Help with Tango and Spanish lessons Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Tours and Attractions » Help with Tango and Spanish lessons « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frances Eddy
Username: Anica

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in Buenos Aires for 3 months in hopes of learning Tango and Spanish. I have identified some language schools who offer a few tango lessons as an activity. My main interest is tango so I'd like to spend most of my time doing that. I would like to learn the older style of tango in a friendly environment. I have had a few lessons so know it can be daunting. How does one go about finding the right teacher or school. I speak English and would rather not have the stress of not knowing what the tango teacher is saying. Where does one begin? If my age matters, I am an energetic 59 year old and this is my 60th birthday adventure. Can anyone there help?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Frances... a few points. I don't think age matters much for learning/dancing tango. As for the right tango teacher, that is very personal. Specially when considering tango dancing, which is such an emotional type of dance. I am not an expert in this area but I think you are more inclined to what we call 'milonga' as opposed to tango. Although similar, milonga has more of the 'average person's appeal' and the movements may not be as pronounced and theatrical as sometimes can be seen with tango.

If you will remain in Buenos Aires for such a long period I recommend that you also watch the Tango chanel in cable TV (24 hours dedicated to tango) where you will get great leads and tips. Oh... it's in spanish, so that may not work. Some milonga places also offer classes. You can try this. I posted tango lessons resources over that page.

If you prefer perfecting your techniques before going to milongas then contact erna at erna@travelsur.net and she will put you in touch with a great tango professor who speaks english. I really do not know how spread english is among the tango teaching community.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Frances,
Try this link for Deby Novitz, she's an American woman who moved here years ago and is heavily involved in Tango. She had a great article written about her back in april http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/my_weblog/200 6/04/americans_flock.html#trackback and she will probably be able to provide you with a different insight than Erna thus giving you more options.
Here is her blog link http://www.lavidacondeby.com/

Laura

Frances Eddy
Username: Anica

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Roberto and Laura. I have the idea of taking a Spanish immersion course for the first month and homestay to get a bit oriented then spend more time on tango lessons and milongas. Yes, it is milonga that I am mostly interested in. I read Deby's material in her blog link but received an unknown address response. Can you recommend a language school please and advise on what is a reasonable price to pay for lessons for both the language school and tango lessons? Thanks so much.

natalie
Username: Nat_feld

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When my parents visited me, they stayed at the Dandi Mansion (http://www.mansiondandiroyal.com), a beautiful tango themed hotel.

Upon my own arrival, I tried Espanol Andando (http://www.espanol-andando.com.ar), good fun and a great introduction to the Culture and language. Now I take clases at Verbum school (http://www.verbum.biz), good rates and great quaalityt!

Hope it helps!

Gustavo Flores
Username: Xgustax

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

WOW! This Hotel is Amazing! Thanks for the information! So beauitful!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration