Buying horses / ranch volunteering Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Outdoor Activities » Buying horses / ranch volunteering « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

murray campbell
Username: Spowler

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello...hoping for some comments from experienced horse-folk down in Argentina.

I grew up riding on a working cattle ranch in western Canada, and have lots of wilderness experience. I want to spend 3 or 4 months in Argentina starting in late November or so.

I can't even begin to afford what tourists pay at dude ranches / estancia's down there.

I would love to volunteer on a working ranch...hard work (cattle, fencing, etc.) is no problem but I would also like to be able to learn something and see lots of saddle-time. Some of the programs I've found online seem more geared to people with no experience and there might not be so much opportunity to ride..?

Alternately, I would also be interested in buying a few horses and some tack while I am down there and selling them when I leave...I would like to take a long, long ride through the country, sleeping out in the open is fine with me...There are still places in Canada where you can pull that sort of thing off, but I'm not sure what the logistics of that would be down in Argentina ( especially regarding public and private lands / water / fences / grazing and feed etc..) and would be very happy to get any feedback from experienced riders down there.

thanks so much!

Living in Patagonia
Username: Soulskier

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should contact Carol Jones at http://caroljones.com.ar/. Her Grandfather is Jarrod Jones, the first gringo settler in Patagonia. She is a really sweet lady and speaks perfect English. Maybe she could help or at least point you in the right direction. Suerte!

David Cummings
Username: Tierraman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You could contact me. I own Estancia La Margarita www.estancialamargarita.com . We are open to tourists and our main attraction is that we offer excellent horse riding to guest. Maybe we could come to a deal where you can ride out with my guests and help on the estancia when we are empty in return for board and lodgings - do you speak Spanish.
info@estancialamargarita
Nothing guranteed but its a thought

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration