I have a question Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » I have a question « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hear techonolgy is cheap in Argentina is this true?

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 268

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

no

Practically all tec goods are imported and taxed heavily

TV's, computers, cd, dvd, and vhs players, hardware, cameras, and even refrigerators are expensives,

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I dunno I heard differently

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 269

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From who

Argentina manufactures no electronic products that I know of.
And their import tarriffs are very high.
There is not a lot of competition.
There is no reason for tec goods to be cheap there.

Every thing I have ever looked for in comparison has been cheaper in the US. I tend to buy gifts here and take them to my friends there. I do not want to buy something here that is cheaper there. So when I go to Buenos Aiers I check the stores to see what is less expensive. Pirated dvds aside, I find the things I listed cheaper in the US.
I did buy a big screen tv and a refrigerator there that was more expensive but those items are a bit hard to fit into even checked luggage.

Find a tec product in Argentina and get me the price and I will beat it here.

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From what i heard Regrigiators Cars and a bunch of other goods are manufactured in Argentina...

I just looked up on the CIA world fact book and in addition to what I said this also appear: food processing, motor vehicles, consumer durables, textiles, chemicals and petrochemicals, printing, metallurgy, steel

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 270

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know a couple of managers who work at the Puegot assembly plant in Buenos Aires. I think they assemble Chevy pickups in Ar also. I don't think Ar has its own auto brands. You asked about electronics being cheaper there. Not cars. The cars are expensive also. I priced a new chevy blazer a couple of years ago and it was more expensive than I could have bought one in the US.
I do not know anything about refrigerators being built there, maybe they are. I know that I bought a refrigerator at the Super Walmart in Bahia Blanca for around $100 US more than I could have bought a similiar one in the States. It was made in Germany.
Go to an Argentine store and check the prices.
This year I have traveled to Argentina three times.
The last time I was there I checked Nextel phones, I can get the phones for less in the States but the service plan I was looking for was about the same if not a little less.

what is the saying that goes something like been there, done that, seen it.

Now if you want a nice delicious juicy steak in a very nice restaurant, go to Argentina, it is about 1/3rd the cost.

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just looked for TVs Refrigators etc. etc. and there either a little more expensive or about the same as in the US

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 271

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where did you look Gustavo.

On Sunday evening I was in a Super Walmart in Houston Texas. While there they made an announcement over the PA system that at midnight they would start selling 500 lap top pc's for $99 at the lay away counter and to get in line now. I am sure it was a very basic laptop but still, $99 is a pretty good price.

I have bought several $29 dvd players (I passed on the $24 ones) and given them as gifts and they play as efficiently as other more expensive ones.

It is hard to understand why you think a country with such high tarriffs, little if any competition, relatively small markets, and very little if any manufacturing would be a good place to buy products made in China, South Korea and Japan considering the distance they have to be shipped with a fraction of the shipping volumn of that of the county thah has the highest volumn market in the world.

Where did you see the "TV's, refrigerators, etc. etc." that were a little more expensive or about the same price.

This is not a national pride thing, it is reality. I buy my electronics that I want to use in Argentina in the US that are small enough to carry with me on a plane. The reason is they are less expensive.

I am currently looking at a Minolta 6 megapixle zoom lens. Do me a favor and find me one in Argentina for a good price por favor.

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well i know Argentina does make a lot of things.... Cant really say it doesnt. Here ill show you two things I found first off A camera http://www.masoportunidades.clarin.com/jsp/fichaAv isos/fichanavegar.jsp?av_id=2460482

So 319.99 ARS divide that by 3.10 that comes out to 103.22 USD. Now if that inst cheap for an 8!Megapixel Camera then I dunno what is. That is eqaul if not cheaper then here ever...

Now Compare to the US Price for a * MegaPixel camera....
http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200060+4294966514&Ne=303738&Cn=Electronics_Digital_Photography_Digital_Cameras

another thing....

http://www.masoportunidades.clarin.com/jsp/fichaAv isos/fichanavegar.jsp?av_id=2459406

A Wireless Mouse for 11.99 ARS again divide by 3.10 comes out to...3.87 USD! For a Wireless Mouse! That is cheaper deff. then the US. So to say EVERYTHING in terms of techonology is not as cheap is to incorrect.

Compare to the Prices of buying it in the US http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=0&Ntt=Wireless%20Mouse&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=Wireless%20Mouse&Dx=mode%20matchall

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 272

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I couldn't find the wireless mouse you are taking about.

I found an 8 MP Nikon on the site you gave for $499 US but couldn't find the one you are talking about.

CompUSA is a fairly expensive place to buy computers or cameras.

What is the brand of the camera?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration