Learn Spanish- Fun, different and bud... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Tours and Attractions » Learn Spanish- Fun, different and budget! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paula
Username: Andando

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Espanol Andando is a new concept on learning Spanish: discover the city learning Spanish and learn Spanish discovering the city.

Its an informal and relaxed group course that allows you to learn Spanish in its own environment, in a 100% practical way!

Espanol Andando Its an introduction to the Spanish language and Latin American Culture.

Through activities and materials that are specially designed, the teacher coordinates the classes in different spots: outdoor lessons, classes in restaurants, classes in cafes, shops. Espa�ol Andando is not a school, with Espa�ol Andando the school is Buenos Aires.

At Espanol Andando you learn Spanish thru every day life experiences, walking down a street, visiting shops, trying typical meals or having a coffee at the most traditional cafs in the city. Its a communicative approach that integrates oral and written learning.

Espanol Andando is designed for travellers, so we made sure that trough the four sessions you learn the basics of survival Spanish.

Theres grammar and vocabulary too, but not as an abstract activity, but an interactive and practical one, surrounded by speaking situations. By learning Spanish we are actually doing things with words. Learning and discussing historical, social and cultural issues. It's a breakfast, a tea or dinner party to get to know each other, learning and exchanging ideas in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

The combination of these three learning spaces shape a dynamic and comprehensive learning process, that being focused on cultural and friendly exchange, turns information into experience.

Remember, Espanol Andando is mainly a practical course; It�s all about the experience of speaking Spanish.

Courses start every Monday. Check profile for more information.

(Message edited by admin on July 12, 2006)

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is no such thing as "Latin American culture" This is really general. I suggest you change it. You mean European culture if you are talking about Argentina.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 68

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree Gustavo, for what its worth

Hasta Luego
Tom

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

dear members: I think what Paula meant is : "Espanol Andando Its an introduction to the Spanish language and Latin American Culture." which may be readed also as "the doorways to the latin american culture" since speaking spanish you'll be able to speak the native language of any latin-american country but Brazil and the guyanas (including Surinam). Well and Haiti, and some caribbean islands.
Paula is a great value, she is a very nice lady and full of life and will to learn and teach, and I think that is very important for a teacher!

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah I see your point. Maybe she should have been more clear though.

Take care
Gustavo

paula

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey guys!
Thanks for all the feedback!
Gustavo, I understand what you saying but the fact that Latin American Culture has been deeply influenced by European Culture doesn't take away the fact that Latin America has a Culture of its own.
There are little things in our everyday life that make our Culture unique and different, even if they were inspired or influenced by other Cultures.
That's what I mean by saying "Latin American Culture".
As a matter of fact, there's a very interesting conference taking place right now that you can check at http://www.cultura.gov.ar/programas/cult_arg_hoy_2 /index.htm.
Thanks again for all your feedback!

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 69

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Paula..
I think what Gustavo meant was that Argentina does not have a typical "Latin American Culture"

The ancestry of the population of Argentina's is 97% European with the majority being Italian, not Spanish. Even though Latin is the language of ancient Rome and until recently the Catholic Chuch, so called Latin culture in the new world seems to have a more Spanish, African and native American influence.
Only 3% of Argentineans trace their ancestry back to any group other than European. African ancestry is almost non existant and there is only a small amount of the native American influence esepecially considering the statistics.

Argentina Ethnic groups:
white (mostly Spanish and Italian) 97%, mestizo (mixed white and Amerindian ancestry), Amerindian, or other non-white groups 3%

Columbia Ethnic groups:
mestizo 58%, white 20%, mulatto 14%, black 4%, mixed black-Amerindian 3%, Amerindian 1%

Mexico Ethnic groups:
mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%
source: http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos /ar.html

I have been told by more than one of my Argentine friends that an Argentinean is an "Italian who speaks Spanish, dresses like the English and thinks they are French."

It was Sheakespeare who said a rose by any other name smells the same. Here I think we are talking about a rose and carnation. You can call both a flower but they are different flowers.

And with that I will add that I have reread the thread and no where does anyone say you are not a nice person.

Hasta Luego
Tom

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excatally Tom Woodson, I couldn't have said it any better. It is simply better to say "Argentina has a European culture or Mexico has a Mestizo Culture." I am glad you got my point Tom Woodson. There is no uniformally "Latin American Culture" just like there is no Uniformally "Northern American Culture" it is only used to describe people who speak the same types of languages.

paula

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey! I never thought anyone was saying I wasn't a nice girl! I don't even feel offended by the comments, I just find them unnecessary!

Are we really going to discuss the use of the term "Latin American Culture" in a travel forum??

Thanks for all the facts Tom, I am familiar with all of them and maybe you should just think more globally. For instance, I know for a fact that each Asian country have their own aspects that shape their Culture, still if I say "Asian culture" you can pretty much get an idea in your head of what I'm talking about. There are common grounds in all of them.

It's not about generalizing (believe me, I feel so strong about constantly marking differences between one and other Latin American cultures and even sick sometimes of foreigners thinking that we all dance salsa and eat burritos everywhere in Latin America!) but to maybe find common grounds. That's all.

All I say in my description is "Its an introduction to the Spanish language and Latin American Culture"

"INTRODUCTION"

I would never say that the Argentinean Culture is the only representative of the Latin American Culture. Not at all. It's just a part of it.

Said that, I totally agree with the influence of European Culture in Argentina, it is indeed one of the many facts that shape our Culture, and believe me thru my work I constantly do my best to teach and educate about this kind of facts.

Anyways, thanks again for your concern and hopefully, someday, when we stop thinking that we are all "Italians who speaks Spanish, dress like the English and think we are French." we will finally be able to integrate better to what it is indeed a beautiful and diverse Latin American continent with a super rich Culture to share!

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 75

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Paula
I did not mean to upset you.
I know Argentina from what I see, read and hear. It seems that Argentineans are their own worst critics.
Several Argentineans have told me the refernce to the Italians speaking Spanish thing.
On one occasion I was leaving Buenos Aires to fly back to the states when a security officer at the airport if I had enjoyed my visit. I told him i had very much. He then told me the only thing worng with Argentina was the people. For once in my life I was speachless.
I don't make this stuff up.
I personally think the people are among the friendlest anywehere. They tend to go out of their way to be helpful.
I would like to take an some Argentine Spanish lessons when I get the time.

Hasta luego
Tom

paula

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

no worries! You didn't upset me at all!

I just found it funny that such a big deal was made from a simple sentence at a Spanish course announcement!

I only teach Spanish and do my best at showing my city...never meant to include any kind of discussion about the REAL origin of my Culture! Facts are facts, nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with having such a diverse and creative Culture either!

I love my city, country and culture and I don't think there's anything wrong with our people...you just need to go along with some silly stuff they sometimes say! ;)

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah I dont think there is anything wrong with Argentines, that is in Fact very silly for me to hear. I respect what they have to say and almost always have good reason for what they say... I know its just important that people know this Paula that was all I was trying to say not to mislead other people... Yeah I get that feeling from other that "latin Americans" dance salsa and all that stuff and its just like comon...Also tom Woodson I am pretty sure its "Argentines Speak Spanish, eat Italian food, dress like a Frechman, and think like the English." haha... Also I wouldnt like it if Argentines "intergrated" I think they should stay the same. It just makes Latin America a more diverse place who wants to be all the same.... so in a way your contridicing your self ... Latin America is already a diverse place....

florencia
Username: Flopy26

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey Paula:
I am agree with you,but it is certain that in Argentina there are a lot of mestizos (spanish and Italians)but our culture is very interesting.
I am Argentina and I love my city and I like your description and it seems well to me that you like to teach the Latin culture american and the Spanish language.
cheers!

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Florencia, you don't really make too much sense...

paula

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyways...Gustavo...I think we are just going in circles here...I never said that we didn't have a strong European background! It's just a description for a Spanish course, I really don't see the need of adding that in it!

Espanol Andando is just a Spanish course around the city of BA, which allows you to start understanding the culture of people that lives in the city and probably starts giving you an idea of the rich diversity of Latin America.

That's all.

I guess that any further comments about it should maybe be done after taking the course if anything!! :-)

PS: Thanks for your comments Florencia!

florencia

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paula:

you are welcome,I understood your post.you learn spanish.other people did not undertsand.
I have good references about you paula!

cheers!

florencia

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gustavo:

this forum is for debating subjtets does not to offend the people.ok?

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well i am sorry if I offended anyone I just felt a bit offended by the statement becuase of reason Paula said above so I had to say something again I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else I just did not understand what you were trying to say it didn't make much sense to me....

paula

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You felt offended because on my course description I implied that the Argentinean Culture is part of the Latin American Culture?

Anyways...

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, but on top of that you said Argentina should change "Anyways, thanks again for your concern and hopefully, someday, when we stop thinking that we are all "Italians who speaks Spanish, dress like the English and think we are French." we will finally be able to integrate better to what it is indeed a beautiful and diverse Latin American continent with a super rich Culture to share!" Argentina shouldn't "intergrate why should we have to its what makes latin america a diverse place right? thats what got me upset in addition, also that I misunderstood you.

paula

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry mate, all I meant was that sometimes us argentines sound a bit arrogant went trying so hard to make the difference between us= European and other Latin American countries= aborigines. I think that's kinda silly, that's all!

No hard feelings Gustavo!

Case closed! :-)

florencia

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi gustavo:

my message was for Paula,it is interesting what she does.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paula wanted to promote her services and although self-promotions are frowned upon at the forum, I let the thread open in case anybody wanted to contribute to a potential interesting topic. There is really no use for personal judgements here. What visitors are looking for is information that will help them make decisions or acquire a better understanding of the place they wish to visit, Argentina.

And although they can gain useful insight into our psychology by reading personal discussions among participants, personal judgements of other members' opinions are, for the most part, irrelevant to the goal at hand. Truth is no opinion is more valid than any other one.

I invite all of you to try to state objectively what makes argentines non-latins or a different type of latins without the need to pass judgement on what anyone else thinks. Anyone is entitled to have an opinon and they are all ok.

I personally think that we have all forgotten that ALL latin americans DO have one thing in common. From the northern tip of Mexico to the furthest point in Patagonia, all who lived in the region had to fight the Pizarros of the old world, whether the onas in Tierra del Fuego, the Incas or Aztecs up north and even the criollos centuries later... So we can't really escape our roots. Oh, and by the way, French people are latin too!

If nobody is interested in the topic anymore I can just archive it for now...

(Message edited by admin on July 13, 2006)

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah no hard feelings and yes roberto can you delete this thread and repost what Paula said thanks

paula

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was indeed interesting to hear all the repercusions!

Thanks Roberto!

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with you Roberto that is true... however everyone in the Americas had to fight the Pizzaros and fight for there independence

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 81

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is a Pizzaro, por favor?

hasta luego
Tom

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Francisco Pizzaro was a Spaniard who conquered the Incan empire. We were refering to the "Pizzaros" as the Europeans who conquered the Americas.

Tom Woodson

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see. So a Pizzaro would include the British, Dutch, French, Portugese, and Spanish being those who conquered the Americas.

Hasta luego
Tom

Gustavo Flores

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yup, however we were using it in slang terms. Francisco Pizzaro was a conqueror we were using refering the conquerors as Pizzaros in a non proper way.

Max Kirsch
Username: Max

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been having a terrible time finding an honest spanish school in Buenos Aires. The one that was recommended was full, and the others I have tried (specifically A.I.E )are cash scams. Does anyone have advice about good, honest intensive classes in BA?

THanks. Max

Ken Kerr
Username: Doctork

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Max,
I plan to use Foro Argentino. They offer Spanish in intensive, immersion and hourly lessons. I am told they have excellent teachers. Their webpage is www.foroargentino.com. The sister of a fellow professor of mine is one of the owners.
Ken

paula capodistrias
Username: Andandoba

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Max! Indeed its not easy to find a honest reliable service in BA. I have written an article with some good options. Hope its not too late!
http://spanish-andando.blogspot.com/

Panagiotis Diamantopoulos
Username: Panos25

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi here,

I am from Greece and I want to learn Spanish.

How can I do this?

Is there somebody to help me?

mariana monten
Username: Dragonfly

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you actually living in Buenos Aires? what are your preferences? Spanish course in a school , private teacher, Paula's proposal, coffee chat?

Max Kirsch

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

paula, you don't really have a problem with the French, Spanish, or Italians do you?

paula

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WHY would I have a problem with the French, Italian or Spanish???? Do you even know what CULTURE is????
Culture is all the ways of life, arts, beliefs and institutions of a population that are passed down from generation to generation. Culture is "the way of life for an entire society."
Argentineans, just like Bolivians, or americans or watever HAVE their own Culture.
Now, what are the INFLUENCES of that Culture is another thing!
OF COURSE argentinean Culture was influences and shaped by a lot of aspects of the European Culture! That does not mean Argentineans don't have their own Culture or that you can't include Argentineans when you say "latin american culture"!

Marina
Username: Gaby

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
for the people who asked for a Spanish school reccomendation (Max, Panagiotis) I can recommend Verbum Spanish school.
I have studied there last November, My teacher was very good and the staff helpful. Their website is http://www.verbum.biz
Good luck!

(Message edited by admin on March 14, 2008)

Max Kirsch

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well ...it was a joke, but since u asked, yes I do know...I am an anthropologist, and no, a nation or entire population is very much NOT the same as a culture. A lot of nationals would have ur head for that statement. E Europe being only one small example.

paula

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't say nation= culture
I said a nation, or demographic group SHARES a common Culture.
Just like ALSO each nation has its own individuality.
As an antropologist Im sure you can find many similar aspects in the every day life of peruvians, colombians and argentineans that would allow you to describe a common Culture.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration