Advice desired for Rentista Visa Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Advice desired for Rentista Visa « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patagonia
Username: Xandersal

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola todo,

I'm living in Argentina on a tourist visa and now want to make this place my home. Looks like the Rentista visa towards residence is the best path. I'm trying to understand the process for the first application. I have several questions:

** I understand that I need to be in the USA to apply and cannot apply when I'm in Argentina. Can you confirm this?

** Also, if I were to hire ARCA (www.argentinaresidency.com/) what is the timeline? How long do I need to be in the US to get the Rentista Visa so I can then return to Argentina with the temporary resident visa?

** I also understand that I need to have an interview at the Argentine Embassy/Consulate. For me this would probably be the one in Los Angeles. Can anyone tell me what this interview is about, what questions they ask, and how long it lasts?

** Is this the only interview I need to take?

** What documents are required for the interview?

** My passport will show that I've been in Argentina (leaving every three months and then returning) for two years. Will this be a problem?

** Does anyone have a timely, positive experience with a rentista visa with some other than ARCA?

Any information, even if not asked, from experienced, successful now-resident estadounidenses would be welcome.

Muchisimas gracias!!

Xander

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Xander and welcome. Many of your questions are already answered on this forum. With so much good information here, newcomers will probably benefit from reading previous posts on selected subjects. (Try using the "Search" capability on the upper right-hand side.) I will answer some that I think have not already been covered. Please remember that in Argentina things can change without notice.

Argentina will not care how many times you have made the round trip on the tourist visa.

I already wrote about my experience with AFN Visas, which I can recommend. Others on this forum like ARCA too. I ruled out ARCA because they even wanted money up front to answer my questions. I can do preliminary interviews with almost any attorney without having to pay for it. I didn't like their attempt to grab for money for giving me information. AFN visas sat down with me for about an hour and went over what I could do and about 6 months later when I made my decision, I chose AFN over ARCA. So far I have not been disappointed! They have been wonderful to me.

I appear at the Consulado de Argentina in Miami on Feb 6 for my approval interview and this forum may be sure you will hear from me if and when I am a bona fide resident!

Although the reasons have already been covered in previous posts, it would be very difficult to gather the paperwork you will need unless you are in the US. That is the challenge that pretty much requires applying from the US.

I hope you will keep us informed as you proceed. Arial

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial's suggestion is a good one. Search for the keywords ARCA or AFN and you will find many comments/posts.

Arial

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, this is not a complaint but just to let you know or whoever else should be notified. I have tried to respond to private messages following the reply instructions at the bottom. I get the message to Please enter a valid email address so now I am just responding from my regular email.

Just letting you know the instructions for replying through Travelsur do not work. Same with the instructions for posting to the forum. I can respond but it does not get to the forum so I end up just coming here to post.

In the past I did not read through the instruction before responding to a personal message but just clicked reply and answered, so I don't even know if those who have sent me private messages have received my replies. I ALWAYS respond. So if anyone asked for clarification and received no reply, this is the reason.

Arial

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 954
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial, I am looking into this.

I made 1 or 2 changes this past week that may have affected the 'reply by email' system -difficult to install- and I am still testing it. This is why you are reading the instructions but going nowhere. I made it live but haven't succeeded in making it work. Perhaps it is also affecting private messaging... I will try to solve these problems this week. And your "heads up" is appreciated!

Arial

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As promised, though a little late, here is my update on my temporary residence (Jubilado) process in Argentina. For those considering this process, it is supposed to be the easiest residency to obtain but to me it has been more like an endurance test. It has been going on for months.

I appeared this past Monday in Miami for my interview. My Spanish-speaking son flew in to accompany me. I'm glad he did! The very gracious interviewer spoke some English but not enough to handle everything in English, plus they wanted the additional papers completed in Spanish. However, the "interview" seemed mostly to fill out more papers swearing that I have never lived anywhere other than the addresses given, never had incidents with the police, filling in index-type cards, getting a full set of fingerprints. Lots more paperwork. The bank statements they required months ago, together with Spanish translations, were not considered satisfactory because they were now months old so I now must get up-to-date statements and translations.

I could not have completed the requirements for this residency without the Argentina immigration firm that handled it for me. Nor could I have done it from Argentina. It is possible that in some cases you could do it yourself, particularly if you are already well-established in Argentina, perhaps have relatives living there, and so on, I am not sure. But in my case it would have been impossible.

I still do not have my visa and residency. I am now complying with additional requirements and waiting for the new translation to be completed and sent to the embassy by the Argentina-approved translators in Coral Gables, Florida. Then I must make another 3-hour trip to Miami.

And so, folks, I still am not an official "resident" but maybe am in the home stretch. Arial

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arial, don't give up and good luck!

Username: Rhys

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quick question, we have just received our rentista visas and have a year to enter the country before the permission expires. There are a few things we need to do over the coming year or two before we settle in BA for good. Does anyone know how many months you have to stay in the country after first arriving to qualify to renew the visa the next year ?

Any help appreciated
Rhys

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome, Rhys! I will ask around but others may respond before I do.

Arial

Post Number: 99

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rhys. I add my welcome as well!

I don't know if the rentista visa is different. You would need to check with a professional to be sure. But I have a jubilado visa and my immigration attorney tells me that there is no law requiring that I spend any specified time in Argentina to renew the visa. Arial

Rhys
Username: Rhys

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Arial

Thanks for your welcome and response. Does the jubilado visa allow you to apply for citizenship after a few years like the rentista visa does ? The reason I ask is that, if you don't have to be in the country for a minimum period of time to renew, what would stop people flying in for a short holiday and renewing for a couple of years and then applying for citizenship without actually ever living in the country ?

Rhys

Arial

Post Number: 100

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a non-expert on this subject, here is my understanding.

Yes, I can apply for citizenship when my residency is permanent in three years. Nothing that I know of would stop people from doing what you say except that granting or denying citizenship is at the discretion of Imigraciones. If your record shows no serious interest in living in Argentina, citizenship could well be denied. Arial

Randy Feldhaus
Username: Familiafeldhaus

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone sent anything to Argentina (in our case 4 bicycles and camping gear) by freighter? We will only have tourist visas. I have heard customs may make you provide a bond or guarantee. We hope to renew our tourist visa several times to remain for a year or so. Does this cause any problems with customs and any bond posted for "temporary items" brought in?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration