Advice/Help American interested in Me... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Advice/Help American interested in Medicine at UBA « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joshua Gutierrez
Username: Musicatthebuzzer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My name is Joshua and I am from Philadelphia. I just graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh May 2006. I have just been offered a spot to study medicine at the Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad de Buenos Aires; this is actually fairly difficult to obtain being international as only 20 spots were available this year for non Argentinians. I could definitely get into an American school and I have even looked at a school in Guadalajara, México (where I studied abroad for 3 semesters) and a couple schools in Spain. However, I feel like studying in Argentina would be a great oportunity to be exposed to south american culture. Also, the university does not charge any tuition besides an inscription fee. The problem for me now is that I do not have a large amount of savings (4-5,000 USD) and I still have to purchase a ticket to get down to Buenos Aires (I think about 1,000 USD), rent a furnished apartment, and pay for food.

This means the only way that I can pull this off is if I find some sort of employment in Buenos Aires or loans. Federal loans are out of the question as the US Department of Education does not "recognize" la UBA and therefore I would not be eligible for federal funding. I am just starting to look into private loans and scholarships. It would have to be a loan with a very low monthly payment or that I would not have to begin payments on until completion of medical school (which would take about 6 years at UBA).

Basically, I am looking for advice and any relevant comments on my situation. If I am studying medicine that will mean that I will have to work around my studies. I still do not know what the class schedule is like at the university. Does anyone have any contacts that have studied in Argentina and have found aid? Does anyone have any information on teaching english in Argentina and how much money I could make? Does anyone have any contacts for other employment possibilities? Also, I believe I am a smart individual and am capable of mastering various types of employment (I am not full of myself, just confident). I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University while studying abroad at la Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara and el Instituto Tecnológico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey: Campus Guadalajara. I have worked 2 internships at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan and recently left a job with Schlumberger (www.slb.com) in Alberta, Canada. I was an Emergency Medical Technician in high school. Anyway, if this doesn't work out I will just go to school somewhere in North America where I can get financial aid; however, I would relish the opportunity to study and live in Buenos Aires. This may not be financially possible, however I don't have to arrive until late February 2007 so I have a little time to exhaust all possibilities. So in summary...help!

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Joshua

contact info:
musicatthebuzzer@hotmail.com (msn)
musicatthebuzzer (aim)

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 304

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Joshua and welcome
I think you should consider renting a room with some family which would save you a lot of money.
You will find Argentine people among the friendliest people in the world.
You might think about trying to find work part time in one of Buenos Aires excellent hospitals?
What part of the US are you in. You can get a roundtrip flight out of Miami for around $750 on Aerolineas Argentinas or Lan Chile or other airlines. You might have a problem getting a flight that is 9 months or more to return. If you can save money by buying a roundtrip ticket which suprisingly is sometimes cheaper than a one way, just fly the first part of the flight and then not use the return ticket.

Good luck

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 915
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joshua, so you have 1 degree in mechanical engineer and experience in medical emergency. Can you post a link to your resume so viewers get the full picture. In the meantime, I will see if I can pass this thread around. Hang in there.

Joshua Gutierrez
Username: Musicatthebuzzer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are two copies of my resume, one in spanish and another in english...the spanish one is not up to date. if anyone has any contacts feel free to forward it to them. Thanks

application/msword
Joshua Gutierrez Resume English.doc (33.8 k)
application/msword
Curriculum de Joshua Gutierrez.doc (33.8 k)

William McCurdy
Username: William

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joshua-

I have 3 Argentine friends who are Doctors in BA. All studied at UBA. I believe 2 work at Hospital Italia and 1 at Hospital Allemagne. Send your resume to my e-mail william_mccurdy@comcast.net and I will pass it on.

I worked as an english instructor in BA in 95 & 96 and earned $20.00/hr but this was during the Menem/Cavallo years and 1 peso to 1 Dollar convertibility. So things have changed I'm sure.

Reagrds,
Bill McCurdy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration