Fly Fishing in Mendoza Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Outdoor Activities » Fly Fishing in Mendoza « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am going to be at the lake LOS REYUNOS in San Rafael for 8 days . I am trying to find out if I can hire a guide to help me learn how to fly fish somewhere near there.

I am also trying to find out what the story is on any rivers near by or what kind of fishing can be done on the lake itself. Are there largemouth bass etc?

I am arriving down there with my wife’s family on the dates of 1-1-05 to 1-9-05. Any information that you may have would be very helpful.
Thanks. sjk

(Message edited by admin on December 29, 2004)

Roberto (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, you can certainly hire a guide once you get there. Your best bet will be to ask at the frontdesk in your place of stay. Following, there is some information regarding fly fishing in Mendoza.

One of the most interesting spots in Mendoza for this kind of fishing is 'Valle hermoso'. It is close to Las Lenas ski resort, pass Portezuelo. In the valley, there are 3 main rivers which connect forming most streams. Rio Cobre, Rio Tordillo and Rio Grande, the latter coming into existence from the union of the former two.

Fishing is very varied at the valley. There are numerous meanders, riffles, pocket waters, short rapids as well as rainbow trouts, brown trouts and fontinalis. Thus, you might be able to use different equipement as well, from light to heavy, including float tube at the lake. I do not think you will get any kind of bass in this area. More likely, you will find rainbows in rapid streams, browns in slow streams and fontinalis in almost still waters. Most streams are loaded with stoneflies and big strong trout. It is common to catch two- to four-pound fish in rivers that snake beneath towering peaks. This is wilderness fishing at its best.

Valle hermoso is not that far from San Rafael perhaps an hour and a half drive. Closer to San Rafael check on Rio Tigre, a beautiful tailwater surrounded by desert landscape with the Andes in the background and on Rio Atuel, the local rivers. You should be able to find a local guide for perhaps $300 for an entire fly fishing day excursion. I do not have any names available and in our case, we usually do fishing bookings well in advance. Hope this helps.

Scott
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration