visa, if you decide to head back after a year, you won't be allowed to ship it back in your name because you entered on a tourist visa (although there are a couple of ways around this). I know this because I actually checked into it for us.

We furnished a 3700 sq foot house with a variety of things:
1. new goods from Avenida Belgrano which is full of furniture makers - our furniture came from the showroom floor and was delivered several days later, Simon is right sometimes it can take longer or you will send back over and over again because something isn't right with what you ordered;
2. ferias or yard/garage sales (see my post in my blog about the best one we attended http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/04/my_first_remate.html#trackback) provided a ton of things for our house - all of beautiful quality because it was a German woman who had brought in a lot of things;
3. expats who were leaving and were selling their things (BAIN - Buenos Aires International Newcomers is an expat group you can join which will give you the best entre into this) - this is a great time of year because the roll over time for embassy people is approaching and the BAIN emails for things for sale start to increase;
4. Mercado Libre if your Spanish is up to snuff, although it's not nearly as great as the regular Ebay of which it is part of;
5. for appliances, we were able to buy floor samples at Carrefour at a substantial discount, plus it was during a promotional time where using a visa got an additional discount.

These are all just some of the tricks.

p.s. we got a wonderful mattress at La Cardeuse (French brand). We had our mattress just a few days later and received a nice discount for paying in cash (effectivo), delivery was included at no charge.

email me if you have any other questions.

Laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

(Message edited by admin on February 21, 2007)

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Regarding beds, I throughly recommend Limansky (King Koil) on the corner of Callao/Corrientes. They are not cheap (approx US$1,000 for a bed) but the quality and service are superb. I bought a bed and sofa bed from them which took 2 weeks for delivery - meantime they lent me a bed so I at least had something to sleep on - they even arranged for it to be delivered sameday then later collected again after the one I ordered was delivered, at their own expense. I didn't ask them to do this - they offered!

Simon
The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration