Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Tours and Attractions » Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken Kerr
Username: Doctork

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am a fan of thouroughbred horse racing (and the wagering that goes along with it).

Does anyone from this forum have any experience with the racing in Buenos Aries? Is there a specfic season, or does it go year-round. Is betting on horses like in the US?

Is the atmosphere touristy and welcoming, or is it very much a "locals only" type of experience?

craig shell
Username: Craig

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, Ken
I was in BsAs for about 4 months this year from Jan. to April and I went to the Hipodromo about 10 times dont know if there is a season but there was racing a couple of nights a week during that time period. It was never more than 20% full it was low key and fun. It reminds me a little like Santa Anita
I am rather upset that I missed the polo season though

Alan Patrick
Username: Alanpatrick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ken!

I quite like a bet on the horses too ;)

The racing season is ALL YEAR ROUND in Buenos Aires. The main venue is the Hipodromo Argentino in Palermo. There are meetings every Monday, each week on either Friday or Saturday, and about one Sunday per month.

Betting is similar to on course betting in the UK, where we have something called the TOTE. I am not sure if you have something like that in the US too?

This weekend it was the Argentine Derby - the 'Gran Premio Nacional', at the Hipodromo. Really excellent day out.

I just wrote a blog post about it with lots of pictures and more information, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it here in this forum...am I? Don't want to break any rules with my first post!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 852
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alan welcome!

In general, such links seem self-promotional and are discouraged. Most members who own/write blogs contribute in such a way that others naturally look to know more about them and end up clicking on their profiles where members can have links to personal sites, just like in your case.

I'd say if in your first post you drop a link, it will probably be deleted. Most members who are allowed to post personal contact information or even solicit business have earned some degree of trust. They gave, so they can take... Not everybody agrees with this but this is the general tone for the forum.

I did look at your site. I am positive you can answer many questions and offer great insights that may help you get leads so I am hoping you visit often. This forum becomes active in spades. Sometimes it is dormant and all of sudden many people have inquiries or look for answers...

Alan Patrick
Username: Alanpatrick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto, thanks for the welcome!

I understand about the links. No problem...

Just to clear up one thing, my website / blog on Buenos Aires does not sell anything, it is just information on the city, so I am not looking for 'leads'. Actually a lot of people do think I am a tour guide (probably due to my URL) - I did in fact used to be - but these days I am just offering a 'virtual tour' of the city! (Free, of course)

I will check in every so often and see if I can help out with any advice about BA.

In fact, Ken, the Original Poster, did as you say make it to my site through my profile and contacted me, and hopefully now we will meet up for a day at the races when he is in BA! :-)

robert cohen
Username: Bobcat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i M NOT SURE I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS BUT IF I CAN GET SOME HELP WITH MY PLANS TO BUENOS AIRES THAT WOULD B GREAT

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration