Castilian vs Latin American Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Castilian vs Latin American « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Felix Vlad
Username: Felix

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm posting here because several seem to be expat professional/business types living in Argentina.

I may be working for a transnational company in BA, and want to learn as much Spanish as possible before the transfer. I had basic lessons during university, and professors from both backgrounds.

Would you recommend learning Spanish in the "Castilian" style, or the "Latin American" style? Why?

I'm guessing there isn't much difference either way, but what would you business types recommend...

Cheers}

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 292

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Feliz
Learn Spanish in the Argentine way.
I am guessing here but with so many Italians and other European immigrants the Argentine Spanish is different than say Mexican or Columbian etc

the more polite ways of saying certain things can be different

Start your onw thread and we can learn together right here.

Hasta luego

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Felix, welcome! If you will be living in BA better to speak like a Porteņo. Like Tom said, those small differences may actually be big. Besides, if you speak the Castilian style you can make the listener feel closer to you in a subconscious way.

Marite Spruth
Username: Marite35

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Felix

I am an Argentinian teaching Spanish in Sydney Australia for the last 20 years. I have taught many eexecutives posted mainly to Chile, Argentina and Peru. I always tell my students that I'll teach them a standard Spanish (free from the local lingo) of course my accent is still portenio (from Buenos Aires) but the Spanish speaking world learns one Spanish Grammar, recommended by the Royal Academy of Spain, which has representatives of Spanish and Latin American academics.When my students were posted to Chile, for example I would expose them to the Chilean accent, via tapes or CD'S,etc. When in Argentina you will start learning their local expressions and a local teacher could be very helpful. Students learning English face the same problem, English, Australian, North American? English and Spanish are spoken by so many countries, it would be impossible to maintain one accent. If you need any assistance let me know. Marite

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a different viewpoint. When I took classes in the university, and even here in BA at Berlitz we learned standard Spanish. At the Berlitz in BA they only teach vos once you've got the basic Spanish down. Even if someone plans to live in BA people understand standard Spanish just fine, but when you travel to other countries I think it's better to be fluent in standard Spanish (sorry Roberto :-(). I learned in the University in Miami from teachers who were from Espana, Mexico, Cuba, and Peru. Then I spent time in Mexico in a Spanish immersion program so I had a pretty good base. If you can come here with a base it is really the best thing and then you can add to it once you're here. For instance I can go back and forth between the "ll" che sound from Argentina and the softer sound and I attribute that to learning basic Spanish first and then coming here. This is just my two cents worth :-)

Laura
http//movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, one more thing and Roberto and Marite feel free to jump in this one...everything I've ever come across for "latin american" spanish has not been Porteno Spanish. It's always been central america or venezuela, ecuador etc. I just wanted to make that distinction.
Also, a great tool you can sign up for is Lo Mas TV. www.lomastv.com they have clips of soap operas, videos, etc that you can see with or without subtitles and also with English translation. It's the only tool I've ever come across that actually has lots of things from Argentina specifically.

Laura
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/ebook

Marite Spruth

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Laura

Yes, you are right Laura some courses seem to be quite "selective" when referring to Latin American Spanish. I have ordered some Spanish books from USA and they concentrate on Central American Spanish, some phrase books on Latin American Spanish concentrate on Mexican Spanish. The reason I think is cost, to create texts and tapes with different accents could be very expensive. But there are courses covering the whole Spanish speaking world, books as Ya II and Pasodoble by the BCC have lessons covering almost all the Latin American accents. But as I said before a standard Spanish is the way to go.There are also resources in the internet if you do a search on say: Argentinian Spanish or lunfardo (the local slang). I have travelled quite a lot in Latin America and sometimes I have to ask the locals the meaning of their local expressions and one of the areas I found quite different was food, where the vocabulary seems to be as varied as the food each country consumes. Sometimes it can be quite hilarious because food in one area is a dirty work in another. Chau Marite

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Que _____ que sos!!

Ud. que usa palabra de "PorteNIo"(queriendo decir "porteŅo") siempre.necesita hablar con La Real Academia Espaņola para que le enseņen a escribir en Castellano "Argentinizado"

Itīs a shame that your going to teach your students the wrong words and the wrong accent....thatīs bad and you should move from Austrilia to Mongolio.

(Message edited by admin on December 11, 2006)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura, I don't disagree w/u. A base knowledge of spanish is perhaps better for traveling as one can adapt it. But since Felix mentioned Buenos Aires I thought 'castellano' would be more appropriate. When people hear 'tu' instead of 'vos' they may subconsciously think "me and you" as opposed to "us". But that is probably stretching it.

Larry, I try hard not to edit posts. Although what you wrote was funny I am not sure everyone will pick it up the right way and the p word is usually very strong. I know, we say it more than 'hola' and second to 'che' but written words in a forum lack the tone you can provide in a conversation. Not to be taken harsh.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, I have no idea what you edited out of Larry's post. I do know that it was really funny the words I could not use once a while back and I had to say it a different way. But I understood your explanation. The little inconvenience is worth the result and I want to thank you for the great job that you are doing. Since I signed onto this forum I haven't seen anything offensive that I can recall, including personal attacks. Usually I don't stay long on forums because of the rudeness that eventually develops. Thanks for making this a place I like to come to. I hope that you will keep it up.

Arial

Marite Spruth

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Larry

You are not only rude but ignorant, have you ever heard of internet etiquete and electronic mail licence(everybody with a bit of commonsense knows that) whereby you can write you as u, in this case I do not have the enie in the keyboard, so it is better to spell that way rather than porteno. Obviously you have some unresolved issues you will have to deal with instead of using Roberto's fantastic forum to exercise your pettiness. For some reason you are utlising me as your whipping post.
Una portenia
Marite

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marite, I think Larry was only trying to be funny not really rude. I cannot tell you how many times I was told by other hispanics in Miami "Che, b_lu_o" every time I said I was argentine. I, of course, never took offense as it was meant as a joke. These are typical misunderstandings of having the same comment in writing.

And a practical way for Felix to learn about our 'castilian' style and our idiosyncracy.

Marite Spruth

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks you Roberto, I know I use some of that vocabulary myself, I can assure you I am not the prim and proper type,I able to use very colourful language but he's gone too far. I use it with my brother and argentine friends all the time, but this person is using it in the wrong context and has to be put in place.
Gracias
Marite

(Message edited by admin on December 12, 2006)

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 298

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would humbly suggest that we all call a "time out"

THis is a friendly forum and we all get along well under the watchful eye of Roberto.

Amigos and friends are easily spelled on most any key board.

Felix Vlad
Username: Felix

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow - Interesting discussion!!

I didn't intend to start such a debate, but maybe it goes to say that the issue is more important/personal than I originally thought!

I picked up the "Spain" version of the language training materials. Hopefully it will help in my studies.

Cheers

Marite Spruth

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Felix

Yes, that was an interesting debate, I CAN also give a link with excellent exercises www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/cool and http://spanish.about.com - Varieties of Spanish.
Good luck

Marite

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration