Fly Fishing Patagonia Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Outdoor Activities » Fly Fishing Patagonia « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Salem Esber
Username: Sesber

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi. I am heading to Patagonia - specifically the region from Bariloche to just south of Esquel - this March and plan to do some fly fishing. I am trying to guide my own trip to save money and for the adventure and learning that comes with it, but I am struggling to find information about how to go it alone down there. It seems like there is a lot of private water and expensive guides. To be honest, I am a little intimidated.

If anyone can offer any advice on how to plan your own trip, or where would be the best place to fish this way, I would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks,

Sesber
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Salem, we are familiar with this subject and have contracted fishing guides in Rio Corcovado and Trevelin before. Yes, some of the nicest streams are in private areas which require paid access. Very likely, you will need a guide for this which as you stated is expensive.

If you have experience and time, perhaps you can find places to fish in many of the public and open areas. You do not have to visit the private lodges. Hiring a guide will also help if you intend to do other styles that may require equipment. The reason guides are expensive it's because they provide 7x24 assistance, lodging and meals. Many times, they cook for their clients and spend the night with them. It is not just taking fishermen to interesting places but living the experience together.

What you could do is contract one guide for the day and try to learn as much about the area with him as possible. Then, go on your own. These guides are local, have been fly fishing for decades and are hospitable and friendly. They will quickly familiarize you with permits, local regulations and important information. I can't see them not sharing useful advice if you let them know that you need to save money. Most of the fishermen who traveled with us were highly experienced. In spite of this, they wanted a guide because they valued someone with local knowledge.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration