Argentina vs. Colombia Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Argentina vs. Colombia « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Helander
Username: Swede

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there, great forum you got here Roberto, so happy that i found it! Im a swede that have been living in Colombia for a couple of months, and my plans are to move to south america with my wife and start a business. We are choosing between Argentina and Colombia, but before we make the final decision, we would like to know first of all which of the two countries is cheapest, to live - buy house and taxes etc? And second, easiest to start a company as a foreign person?

Thanks and Best Regards
Patrick

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By far Argentina... Electronics here are cheaper and so is gas, Just to name a few. Argentina is also holds a much more higher Standard of living then Colombia.

Thanks

Gustavo

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 163

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think I would consider what my life is worth.
Let's see, Colombia, drugs, rebel militias, probably the most dangerous country in the Western hemisphere.
I think Argentina is the "cheapest"

Eric Northam
Username: Enortham

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I spent three months in Colombia and about six months in Argentina. The two countries are vastly different. I stayed in Bogota, Medellin, and Cartagena in Colombia. Out of all the places I've visited in Latin America I found the Colombians to be the happiest and friendliest and the Portenos (not Argentineans as a whole) to be the least. The Portenos aren't that bad but they just don't stand out in the friendly or happy area in Latin America.

The costs in Colombia are much more divided. If you want to live with a nice standard of living it's going to cost you more than Argentina but if you're on a budget you can find lower cost food and housing in Colombia but they won't be up to western standards. Unskilled labor is also much cheaper than Buenos Aires (Don't know about the rest of Argentina). I also felt that, just as in most cities in the world, the good parts were safe and you can get by easily if you just use common sense.

Having said all that I recently decided to start an IT business in Buenos Aires over Colombia. In general the population as a whole is very well educated and my clients won't have a negative stereotype as soon as they hear where my business is. Other than fruit, the food is much better in Argentina. The standard of living is also higher and Buenos Aires is a beautiful city with wonderful parks and many things to do in the city. Buenos Aires also has the vibrancy, spirit, and life that only a few cities in the world have.

I'm guessing overall the costs won't be that different but if you need unskilled labor you might want to look into Colombia whereas if you need imported goods such as electronics Argentina may save you more. Also exporting is probably easier from Argentina.

Best of luck in your business and decision!

Eric

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 904
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That was a nice, informative summary Eric. Thank you.

My only experience with Colombia -which was a happy one- was meeting people from the coast, most of which told me they were *different* than the people from other parts of Colombia... meaning nicer. I specially liked their music -ballenato- and their simple, humble demeanor. But planning to do business in a location may require more than this.

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Overall cost in Living in Colombia will be a lot more expensive then Argentina. That and as said above I vaule my safty more then "how cheap" it is to live in Colombia. With all the government problems and drug traffiking it is a very clear why Colombia is the most Dangerous country to live in the Western Hemoshpere.

Take Care

Gustavo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration