Barracas. Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Tours and Attractions » Barracas. « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Kay
Username: Ximo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone think that Barracus is an up and coming area. I am looking for areas to start a business and live, I keep coming back to this area as one that might be on the move.
Would really like to know what you think.
Thanks.

David

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello David, I think Michael has given you some ideas about what to expect. Laura is correct in that the area may be suitable for some enterprises. I would not know at present but traditionally, Barracas has not been a favorite place for investors. It might be cheap but the danger is that it may remain that way... Unless something has changed I would consider other areas first for real estate investing. But if you plan to run a warehouse business then this could be a good spot. Why are you considering living here?

David Kay

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto, thank you very much for replying to my post. I have the impression that Barracus is quite becomming quite an ambiente artistico area, lots of interesting people.
Our ides is a cafe specializing in chocolate drinks during the day and maybe a wine bar at night. This type of clientel would be interested in a venture like this, I think.
What do you think, as we only have about 150000 to invest.
Thanks

javier Garcia Poquet
Username: Javiogarcia

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Barracas, is near la boca, and very near puerto Madero. I consider is true. A turist place in growth like Palermo and arroundings. A place growing in lofts, offices. If you get good prices not bad idea. Many persons I know have made hostels, bed & breakfast for turists. Today is said that offices are better invest than properties for living, you can get better rent.
Regards, Javier

javier Garcia Poquet
Username: Javiogarcia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I attached a photo of a house in Barracas, Street Quinquela Martin.
An example take me 5 mins. If you need help contact me.

Precio: U$S 60000
Tipo de Inmueble: Casa
Operación: Venta
Ambientes: 4 ambientes
Visitas: 2
Fecha de publicación: 21/02/2006

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> I have the impression that Barracas is becoming quite an "ambiente artistico" area...

Because it is cheap. So bohemian people move in. In the future, this may provide the area with a certain aurea, maybe even make it more picturesque. But if it becomes hot and prices go up, see the bohemian crowd rushing through the exit. Very likely, artists might not be able to afford a table of cheese with selected wine. Having said this, it might be a nice place to hang out or even live... but to make money out of it I am not so sure.

David Kay

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, what a great forum this is.
I lurk at several forums, but this one really does help people and offer good advice.
My thoughts are very much in line with Javier.
I love the type of building that he has posted.
For instance, on my budget of 150000, to buy a home similar to the one posted, then a business for a similar amount.
We have some money in reserve to live off for acouple of years and to convert the business until it becomes established, and 600 dollors a month income from England.
So, Argentina is the next chapter in our lives.
We had to move from Spain where we had a small business because of the local mafia, Kosovans and Russians, lucky to get away with our lives.We closed the business over night and fled, losing all the investment.
Any known problems in BA with this kind of mafia and businesses that you know of?
Kind regards.
David

David Kay

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A very good point by Roberto......as usual.
What I noticed in England was the bohemian crowd did move out, as rents and the prices of property became too high, but they were replaced by a crowd that could afford it and liked the small businesses that had settled there. It does sound like a chicken and egg situation where the people move there to enjoy the ambience of the local crowd, but then it is they who have to move away. But this did not happen over night, and one business attracted another and the competition really worked in harmony.
We do not think that we will be millionaires, and certainly do not want to live to work.
We really love the latin culture and have the time and energy to fulfill our dreams.
Regards.
David

Laura Zurro
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

David, what you might consider is area that both the bohemian and gay crowds flock to. Just as the boheme crowds move into these types of areas first, the gays do to as they don't have to worry about kids and school and they are fabulous at gentrifying an area. It's the gay guys that have fallen in love with San Telmo, and its them who fix up their apartments and buildings faster, and often better, than the rest of us :-) Choose a major city anywhere in the world, sniff out the hottest, trediest areas and you can bet that the gays were there first. Marais in Paris, South Beach in Miami, the Upper East Side in Miami (our old neighborhood and listed as one of the hottest zip codes in the U.S.), San Telmo, etc etc. I don't happen to know if Barracas has attracted any gays but if it has, then you should not be too worried about it. This is my opinion for what it's worth.

Laura

David Kay

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Laura, great advice.
You must have second sight, did not know that San Telmo attracted an unusual amount of gay people, and your right, we do look after the area and tend to attract what is seen as trendy businesses. Guess its also the dinky (double income no kiddies) element to an area.
I see San Telmo is quite close to Barracas, suppose there will be some overspill, so we will start to narrow the search a little now.
Your opinions are well worth reading, thanks

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bohemian quarters, investments and future in Barracas

Barracas is a charming southern neighborhood of Buenos Aires city. Limiting with La Boca and San Telmo, featuring low traditional houses and lots of green areas, and with easy accesses to downtown BA, Barracas is a gold mine waiting to be discovered.

Promoted as the next Argentine Soho, growing to become a hot artistic scenario and a top notch neighborhood, Barracas is the next hip place to be in.

As in any prediction, a vision of the future to be is a key factor. So are time and patience. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and no other great place has. Today, for those intrepid investors who are willing to check their hot plate first hand, Barracas is no more than a charming, tranquil neighborhood. Most of the main factories that were working in the area have relocated or shut for good. The majority of the local construction is low and cute, but has inevitable signs of the pass of time. It’s a place were the most percentage of the newcomers are bohemian writers, artists and young couples… Not yet a hot spot, but those with future vision see the potential and are ready to work on its behalf.

There’s a great architectonical patrimony in the area. Most of which are the former industrial buildings of early 20th century, featuring great Art Deco and Nouveau styles.

That’s selling like hot bread to wise and intrepid investors… Just to make my point, hereby some facts:

About two years ago, an investor group bought the old Bagley building. They will build 250 apartments of great style and comfort in the more than 50,000 sq meters the old cookie company used to have.

Central Park –a local TV and movie production company- bought the old Fabril Financiera and opened offices, studios and lofts. One of their clients was the worldly famous Perez Celiz, who decided to add a touch of his style to the block by decorating the front of the building with his own paintings.

Yet another food industry company Canale had an astonishing building in front of the immense and gorgeous Lezama Park and just a couple of blocks away from the worldly known Boca Juniors stadium, was sold recently to be recycled into a cultural and commercial building.

The artistic spirit is already in the heart of this traditional neighborhood as we pointed out a while ago in our piece on Lanin St, a gorgeous road decorated by the art and whit of the great painter Marino Santamaria.

A few steps away from the gorgeous street art we bump into Barracas Central, a top notch apartment-loft building of great style and dimensions, that’s not finished yet, but it has almost sold out. Among the proud owners there are at least 20 important foreign investors from the US, Canada and Europe, together with local celebrities whose names are kept from the paparazzi to preserve their privacy.

Barracas Central also hosts the annual event of local top quality design fair CASA FOA.

The new concept for Barracas is all over the board, luxury apartments with solarium, swimming pool, private garage for each apartment, gym, Spa, huge garden areas, private movie theatre and conference rooms, are just some of the commodities for the new neighbors. The units sell in the market for no less than $750 the sq meter (US Dollars), and there’s already a great movement.

So, these facts speak for themselves, the future is bright and great, things are moving at a fantastic rate and sooner than latter, Barracas will be the next Soho… Home to the Bourgeois and Bohemians from around the globe who choose this exotic yet sophisticated location as their home.

Bob Frassinetti

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration