OPPORTUNITIES FOR WRITERS Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » OPPORTUNITIES FOR WRITERS « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean McAlister
Username: Smcali23

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OPPORTUNITIES FOR WRITERS & OTHER EDITORIAL CONTRIBUTORS

BA Insider is a new magazine dedicated to English speakers living in Buenos Aires. The magazine offers its readers a deeper insight into life in the Capital, beyond the scope of the existing guides. We are now recruiting new writing talent and other editorial contributors to the team, to assist us in becoming the best source of information for English speakers in Buenos Aires. In addition to writers we are actively recruiting photographers, reviewers, researchers and copy editors.

Our content will cover the areas of lifestyle, culture, travel, sport & recreation, health, financial, medical & other services, restaurant/bar reviews and general tips. We are looking for talented writers who are curious about life in Argentina and willing to delve deep in order to find a story that will interest those who have grown weary of just hearing about the staples of Argentine tourism. There is no preference towards writers who have lived here for an extended period of time, or those who are willing to contribute a large amount of writing. What matters most is your ability to look at things from a different perspective and convey that to the reader with charisma and enthusiasm.

This is an excellent opportunity to be a part of something exciting and new right from the outset, and to play your part in moulding the future direction of the magazine. If you are interested in joining our team please email us at sean.mcalister@bainsidermag.com with the following information:

1. A copy of your CV/Resume and contact information

2. Two writing samples

3. Examples of the topic areas you would be interested in writing about, along with a list of concrete story ideas

In addition to writing talent we have opportunities for photographers with existing work and those who would like to be sent out on assignment, researchers, reviewers and copy editors. If you know of anyone who may be interested in any of the roles listed, please forward this invitation to them.

Sean McAlister

Editor, BA Insider

carlos a. gazzari
Username: Gazz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Roberto, or anybody over there}.
I am an Arg. citizen in usa for 42 years. We are currently attempting to sell out & return over there permanently, to the Atlantic coast by Mar del Plata. The problem is transfering money over there when there is nobody to receive it. The reason, no bank will open an account without your being present, having a DNI and other requirements. We need to buy a house there. Now the question is, how do you lick this, other than sewing 80 or 90 K dollars to your clothing and trying to fly there with all that loot and SURVIVING!!!??? A U.S. bank told me to buy travelers' checks & buy our home there. Can you imagine carrying all that paper and having to countersign each bill at least 500 times? Citibank, for example, told me over the phone from over there that I had to wait a year, after I opened an account there, before they would transfer $ from their USA branch, both HOPELESS propositions. Can you tell me how to solve this? All I have is a brand-new Arg. passport and birth certificate.
Many thanks, Roberto.
GAZZ.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could you hire an attorney in Argentina who would handle your real estate closing and wire him the money to be held in escrow? As I understand it for most real estate sales in Argentina the transfer of funds is actually done in cash in US currency. So even if you had travelers checks they would have to be cashed and converted into hard currency. With all the Americans buying homes and apartments in Buenos Aires there must be a fairly simple way to accomplish the transfer. Keep searching on buying real estate in Argentina and you will probably find people who have gone through this. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. My wife and I hope to move to Mar del in about 5 years or so.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carlos, welcome! Bill's suggestion of using a lawyer and an escrow should work well. A couple of questions, are you sure the seller wants the funds in Argentina? Many times, funds are handled abroad completely without ever crossing *borders*. I would agree moving such amount is crazy if not outright illegal. About the only other option would be to find a local agent who has international accounts and is able to cash an international check for you. For this, you may have to approach one of the large currency exchange offices and find the right person who will guide you through the process.

As Bill said, there must be a solution to moving large amounts of money without putting everything at risk as many others have bought and are buying local property all the time.

Try calling Banco Piano and similar.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carlos

You could use a casa de cambio (also known as exchange houses) to bring in the money. The way this kind of business works is simple: Basically, you transfer funds in dollars into a bank account outside of Argentina (usually in the US or Europe) that belongs to the exchange bureau. Once the funds have cleared, the exchange bureau will give you the equivalent amount of dollars in cash in Argentina, less their commission of course. Commissions are usually in the 1.5 - 2.5% ballpark.

Although probably 80% plus of foreigners buying property in Argentina bring in the purchase funds in this way, the use of exchange bureau was always a grey area of the law. Recently, the government confirmed that it is illegal to bring money into the country this way. As a result of this most now classify themselves as stockbrokers, and *technically* buy stocks for you abroad then sell them again immediately and release the purchase funds to you, after doing some financial wizardry. The net effect is the same, although once again the legality is a grey area.

The reputable exchange houses will ask you to prove where the funds come from - as will the official banks - to certify that you are not laundering money (some firms are “loose” divisions of overseas banks, and may have to comply with money laundering legislation in their home country). You will also be asked to sign a form declaring that the funds are not being laundered. Also, you will have to prove your identify and/or address by taking your passport and other requested documentation.

To prove where the funds have come from, you might have to show previous tax returns, proof of a real estate sale or mortgage, and so on, depending on the source. Note that sale of stock or bonds are considered the same as cash so you will have to demonstrate where the original purchase funds came from. In short, there has to be a proportionality between the funds being transferred and the source of that money. In reality, the money laundering requirements are usually just a minor formality.

The reputable houses will release your funds within 48 hours of the transfer, but I have heard of some exchange bureaus that have sat on funds for weeks before telling the client the transfer was complete - earning them a nice amount in interest no doubt.

Because the services these organisations provide are a grey area, they tend to be shadowy and low key. You won’t get anything in writing saying how they operate or confirming their commission structure. You will most likely only be given the account number of a foreign bank and a reference number with which to make your transfer. It doesn’t inspire confidence. When I bought my first property I was introduced to an apparently reputable exchange house by my friends. I was worried that they wouldn’t give me anything in writing. It didn’t feel right to me - it wasn’t how I did business. After much agonising I decided to go ahead and use them as my friends assured me everything would be fine. I duly made the transfer, then was worried sick for the next four days (the transfer was over a weekend with a public holiday) about how stupid I had been. I had on trust transferred over US$200,000 into a black hole in Germany, with nothing in writing. My friends in the UK would think I was completely, barking mad. I thought I was completely, barking mad. Those four days were some of the most stressful of my life.

On the fourth day I got an early morning call. My funds had arrived in the bureau’s German bank and the dollars were ready for me to collect from their office. I tell you this so that you can be prepared for the stress that using a bureau may entail. In comparison to the way things are done in Europe or the US, transferring money on trust like this seems lunacy, and it’s only natural that you may find it very stressful. Be prepared to deal with this. As long as you are using a reputable exchange house you will have nothing to worry about.

Some exchange houses refer to themselves as private banks. They may offer pseudo-banking facilities. You won’t get a cheque book, deposit book or statements, but they will hold funds on your behalf from which you can withdraw cash at any time on presentation of suitable ID.

Most exchange houses and private banks will only accept new clients by private recommendation. As the relationship with an exchange house is based entirely on trust it is extremely important that you use one that someone you know and trust has used before, and can therefore recommend it with confidence.

Although the vast majority of foreigners still bring their purchase cash in this way, be aware of new legislation which means that when you go to sell you may have to prove how the purchase funds were brought into the country.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration