Fishing in Buenos Aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Outdoor Activities » Fishing in Buenos Aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am all ears.

Santiago Bengolea
Username: Santiagov

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fishing in BA is posible and may be lots of fun.The key spots regarding "where to go" if in BA are:

A) Delta Islands and River Plate.

B) Lagoons; many good lagoons relatively close to BA.

A) There are roughly two seasons with specific species and other two that are somehow changing ones .

Summer species (from December till the end of march) include: Bogas, Tarariras, a few small sized Dorados, Palometas (similar to piranhas), 4 species of Cat fish, Carpas ( medium sized and huge ones up to 30 pounds/ 10 Kgs.), Surubí(small ones or cachorros), Sábalos, a few Rays and Tortoises, eals or Morenas, Paties, Armados that are somehow similar to Cat fish but prehistoric looking, Viejas del agua, "tons" of Mojarritas that are good for bait and fun for kids. Very ocasionally or excepcionally other species may be hooked as a sturgeon (small ones), as some of them escaped from a breeder in Uruguay river. Pacu, a great and sportive fish thats almost extint in the area.guess i am forgetting a few ones..

Winter species ( May to August), the king of the fishes arrives to the River Plate estuary and some Delta rivers, the Pejerrey that arrives from the salty waters of the Atlantic to reproduce and leave with the first mild or hot days of September, in other words among other conditions for Pejerrey fishing is cold weather. Same as water with lots of oxigen , so when the river is flat with now waves , the chances for a good fishing day are bad .

April results on fishing will depend basically on temperatures both athmosferical and water ones, maybe more a summer species month or winter one. Many "Peje" fans will be trying to catch pejerrey and might get a bite from a Dorado that will escape of course as fishing " lines" are not prepared for the power of a Dorado that will also cut the nylon due to their sharp teeth.
So temperature is key regarding species same as from Sept. to November, where the first Bogas will appear announcing spring. Bogas are quite sportive to catch with light equipment ( being Salami among their prefered baits), and if with some luck, a catch of a medium sized one will be somehow a trophy for the pic. and lots of fun.

Will continue...

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is awesome information. Thanks!

You always hear about "pejerrey" (and merluza) in Buenos Aires but other than enjoying it in a meal I didn't know anything about them. Funny that you mention catfish. I lived for 6 years in catfish country in the US (Mississippi) and ate catfish (fried and grilled) like there was no tomorrow. It's delicious even though most of it is farm-raised. A few times we went to fish with some friends and caught a couple where I used to live, Oxford, MS. It took hours, a lot of patience and a few tricks. I never ate any "bagre" in Argentina though... so good.

Santiago Bengolea

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto : Both Pejerrey and the very well known Merluza are excellent choices for "fish eaters", in many countries as Japan, Merluza is luxurious . Not to speak of Merluza Negra thatīs only fished in deep sea waters and only catched by hook... incredible taste and very expensive both at restaurants and supermarkets.
Merluza doesnīt enter the river plate estuary but Corvinas do, and in Paraguay there are fresh water Corvinas, but they donīt reach our waters in BA. Pejerrey is among the most tasty fishes in town, prepared as ceviche with some "dill" is absolutely "heaven".
Catfish is not really appreciated by Porteņos, the "Yellow" one is very much liked in Corrientes province.
I had a couple of days ago in my boat, a fisherman from Philadelphia( USA) that caught maybe 15 or more small to medium sized cat fish, Bogas,and Paties in a few hours of fishing, enjoying a lot the Mojarritas that are so voracious and used for bait.
We yet donīt have farm raised cat fish but we do have Pacu farm raised and Ptilapia.( regarding fresh water species)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am glad you are displaying vast knowledge of how/where/what/when to fish in BA. I now know who am I going to recommend next time I am asked about fishing down there...

By the way, do you know of any great place where to eat Merluza? For now, my favorite one is a chilean restaurant called "Los Chilenos" on Suipacha st and M.T.de Alvear in the Retiro area... That and their "matambrito".

Santiago Bengolea

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for your comments. Just a fan on fishing.
Los Chilenos is a good restaurant (better is seafood in Chile !),my top of mind for fish and seafood restaurants in BA is Oviedo in Beruti St. and Anchorena.Upscaled, classic, expensive ( for locals) and with one key aspect, they donīt freeze fish. I have been at Oviedo a few days ago, and donīt remember seeing Merluza in their menu, but had great Merluza negra in other opportunities in this restaurant. Last time had spider-crab ravioli (excellent).

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Uh... have to try that one!

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone know what kind of fishing there is along the Atlantic coast line. The costs of chartering a boat for a morning or day trip?

Hasta Luego
Tom

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom , the atlantic coastline is actually quite large. Do you know where specifically? There is a lot of fishing in and nearby Buenos Aires outskirts and many fishermen enjoy lakes too.

Areas around Bahia de Samborombon, which extends about 180 km along the coastline, are ideal for fishing 'corvina negra and rubia', 'lisas' during summers and 'pejerreyes' during winter. This place is protected by the government because it is rich in natural resources, nonetheless, it is a favorite for fishermen. But if you are considering boat fishing, then I would suggest that you look into Mar del Plata. Argentines are fond of fishing from the shore -actually from the 'muelle'- and those who do boats for sure visit Mar del Plata. There is a time of the year -September and October- when packs of 'anchoitas' approach the region and bigger fishes go after them. This extends all the way to the summer months when you can fish a great variety of species (salmons, lenguados, pejerreyes, chernias, cazones, tiburones, corvinas, anchovies, peces palo, palometas...)

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 37

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto
Thats the information I was looking for. If things go according to plan I fairly soon will be deep sea fishing in that beauriful blue water which along with scuba diving is my favorite water sports.

Do you have any idea what a charter fishing boat costs for a 1/2 day or do they do whole days in Mar del Plata? In Florida much of the time you get a half day for somewhere around $3 to $6 hundred US.

Again thanks

Hasta luego
Tom

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I personally don't know.

Contact these guys in Mar del Plata. Manolo Excursiones, Tel: 4639-2740

And these other guys for all sorts of fishing along the coastline.

And...
Sandokan (Mar del Plata)
Tel: + 223 472-6314 Cel: + (011)15-49867694

(Message edited by admin on June 16, 2006)

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto

I will do it for sure.

Hasta Luego
Tom

Ray Thompson
Username: Raystravel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've done a little research about fishing in the BA area and I've decided to visit the delta area which is not too far from where I'm staying and if I decide not to stay overnight in the area, I could still be back at the hotel in the evening. But there is one tour operator which everyone speaks of. He is Barba tours. I read his whole itinerary and it sounds nice but he doesn't do fishing primarily and his cost seems to be a little costly, well over $400.00 US for 2 people. I don't believe I got the rate for one person. He starts mid morning and as a fisherman, to catch fish, you start early in the morning. Is he the only good tour operator in the area? Ray Thompson

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 894
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ray, Santiago -who owns such company- is a poster here. I don't know whether he is active or not. A while ago he used to post more in other forums and then vanished. Perhaps, he reads this and comments on what he offers... It is my understanding that his is a complete tour package with meals and history and not just fishing. His service also seems very personalized. That is as much as I can say.

As for fishing, I am not really an expert on the subject but you may be after a different experience, one that only deals with fishing and none of the rest. The links in the other thread we had are all I could find.

Guido
Username: Guidobettinelli

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ray:

A friend of mine for 50U$ can take you on a tour all long the Rio de la Plata Coast, this tour includes a little introduction on Sailing, you can eat a "picada" with wine and you will get a little history about Rio de la plata.
IF you are interested just email me one advantage is that you can fish on Open River, not in delta that is fill of islands.

guidobettinelli@fibertel.com.ar

Thank you

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 293

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That sounds like a good deal.
Next time I am down there I will give it a try.

Thanks Guido

By the way have you ever seen the movie with Tom Cruise when he was very young, he was in high school and became a pimp, there was a famous dance scene in it, your name reminds me of the movie. The name of the movie escapes me at the moment

Guido
Username: Guidobettinelli

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi tom!:

Whatever you need i'll be very glad to help you just email me
guidobettinelli@fibertel.com.ar

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 294

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The $400 US rate is not unreasonable depending on the size of the boat and what you are fishing for. At this rate I would assume it would be a rather large fishing boat with cabin, fairly good amenities, and be a deep sea fishing trip going after large fish. One would pay that kind of money plus in the US for such a trip.

The tourist business dealing with outfitters for services such as this, fishing or hunting, adventure trips etc. in Argentina are ususally based on the dollar and developed world prices, not necessarily cheap.

Take a look at my web site
http://www.huntingargentina.4t.com
for some comparisons of hunting trips. You can hunt for certain deer cheaper here in the US than you can there but the accomodations, guides, amenities and trophy here will not touch what you get there. The difference is like playing Daniel Boone roughing it vs Donald Trump luxury hunt.

The fishing price you speak of, if this were a small boat running the coast line for crappie that price would be a bit much I humbly submit.

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 295

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Guido

Right now I am on Christmas vacation from a project in Texas that I origionally thought would be finished about now. As it seems, if we are done by June of next year I will be happy what with me having to break for Super Bowl XLI commitments and my daughter having a second child in April which combined will not allow me to devote full time continuously to it.

This will be the longest period I have not visited the land of the Tango since I first went there in 03.

I miss my friends, the food, the relaxation and the beautiful senoritas. I am able to get the excellent wine at my local liquor store even thought at imported prices.

Ray Thompson
Username: Raystravel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I beg to differ Tom. I go to Puerto Vallarta Mexico on a regular basis and fish for Mahi Mahi and tuna from early in the morning to late afternoon and catch loads of fish! Food and drinks are included and it only cost $300US on a 60foot boat by myself! I'm not going on a sea trip or on the bay I'm going on a river!!! And again Barba's trip's are only on the river and don't only specialize on fishing! There mostly tours. Also he has other passengers who he includes on his tours! I'm not going by myself!
Ray Thompson

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 296

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THat is not a bad price Ray, especially if you are catching fish which is the object of course.

My fishing trips here in the US go out of the Keys, Boca Grande or the east coast of Floirda. They tend to be on the pricey side.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration