Football in buenos aires Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Tours and Attractions » Football in buenos aires « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john lo
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi

i'm travelling to buenos aires in mid september and are wanting to get to a football game or two.
possibly a boca or river plate.

any advice on how to get tickets?
other relevant info with the football

cheers
John

Michelle Alison
Username: Michellealison

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John,

It is far too early for the fixtures to be out for next season.

Please post again nearer to September and I will post the fixture list.

Regards

Michelle

john lo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for that Michelle,
will post again

I'm assuming the hardest part is buying the tickets
and knowing where to sit and where to get them

cheers

John

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

John,

I will explain to you nearer the time how to get tickets and where to sit. Everything in Argentina is done late!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Michelle

john lo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for that.

i have also noticed that the fixture for the season has changed from what was initiall came out with games one week later due toi the season starting a week late.

we are there on the weekend of 19/9 and see that boca is playing godoy?

is it hard to get tickets to boca home games,

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John, the football started yesterday, two weeks late. Things have changed a lot. Firstly, now all the 10 premiership matches are shown live on TV, channel 7, free of charge every week, including Boca and River. In the past, all the big matches were shown as pay per view, hence many people would have to go to the matches, or watch them in local cafes, as many Argentines don't pay for the extra sports channels.

I am not sure what the ramifications will be as I am sure less people will go to the matches, lost revenue, and cafes will also lose business, as many football supporters will just stay at home to watch the matches. I know the government is thinking that they are helping by plunging money into football, but are they really helping or are they trying to make the people forget about the real problems in the country by turning minds back to their beloved football. Who knows????

Unless you are a Boca ticket holder, you won't be able to just buy a ticket as there are no tickets available. Apparently there is a five year waiting list to become a member. Because of the above, let's hope that prices for Boca will fall. Tangol for instance are charging USD 150 (nearly 600 pesos)to see a Boca game. I just checked out the Tangol website and it seems for the first time, they are offering standing tickets for 250 pesos. I personally wouldn't want to stand with the Boca fans, what with the pushing and shoving and of course all the flags, you might not get to see anything.

If you want to see a match at a reasonable price (around 100 pesos), I suggest you look at River Plate. You can buy the tickets easily and directly from the stadium and the stadium is in a nice area and easy to get to. Many tourists have done River matches without a tour company.

I hope this information helps.

Michelle

john lo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Michelle

thanks for the info and insight.

we get into BA on a thursday (17/9)and leave the following thurs.
From what i see there will be no river home games while we are there. Originally there was but as schedule has changed they are now playing the following week.

the weekend we are there,
boca play godoy
arsenal play river. (according to TANGOL)

do you think the tickets with TANGOL that are in the popular (boca- standing) would be with all the fans, as the tour say you have a guide with you in safe areas lol.

Do you also know any other tour operators that does football tours?

all the info you have given has really helped and thank you a lot.

John

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John,

I suggest you send an e-mail to Tangol in English and ask them about the standing at Boca and whether you will be with the hardcore fans or not? I can't see how they will be able to keep you separate, but maybe they can.

The reason I recommend Tangol is because we have used them a few times and have been very happy. I would never recommend a company I haven't used. Hopefully there is somebody on here who can recommend another company.

Although you may think you don't have a lot of time, believe me, 24 days is a long time in Argentina. Argentines arrange dinner/birthday parties on the actual day!!!!!

Regards

Michelle

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John,

I suggest you send an e-mail to Tangol in English and ask them about the standing at Boca and whether you will be with the hardcore fans or not? I can't see how they will be able to keep you separate, but maybe they can.

The reason I recommend Tangol is because we have used them a few times and have been very happy. I would never recommend a company I haven't used. Hopefully there is somebody on here who can recommend another company.

Although you may think you don't have a lot of time, believe me, 24 days is a long time in Argentina. Argentines arrange dinner/birthday parties on the actual day!!!!!

Regards

Michelle

john lo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Michelle,
Thanks for the info.

I have sent an email to TANGOL. Just waiting on a reply.
So have you been to a boca home game?

also last question, when you've booked with TANGOL before, did you do quite a bit before or just days before? as i'm assuming they'll probably have the tickets also available closer to the day

cheers

John

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and son have been to Boca games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I suppose my son is lucky, being able to live in Argentina and see some wonderful games, especially as he is a football fanatic from the UK.

I would just book it a week in advance and pay online. Much easier and simplier than having to go and find their offices before the match to pay.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Michelle

john lo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I must be like your son as i love my football as well.
Also heading to rio after argentina and going to try and watch a game at the maracana.

i heard back from tangol and they said the popular seats are on the other side of the hooligans and is safe, and your also with a tour guide.
so might end up doing that

thanks for your help

John

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John,

Let us know what you do and how you get on.

Enjoy the football and of course Argentina.

Regards

Michelle

nellie Peck
Username: Skiracer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello-

My husband and I are headed to BA at the end of November? Will we be able to catch a game then? When does the season start/ end?
If we can catch a game- what team/ venue would you recommend we see a game?

Thanks,
Nellie

john lo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Michelle,
i ended up going with TANGOL and the weekend we were there, there was a boca home game on. We took the populares seats and these were fine. We sat opposite the boca 12th man area, where i guess they can be rowdier but still amongst all the fans chanting and dancing. We had no problems seeing the game so they were awesome.
Only problem was that boca ended up losing 3-2.
We also managed to watch a game at the maracana in brazil and estadio nacional in montevideo.
nellie peck, the two main teams are boca juniors and river plate so seeing either of these teams would be good.
Games i think will be played till the end of the year, predominately on weekends but i think there are also mid week games
cheers
John

Michelle Alison

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi John and thanks for posting. It's always nice to hear how people get on and to pass on first hand advice.

Nelli Peck, what date will you be in Buenos Aires? As John says, there are many games played over the Friday, Saturday and Sunday and also many Copa Libertadores games, so you won't have any problem seeing a match.

Regards

Michelle

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration