In BA in Sept. Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Tours and Attractions » In BA in Sept. « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sean cahoon
Username: Sean123456

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in BA in Sept. I am looking for places to go shopping. Not expensive tourist traps, but places where I can get a good deal. I am looking for clothes and leather goods primarily.

Thank You!!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean, if prices are not posted at the window or somewhere I am afraid you may not be able to get the best deal as the clerk may realize you are not a local. Having said this, I have found better prices -and many times posted at the windowshops- in "Once". This is a traditional jewish neighborhood now with many koreans living and working there too. You should walk around the area of Corrientes and Pueyrredon but you must take your time... many shops and could be very crowded, plus quality may not be the highest. Others here have mentioned "Munro" for specific type of clothing. I honestly would not know where you could find good deals on leather. If nothing comes up, contact Erna (contact form at the top right corner) or visit her at her office and she can give you the address of the person who does leather work for her.

sean cahoon
Username: Sean123456

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for that.

What about getting goods at some sort of flea market or outdoor sirt of thing?

Is haggling for prices accepted here?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haggling... I would think so. But only in some circumstances. Cabs, restaurants, No. Clothing, it would not hurt to ask for a discount. We have a saying in Argentina that comes from tango "el que no llora, no mama".

Flea markets are tricky. I think the one in San Telmo 'mercado de pulgas' would have premium prices anyway. Just too many tourists. The general answer is that you will be able to find good prices somewhere provided you have the time to walk or have a local with you. I would try the flea markets in the Palermo viejo area, specially the one in Costa Rica/Armenia. These will have mostly locals and mostly good stuff.

Niceto Vega y Dorrego (I think Dorrego 1600)
Armenia y Costa Rica (Plaza Palermo viejo)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration