Transferring money FROM Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Transferring money FROM Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steven Leslie
Username: Sleslie23

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have any experience transferring money from Argentina to a US bank?

I would assume that the transaction fees are similar as transferring money to Argentina, but are there any restrictions, or other legal issues involved.

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In general, most noble argentines will avoid this as to prevent leaving tracks. This would most likely be done by currency exchange houses and the like. But you need to know the *names*. As for your real question, I don't have the facts but there are possibly some restrictions. I will try to find out in the coming weeks when I am there, unless someone posts sooner...

Steven Leslie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

Maybe I should clarify more. If I were being paid salary in Argentina to my account in Argentina, is it possible, easy, etc. to transfer money from that account to my account in the US.

Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a guess... possible? yes. Easy? probably not. Since you will be paid in pesos this implies a conversion first, which means the involvement of the foreign trade office, which in turn means some paperwork. But perhaps for small amounts or money transfered from personal accounts to personal accounts there is not such a thing and procedures are quicker. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cap. Take my comments with a grain of salt. I will try to get the facts when I am there.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This has become a very interesting thread. I didn't know that money once in the country could be difficult to take back out! I'd be interested in more information about this.

Argentines are amazing people. When I worry about certain legal things there, they just laugh at the regulation and tell me "there's always a way." I get the impression they really believe there always is and that they all know how it can be done. I sat next to an Argentina businessman on the plane last time I returned to the US who told me that I need a Swiss bank account if I'm going to live in Argentina. I wonder if this issue is the reason he told me that. I asked him if he knows how to do that and he said, "I grew up in Argentina!" The implication being that every Argentine knows such basic information!

Arial

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Taking money out is not necessarilly difficult. It is different. Judging by some past deeds by notorious argentines -packing luggages with money and fleeing the country- it could actually be surprisingly easy.

> The implication being that every Argentine knows such basic information!

Yes, we are born with a special set of surviving skills. But you can quickly acquire them after you move :-)

Steven Leslie

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto. I guess I'll take an extra large, empty suitcase as backup. :-)

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was told recently that to wire money from argentina to the usa means one has to go to the central bank and fill out all kinds of paperwork to whom it's going to and also the receiving party must write some type of letter explaining why they need the funds. . Does anyone know if that is true?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try a reputable 'casa de cambio'.

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

With travel to Argentina what would you experience individuals say would be the best denomination of bills which should be taken. In some countries 100 U.S. bills are questioned and untouchable. Would you suggest 20's, 50's where there wouldn't be a problem exchanging them without problems. Will "case de combio" or "Banks" deal with higher than 20 bills without a hassle ? Also how do the locals deal with USD bills? I am aware that one should always give small Argentine peso bills because of so many fake peso's that are circulating and the possibilities are they one can get them in change, even at ATM machines as I have read could be possible.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Large bills (both dollars and pesos) are always suspect particularly in smaller shops and restaurants and many will refuse to accept them. If I get stuck with large bills I use them in larger supermarkets, hotels, restaurants with no problem particularly when I am paying a bill close to the face amount of the bill. They will examine them carefully and use the counterfeit dectection pen, etc. I bring in a couple of thousand dollars of US currency every trip and exchange in right at the Banco Nacional located just past customs. I ask for small bills nothing larger than a twenty though I usually wind up having to take some 50's. I split up the cash between my pockets and my wife's pockets. I use that throughout the trip keeping the majority of it in the hotel safe.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration