Finding a job and work related issues Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Finding a job and work related issues « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We can discuss this here...

Alexander Kapur
Username: Alex_k

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Everyone:

I've been tracking the particpation and comments on this message board, and I am impressed with everyone's insight and willingness to help those with interest in Argentina. With that in mind, I am reaching out to the members of this board for some advice.

I'm a young professional currently living in Washington, D.C.. My background is in Crisis/Risk Management and Public Relations at various consultancies here in the States (having advised Fortune 500 companies). I have worked in some of the world's most difficult regions on highly sensitive assignments. I speak Spanish at an intermediate/advanced level (and am continuing to improve through private instruction). I graduated from an Ivy League School with a BA in 2003 in Communications and Commerce.

I am VERY interested in applying my experience and education to work and live in Argentina for a couple of years before pursuing a graduate program in the United States or Europe. I've been leveraging personal contacts as much as possible, but also wanted to solicit the opinion of this online community.

I've just started searching for work in Argentina and also advice on moving there. My questions to this board are the following:

-Is it best to try to find work from here in the States for a position in Argentina or would it be better to move there first, and then look for work on the ground in Argentina? I am finding it difficult to look for work from here?

-Would it be possible to move there without work and sustain myself for a couple of months with a modest savings ($15k or so) while looking for work?

-Do many young professionals from the Unites States work and live in Argentina?

-What are some of the major industries in Argentina where educated, young, energetic professionals are needed?

Just wanted to see what everyone might offer to advice to someone looking for an exciting relocation experience in Argentina.

Thanks, in advance for any and all advice.

-Alex

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My advise would be to try and get a job for a US company and get stationed in Argentina. Even if you are making an entry level salary (by US standards) you will be able to live comfortably in Argentina. Making a US salary and being paid in dollars, is the way to go. While things are getting better there are many well educated, experienced Argentines who are not working in their chosen field. They are working at just about anything they can. You would be compteting with them for jobs and there are always the visa issues to consider. For 15k you could live very modestly for a year or more. Key word. Modestly. Something Americans aren't too good at. You would be amazed at how simply yet comfortably an Argentine can live on. My sister in law lives in Cordoba and makes about 1200-1400 pesos a month and has an apartment, eats in a lot, but also does a few things about town. I have seen more Americans in Argentina over the past few years. Most are tourist, students, people who again have an independent source of funds outside of the US. The embassy has some young Americans working there. Ford has a big presence in the country though the timing is bad as Ford is struggling. Some multinational insurers are there as well as some US Banks (BankBoston for example). I am looking for some opportunities. I plan to retire there in 5 years. I will have a US pension and US Social Security so I am in good shape. I was thinking I would work for an upscale hotel, or perhaps something travel related. Perhaps on my own. I go to Argentina once or twice a year and I am married to a beautiful Argentine woman. I read everything I can get my hands on about the country and I participate in several forums. I am one Trip Advisor expert for BA. Good luck Alex. I will think about your question some more and ask some sources in Argentina what they think.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alex, welcome!

Bill's advice is great.

Is your work somewhat related to politics (or can be)? If so, you may want to explore small boutiques or comparatively similar consultancies as the ones you participate in now in the US. There are many high flying 'foundations' that may be a good fit for you, like 'Fundacion Mediterraneo' and others, mostly managed and run by economists. I think "cold calling" may not work in these cases so mailing a resume or just showing up will not work. To access work at this level -regardless of its pay which may disappoint you- it is more who you know than anything else.

If you decide to stretch the 15k to 1 year -I agree with Bill, it can happen if you plan your expenses carefully and are comfortable with limited funds- you could go to meetings, attend conferences and such and build your needed local contacts. At that time, one referral may bring another one and another one and you may come across the right opportunity.

Bill Howard
Username: Veritas01

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a couple of thoughts on the way into work. I would take a shot at calling the American Embassy in Buenos Aires. I had a health issue a couple of years ago and I called and was connected to a young American who was very friendly and who gave me the straight story on where to go if I took sick, where not to go, and he also added some general advice on BA. If you can reach someone like that in the consular office or perhaps we have a business development officer he can tell you right off the hop what your chances are and which businesses are best. Of course he might be officious and put you off. Worth a shot.

There is also a growing number of customer service providers in Argentina. My sister in law works for one in Cordoba. I have seen billboards for companies in BA. At the very least you could be a customer service rep. talking to obnoxious Americans about their cell phones, etc. At the best...you might become a trainer or supervisor in one of those centers handling tricky calls. Also worth a shot.

Tourism as I mentioned is hot right now and more and more Americans are pouring in for vacations. The right hotel will surely have a need for English speaking desk staff. Perhaps an assistant conceriege position at a good hotel once you learn BA. Tips and salary would keep you going. Even a good restaurant. An english speaking waiter who knows the menu would be a real asset to places that cater to tourists. Of course the other waiters might resent you since they LOVE americans and their tips.

Bottom line though is your absolutely best bet is to get a job for a US company and be relocated to BA and paid at US rates with US dollars. Not easy but doable. Look for some recruiters and employment agencies that specialize in international placements. Otherwise work in the US for the next 35-40 years and retire to Argentina when you finish your career. That is my plan.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 175

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Bill
I agree with you on the job situation in Ar.
but
Is it the "obnoxious Americans" that the waiters in Argentina "LOVE ..... and their tips." Or are there some Americans who are not obnoxious. Just wondering.

I have called about my cell phone service before and expected to be given good customer service because I pay for it. I try not to be rude even though I know the person I am talking to has taken an American's job. It is not their fault.

I have a friend who's wife works for one of those cell phone customer service outsourced companies in Buenos Aires. She is paid 600 pesos a month and can make as much as 1100 if she maxes her bonuses. Oh wow. Do you think the cell phone bills went down after the jobs were outsourced. That would be a laugh if they had.

My advice, buy a hotel or invest in other real estate in Argentina. How about a winery in Mendoza or a cattle ranch in Buenos Aires provincia.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration