Being Vegetarian in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Being Vegetarian in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

A Sheesh
Username: Buenosaireshereicome

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola,

I am considering a short term move to Buenos Aires and was curious about the food options for being a vegetarian in Buenos Aires. I don't eat any fish, beef, or chicken. No meat of any kind. Any help that you can offer would be great.

Muchas gracias...

Wizo
Username: Wizo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sheesh! Argentines are practically carnivores. You'll have a hard time.

A Sheesh
Username: Buenosaireshereicome

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wizo, i was worried that might be the response....

anyone else that might be able to shed some light on that would be helpful. i have been a vegetarian for almost 3 years, so i would like to stay that way.

thanks (gracias)

Riyad Anabtawi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vegetarian?? Heck is dat?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are a few places that offer vegetarian food but you will have to look far and wide. There are some groceries stores that are 'naturistas' but they do not compare to what you can find in the US and definitely there are no Whole Foods Market or equivalent. There used to be a 'classic' place in Cordoba Ave and Montevideo street called 'La esquina de las flores' where you could buy more holistic foods. Not sure what happened to them but I see that they have a website. Not exactly vegetarian but more 'integral' or whole food. If they are still there, pay them a visit and they will tell for sure where you can find more places like theirs -or similar-.

Another route for your research... spend time in the used-bookstores in Corrientes Ave. as they will have staff working there that might be into anything alternative and they might know. Or any 'new age' bookstore as the one in Libertad street and Santa Fe Ave where you can also buy lots of books of astrology or meditation. You will have to get acquainted with these circles.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try the Happy Cow website http://www.happycow.net/south_america/argentina/buenos_aires/index.html which lists 9 restaurants in Buenos Aires.

While Roberto is correct that sadly there are no Whole Foods or Wild Oats type stores, you can check dieteticas, Jumbo, and the China Town markets for things like tofu. There is also an abundance of vegetables and fruits here and if you will be staying for a bit, I would suggest you try ordering from Talloverde.com an organic farm that delivers only what's in season. Be sure to tell them I referred you if you do as you should get a nice 50% discount (and I will too :-)).

Now, I would suggest you be very careful with empanadas as even the vegetable ones use dough that has beef fat in it, as well as medialunas. However, you can find ones that are made from vegetable oil in the frozen cases in groceries as well as soya products.

It's not impossible to be vegetarian here, you just have to use a little more creativity, sort of how it was in the States a good 10 or 15 years ago. We had a houseguest for awhile who was a strict vegetarian and she got along just fine.

If you want to email me feel free.

Laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

(Message edited by admin on January 16, 2007)

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> It's not impossible to be vegetarian here...

In fact, I know at least 4 people in my own little circle of friends (actually one is a male cousin) that have been vegetarians for over 2 decades. But they have the discipline not to eat out or just order a salad while everybody else indulges in a meat fest. Speaking of spartan discipline...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration