English primary schools?? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » English primary schools?? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

laura breckham
Username: Turning_porteno

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi
We are newly converted portenos from Canada and need help finding the right school for our child.
We are looking for an english first language or bilingual primary school for our 4 year old. I have found Lincoln School,it looks great but very expensive(ie, 9,000 US$). Does anyone know of other options,preferably in Palermo, or at least reachable by subte? I think a full spanish immersion may be tough for her. Probably kids that speak at least some english would be a better transition. Calling all expat parents, any advice would be great!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura, welcome!

I am going through the same with my bahamian daughter and came down here to explore just this. Yes, Lincoln is very expensive. I haven't found any alternatives except for bilingual schools.

So far, I see only 2 choices: Washington School and Lincoln School in Belgrano (not the one in Vicente Lopez/La Lucila). I am very familiar with the first one, as I got my education right there (primary). They have -as in the past- spanish classes in the morning and only english in the afternoon. Fees were approximately usd $300 for K and $350/400 for 1st-7th grades. These are 10 months periods + one month fee (enrollment). So you are looking at usd $3300/4400. The lunches were about 8 pesos a day for a monthly cost of about $160/170 (another usd $50+). And then, they offer a bus service but I can't remember how much.

I, of course, am biased and can't speak highly enough of them but this doesn't solve the problem of a child who knows no spanish and will be surrounded by 99% argentines. I only once had a friend from Ecuador and that was in my 5th grade. I am also afraid of the impact a 6 year old may have to go through by such drastic change. Not sure how will this be for a 4 year old.

The second bilingual choice is Lincoln School in Olleros street -just a few blocks from Washington School, also in Belgrano-. They are an equivalent school both in terms of costs and programs.

If anyone knows of another choice please post.

laura breckham
Username: Turning_porteno

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto
So even at Washington, most of the kids are spanish first language. Do you know about the Lincoln school here, are most of the kids there spanish first language?? I assumed it was mostly expats. Really at 4 years old, the socialization is the most important thing. She has preschool experience and knows the format, it would just be the communication aspect that would prohibit me from sending her to any other program. I assume that when she is older i would opt for american curriculum as we are an "international" family and intend to continue travelling.
We don't know belgrano at all, is there a subway stop there?
thanks laura

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think subway gets to Belgrano, now. I only got to BA last week so I need to update my transportation system knowledge. It is very easy to get to any of the Belgrano area schools. Specially by bus.

>So even at Washington, most of the kids are spanish first language.
Most, if not all.

The "Lincoln" that is located out of the city limits has over 30% kids who are from a foreign country. This is listed on their website. I do not know any other school like this one.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura, I'll check one of my resources and post some other possiblities if there are any which more likely will be outside of the city.
Laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration